Help for Lansing trip

• iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Hey all – I am going to try fishing the Mississippi for the first time on Sat. Going in at Lansing. I have some maps and GPS for navigation. Just wondering if anyone wants to help me out with any tips as to where to start, techniques etc. I don’t know that I really want to mess with the main current areas, and more prone to looking for some backwater bass, crappies etc. Would love to find some small mouth and will chase walleyes also. This is something my brother and I have talked about for years, and we are finally going to make it happen. I have a 16′ Alumacraft with 40 horse on it. Thanks in advance and I will post results on Monday.

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

PM sent

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

this will work while you get used to your boat. and it will work fine for the spring during high flow.
    But, when the flow slows down, the eyes are going to go out to the wing dams and relate to the flow. you have to follow them.
    But, that will be after you have a months worth of experience with the boat.
    Relax an wear a PFD. It gives you a chance ot get out of the water before the next dam…

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Thanks for the advice guys – don’t worry, I always wear the life jacket. I am in that excited but scared stage. It sounds like the weather is going to be great, so will be fun. Look for report on Monday. (and hopefully pics!!!!)

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Be careful around there going down cuts and sloughs. Many of them have closing dams. Go very slow and drift over them until you know how much clearance you have. just south of Lansing is a power plant that has a bunch of long wingdams which hold fish year round. I would anchor up and pitch jigs at those.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.