Out of state boaters and Invasive Species stickers

• grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

We plan on spending a week at Reddoor this June. We are coming up from Iowa, will I need this new sticker and if I do where do I get it?
    Thanks for your help.

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

The way the law reads you need the sticker, Mn DNR will send you one for free, no rules on where to put it, mine is on the bottom of a storage compartment,lower half has to go on your trailer by the winch. I called the Mn DNR to get mine, its free,stupid idea in my opinion. I wonder how much they are spending on printing and mailing these stickers as they are now increasing license fees?

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

^ no crap, I was thinking the same, makes me a bit upset. Wayyy more important matters the money could go to.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

What I’ve read here on IDO,
    2013 or 2014 is when it is mandatory to have them on our equipment…

Correct me if I’m wrong.

Till then, I’ll display no stickers before their time!

BBKK
    IA

I contacted the DNR about it. All watercraft- even non resident- need to have the sticker!

They are giving written and verbal warnings until 2014- then the tickets start. So you do not need them until 2014, if you want to sit idle for 10 minutes while the CO writes you out a warning.

Myself, I emailed the MN DNR and they sent me stickers in the mail at no cost. Took me 30 seconds to write the email, and about 10 seconds to slap it on.

40 seconds and I don’t have to worry about it again.. but to most people that is a waste of time because you dont want to follow the rule until they make you (2014). Problems with authority get you nowhere in life.

(by the way, on the sticker instructions it says to place anywhere on the boat. Mine is under the dash by my feet)

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

“by the way, on the sticker instructions it says to place anywhere on the boat. Mine is under the dash by my feet)”

Cool maybe I’ll put mine on the bottom of the boat…Get your snorkel there Mr. DNR. LOL

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I’m thinking if your boat is registered in Wi and your on the river, it would only apply to MN boats.

These stickers will be in most bait shops/tackle store now, if not soon. But as mentioned no big deal since the first two years is education and only warnings.

desperado

Problems with authority got this group of guys into the history books:
    Jefferson, Washington, Paine, Adams, Henry, Hamilton, Revere, Greene, and Hale.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

All watercraft- even non resident- need to have the sticker!

Isn’t the Mississippi part of MN waters?

I mean really, people from WI need to have a sticker or else they will forget about AIS and drag a bale of weeds down the road while running to Gander Mountain in Woodbury.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Brian, I heard you had volunteered your front yard for a AIS drop-off site. Given your interest in being part of the solution, isn’t this going just a tad to far?

As I was sitting in the reading room this morning paging through the May Infishermen, was I surprised to see your smiling face holding up a big catfish. Nice!~

grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

Thanks for the info fellas. I emailed them this morning.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Thanks for the info fellas. I emailed them this morning.

Would you be kind enough to post the email ad here as well.

Quote:

Brian, I heard you had volunteered your front yard for a AIS drop-off site. Given your interest in being part of the solution, isn’t this going just a tad to far?

Which problem are we talking about? Stopping the spread of something that is un stoppable, or the wasting of taxpayer money?

The media hype, the Governor (who by the way does not know the difference between a big head carp and a muskie)Lake Associations and other “nature” groups have this whole AIS thing over hyped.

As I’ve said before, I will follow the laws and would never encourage folks to break the laws. The problem I see is when a new Governor takes office (whenever that is), there will be a new direction taken…unfortunately, millions will have been spent…for nothing.

Kudo’s to the State of WI for not attending these Carp meetings and other over-hyped BS.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

On another side of this, I heard from another guy that the State only authorized printing 400,000 stickers, Minnesota has 800,000 registered watercraft? ?

Duh, wonder who figured this out?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

“Well Oiled Machine”

desperado

Quote:

On another side of this, I heard from another guy that the State only authorized printing 400,000 stickers, Minnesota has 800,000 registered watercraft?
    Duh, wonder who figured this out?

Typical deficit mathmatics.
    Obviously was done by someone who’s quite comfortable with govt operating in the deficient zone.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Not saying this to pis- anyone off but I doubt I’ll be going to Minnesota to fish, too many rules and regulations. I’d be afraid of breaking a law thats made for just one certain lake or area. Don’t take this personal guys, its just that theres toooo many rules to worry about, even the Mississippi. Some of the regulations I’ve seen posted here are a total waist of time and fishermens liscense money that could go to better things to accomplish. Right Brian, a well oiled machine.

mojogunter

That is your right to not fish in MN. Many of the rules and regs in MN are a joke. Plenty of bullheads to keep you busy in Iowa.

Quote:

Not saying this to pis- anyone off but I doubt I’ll be going to Minnesota to fish, too many rules and regulations. I’d be afraid of breaking a law thats made for just one certain lake or area. Don’t take this personal guys, its just that theres toooo many rules to worry about, even the Mississippi. Some of the regulations I’ve seen posted here are a total waist of time and fishermens liscense money that could go to better things to accomplish. Right Brian, a well oiled machine.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

To remember ones visit to Mn the stickers handed out to out-staters will be Fire Pink, thicker and with an industrial glue. Last I heard the bleeding of pink from the sticker into Gel coat has been solved.?

desperado

doesn’t that industrial strength adhesive become corrosive when exposed to any trace of cheddar?
    (i.e. just the fumes from driving by a cheese factory)

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Lol mossy, I fished with one of your fellow Iowans a few weeks ago up on the rainy river during the spring walleye run and he couldn’t stop talking about how lucky “we Minnesotans ” are to have such great fishing so close to home. He said they have nothing even close to what we have but have fun this spring checking your trot lines

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Not saying this to pis- anyone off but I doubt I’ll be going to Minnesota to fish,…

Then our plan is working.

Just kidding. I can’t say I blame you and I don’t think you have to worry about any of us taking it personally. Well, maybe the guy who posted above me does. I don’t know why he has to pick on bullheads.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Quote:

Not saying this to pis- anyone off but I doubt I’ll be going to Minnesota to fish,…

Just kidding. I can’t say I blame you and I don’t think you have to worry about any of us taking it personally. Well, maybe the guy who posted above me does. I don’t know why he has to pick on bullheads.

I think it’s great that we don’t have to worry about mossy coming here to fill his freezer with MN fish. I actually wish more people would take his stance.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I think it’s great that we don’t have to worry about mossy coming here to fill his freezer with MN fish. I actually wish more people would take his stance.

And stay off my lawn!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

what an ingnorant comment, one guy chimes in about how his perception of the rules will affect his spending of his tourism dollars. Then there’s an entire thread about the possibility of the fishing license fees going up and the the people who are against paying anything extra. (I get the part at throwing more money at the government agency)Ok Mr. Pile why do you think your fees have not gone up to this point? Can’t wait for the first guy from MN says that he can’t afford a fishing license anymore, then all of us tourists can jump in and say, “good I wish there were more like this!” yuck yuck, I think I caught a fish with your name on it too.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

what an ingnorant comment, one guy chimes in about how his perception of the rules will affect his spending of his tourism dollars. Then there’s an entire thread about the possibility of the fishing license fees going up and the the people who are against paying anything extra. (I get the part at throwing more money at the government agency)Ok Mr. Pile why do you think your fees have not gone up to this point? Can’t wait for the first guy from MN says that he can’t afford a fishing license anymore, then all of us tourists can jump in and say, “good I wish there were more like this!” yuck yuck, I think I caught a fish with your name on it too.

Chill dude, do you run trot lines and keep every thing you catch? No? Then I welcome you to the great state of Minnesota!! But if you think it should be a free for all like your home state please stay home

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Take a breath Chomps.

Mossy takes shots well.

As far as the increase in fees goes. I’m all for more money going to the DNR. Just divert all funding (including meetings and hearings, training the inspectors, boat washing stations, money for “feasibility studies”…) from the AIS over hype to the DNR.

Hell, might bring down the out of state licenses and Mossy can bring his ditty poles on up.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Not sure about Tim though.

desperado

time for Sgt Hulka cameo appearance ?

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Chill dude, do you run trot lines and keep every thing you catch? No? Then I welcome you to the great state of Minnesota!! But if you think it should be a free for all like your home state please stay home

how about I chill when you quit writing such dumb stuff!!!! Nowhere do I fish, yes I have licenses in 4 other states, do I see the raping of the resources as I see in MN. Now that being said, I think there is the perception of bountiful abundance in YOUR state, which is why some of the MN residents take rules for granted. Come down here where we have limited resources and you will also see the same behavior. And what’s a trot line? A new form of square dancing?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.