Been asked before, but….

• Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

So I have looked in another part of the forums, where a guy was asking how or where to get a rod made for a gift. Got me thinking, I’d like to get one made for myself, or even find a place to possibly make one myself with guidance(either a class or someone who makes them and has all the tools). Thought it would be awesome. So…where do I start? (I, of course, would get all the materials needed for making my own rod.) Somewhere close to the Twin Cities, I am in Woodbury.

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Thorne Bros

X2

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Check with Thorne Brothers or Gander and see if they offer classes or know of someone who does. Maybe even Joe’s Sporting Goods in St. Paul could help.

As far as having one custom made. Most guys sell you the blank and hardware to build it to your specs. They will wrap it in the color thread you want. They will give you the handle and reel seat you want. Also they will recommend the eyes you should have for the line you intend to use. Finally they will sign your name or anything else you made want on it.

I have had Aron at Fishing Freaks make me some rods. I was very happy with the job and price.

I’m sure he will chime in here at some point.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

I have been having my custom rods made by a gentleman in Des Moines,Ia. Walter Rehberg is his name, he builds rods as a hobby and they are great! He will make them anyway you would like and puts any design or your name on them. I had a 7″2 spinning rod made last year and its only rod I use for pitching jigs anymore. You can e-mail [email protected] or call him 515-554-8190. Tell him Chad sent you and he will take care of what you are looking for.

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

I know Thorne Bros does, but, a little more less…

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

what kind of rod? if its a cat rod, i know of just the place.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Quote:

Check with Thorne Brothers or Gander and see if they offer classes or know of someone who does. Maybe even Joe’s Sporting Goods in St. Paul could help.

As far as having one custom made. Most guys sell you the blank and hardware to build it to your specs. They will wrap it in the color thread you want. They will give you the handle and reel seat you want. Also they will recommend the eyes you should have for the line you intend to use. Finally they will sign your name or anything else you made want on it.

I have had Aron at Fishing Freaks make me some rods. I was very happy with the job and price.

I’m sure he will chime in here at some point.

Thanks, Brian! There are a myriad of options out there, that’s for sure. If you’re wanting to learn to build a rod, Thorne Bros has a class. You’ll learn some good things from them on wrapping and finishing the guides. I don’t know what they teach you about making grips – if it’s just glueing on pre-made grips, there’s not a lot of value there. But if they show you how to make your own grips, you’re on your way.

If you’re looking to have one built for you, drop me a PM, and we can talk. I’m over in Rogers. I could show you a lot of options and build you a great rod in your price range.

If you want to build your own and don’t want to do the class, I could also help you get started.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Thorne Bros

X2

x3

They will walk you step by step through the process showing you what to do and then letting you at it. From selecting the cork you want to cluing it together, to sanding it down and tying the wraps…etc. They will take you through the process one on one. I was very happy with how my first rod turned out and what I learned.

Now if I just had more money to spend on rods….

sandmannd

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thorne Bros

X2

x3

They will walk you step by step through the process showing you what to do and then letting you at it. From selecting the cork you want to cluing it together, to sanding it down and tying the wraps…etc. They will take you through the process one on one. I was very happy with how my first rod turned out and what I learned.

Now if I just had more money to spend on rods….

100% go with Thorne Bros.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.