SOPA

• mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I dont get it. -Mark

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Its a bill that is currently being viewed that will allow sites to censor materials, even before it was proven to be piracy

SPOA News cast

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

This is about the legislation they are about to shove down our throats that would allow the govt to take away the right to free speech and censor the internet. Its kind of a big deal!!! If they were to have their way, these could replace our images of fishing and hunting.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Actually, a little different. The government wants to stop illegal copying of copy right protected content. The legislation appears to target websites and webiste owners of activities carried out by people who use their site to transfer content. So, in effect yes the government would ax copied content on private websites and hold the owners accountable.

An example. I go to a Metallica concert and video a song then upload it to youtube. The content is copy right protected. The government would dust the video and fine youtube for allowing me to upload it. Websites fear any government action is no different than censorship. And who’s to say the government dusts something because they just don’t like it and claim it was a copy right infraction.

Carful who you vote for in the future!!

-J.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Quote:

Actually, a little different. The government wants to stop illegal copying of copy right protected content. The legislation appears to target websites and webiste owners of activities carried out by people who use their site to transfer content. So, in effect yes the government would ax copied content on private websites and hold the owners accountable.

An example. I go to a Metallica concert and video a song then upload it to youtube. The content is copy right protected. The government would dust the video and fine youtube for allowing me to upload it. Websites fear any government action is no different than censorship. And who’s to say the government dusts something because they just don’t like it and claim it was a copy right infraction.

Carful who you vote for in the future!!

-J.

Good Point, http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/

There is a list of the congressmen and women in favor and opposed to this legislation. Included in the in favor catagory are Franken and Klobachar

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

My frustration is why more laws? There is already copyright laws. Privately enforce the existing laws. Gov’t should not be Big Brother looking down upon us.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Thanks for the post. And thanks for that link. Any bill that brings Bachmann, Ron Paul and Pelosi together in opposition cannot be good!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

This is the best image I could find explaining this proposed law.

Edited by:Mpls Pug

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

This is the best image I could find explaining this proposed law.

Edited by:Mpls Pug

Careful Brian. People might see this and think SOPA is a good thing!

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Another example would be that someone, let’s say a spammer, posts a link to some copyright material on IDO. IDO could then get fined and blocked for linking to the illegal content.

In other words, they are burning down the forest to cut down a tree.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The internet is one of the few places where we almost have absolute freedom. And the government wants to come in and ruin that because some media giants are throwing money at them.

I think the entertainment industry is so backwards, that I sometimes think they are probably run by the Mafia. They certainly act like entitlement thugs.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Today’s Wall street Journal has a great article explaining both sides.

From what I read and understand it started out to Stop Piracy of Movies and Recording by Foreign companies on websites marketed back to the USA.

WSJ: A Guide to understanding SOPA

WSJ: New Media vs. Old Media Rules
    Yet?
    Some good reading to understand SOPA & PIPA. Seems like a great idea turned into a huge nightmarish problem like many ideas in Congress.

Now the latest:
    SOPA face new hurdles

Now I’m but I like the original intent, but now I’m against it.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Anyone been to Google or Wikipedia today?

Silly question!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I’m guessing the Wiki Leaks site didn’t help. Uncle Sam doesn’t like having their dirty laundry aired.

clicker

Quote:

What is google?

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

Quote:

What is google?

Isn’t that when you stare “Google” at a Womans chest too longggg?

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Just a sneaky way to move us closer to communism, simple as that. The internet is about freedom, and they’re going to take it away. This is going to be a big step in their final end game: taxation.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

It is being reported now that Congress will drop this legislation.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.