Comcast vs Direct TV

• wormdunker

I think the title says it all but I am currently considering a switch from the Old Triple “screw” Play to Direct TV.
    Got last months bill from Comcrap and noticed a $28 increase. Since I began with Comcast my internet has experienced slow downs, I often cannot get clear tv images. A couple very popular channels never even work. I cant tell you the last time I picked up the handset on the old curly cord phone (kidding).
    I have tried to remedy the connection problems many times. Usually my attempt includes 40 minutes on hold followed by an offer for a friendly technician to visit my house on a weekday between 8am and 3 pm. Yeah I gotta work to pay this god aweful bill now I gotta take a day off too?
    Anyway The change may be coming. We enjoy all the cooking, home improvement, hunt/fish and sports channels. Hockey is paramount so we need Big 10, FSN and Versus/Universal Sports. Looks like Direct TV has these all covered.
    Has anyone made this change? Was it painful? I am not looking forward to changing my email adress but it may have to happen. Thoughts, comments ?
    Thanks

milemark_714

Been there,done that.”Crimecast”is no different that Charter(more ).Instead,we switched to CenturyLink(internet/prism).So far,much better than what Charter had.Others said that DTV was a much better option.They are very helpful,unlike cable.

mike_v
    carver Mn

Quote:

an offer for a friendly technician to visit my house on a weekday between 8am and 3 pm.

I wish this was true. The techs work 8 am to 630pm, service calls are offered 7 days a week.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I recently switched from Mediacom to Direct, I have been really happy so far. The Direct TV DVR has something like 10 times the capacity the crappy mediacom DVR had so that is really nice too.
    We haven’t lost our Direct signal since we got it back in Sept, mediacom would lose signal a couple times a month which was annoying.

If you know someone with Direct make sure you mention that when you sign up…you both get $100 off your bill in $10 increments. If by some chance you don’t know anyone with Direct PM and you can use me, it will save us both $100.

I also went with Century link internet and they actually partner with Direct so there was another $5 off for that.
    Discounts are good wherever you can get them.

Just my experience so far…haven’t gone through a full winter yet so we’ll see if I have issues with the snow.

wkw

Have you checked out DishNetwork ? I’ve it for years and have had no problems.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I made the switch from comcast to direct about 2 months now. Comcast is nothing but a bunch of crooks! Hate them!!!!!! I love direct! Don’t forget to get the discounts!

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Quote:

Have you checked out DishNetwork ? I’ve it for years and have had no problems.

Definately check out Dish…..I’ve had it too for years and when I got my HiDef TV they came and gave me the new HD receiver free. I had to sign up for another two years but I also got free HD for life. I believe other companies have a monthly charge for HD

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Switched from Charter to DirecTV last February through Centurylink. They had a triple bundle for $85 a month. Got my first bill and it was $235. The lowest I have been able to get it is around $130. I know for a fact I have spent over 10 hours on the phone fighting with DirecTV and CenturyLink about bills and DirecTV has been out 3 times to fix issues since Feb. And there have been 6 or 8 times where they have helped me figure them out over the phone or I’ve figured them out on my own. As soon as my fricken contract is up, I will be going back to Charter.

markmoran
    Rochester MN

Switched from Charter to Directv and have never been happier. I get all the same channels, except the Rochester NBC, plus a lot more for 50 bucks. Compare that to 90 from charter. I still have Charter internet and that bill is down to 30 so I am saving 40 bucks plus I got the NFL Sunday Ticket for free and movies for free. I also have gotten a referral so I saved 10 bucks a month for 10 months. If you need the name of a guy I can get you that. He sells Dish, Direct and Century, I believe he is based out of the south metro right now, an old HS buddy. He could answer all your questions though. Saved my family a lot of money!

stevedobie
    Central, MN

Got to play the game every 2 years. I am on Direct now and switching to Dish next

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

We made the switch in June HOWEVER we kept or internet through cable because in inclimate weather the satellite does not always prevail

So far I am extremely happy with the dish. Way more channels and a lot more on demand channel selections.

russ0101
    Brooklyn Park, mn

We have had both and have now cut out any provider. I have a pc with a tuner card and an antenna connected to that. Also installed a HD video card so I have all the channels in HD if broadcasted in HD. With Windows 7, comes windows media center so we have the onscreen guide and dvr all for the price of free. I still get my outdoor programming by streaming it via websites and all on the 52″ tv. Can’t beat that for monthly tv charges.

siclone
    W. Lakeland

Been with Directv over a year. I signed up through Costco’s website and got a $180 Costco gift card, even though I’m not a Costco member (it’s only a $120 gc now). Was a Directv customer back when it first came out, so I knew what to expect. I’m satisfied, but am still paying about $100 for Choice Xtra (1 HD-DVR, 2 HD, and 1 regular box). Kept my Comcast internet at $52/month because DSL where I live is only 1.5 megs.

Pros:
    The HD quality is better, and there are a lot more HD channels. Like others have said, the DVR has much more memory and the ability to watch your recording from any other HD box in the house it great. Lower monthly fees for additional boxes (Comcast really gets you on the additional HD boxes).

Cons:
    There have been a few blackouts due heavy rain and thunderstorms. Sometimes the wet snow sticks to the dish, so I use a long pole to tap it off. On-demand is not as good as Comcast because you have to download programs to your dvr (which takes time) versus instantly watching it on Comcast, and for kids, there is much more content/programs on Comcast. Discounts are quirky as some are for the 1st year only. 2 year contract.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.