My dog has limes disease?

• John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

My yellow lab contracted limes disease. The vet says her kidney is under attack and precribed some medication. I was wondering if any of you have had a dog with limes disease and had any luck with the medication? I dont want the dog to suffer, so I might just put her down. All advice would be welcome.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

My yellow lab has gone thru lymes last fall as well. The antibiotics work wonders with getting her back to normal. I was lucky enough to catch it early, no organ damage that we know of now, she is back to normal now.

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

Unfortunately I had to put my “Tess” down after she contracted Lymes a second time. The first time she fought it with the medicine…the second time the kidneys failed. Sorry to hear your news.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

My Black Lab, Boomer has been treated twice with great results. He’s napping now…I told him we were getting up early for ducks tomorrow.

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

Been thru it with the meds and no problems. Still guiding with him at the game farm and running him in SD.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Thanks for the replys, I will give the medication some time and see how she responds. This happened so quick, 3 days ago she was fine then this mourning she was throwing up some blood. Hopefully she pulls through this. Thanks

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

I THINK YOU SHOULD ASK YOUR DOGS OPINION ABOUT PAIN VS DEAD? DOGS CAN HANDLE SO MUCH, MUCH MORE THAN US [censored] HUMANS – DON’T BE QUICK ON THIS DECISION, OK.. KEEP TESTING KIDNEY FUNCTION TWICE A WEEK?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

my past lab had it 3 times and lived to be 14 with no issues. Good luck.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Grumpy is right. Don’t be hasty here.

The doxycycline should take care of the bacteria fine. Then it’s a matter of how soon you caught it.

Give her at least a month to recover, maybe two months on kidneys. One can live on one kidney or two 50% kidneys…

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

One of mine has lymes and another tick disease I can’t pronounce. With antibiotics and some care they can maintain a fantastic quality of life.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I dont want the dog to suffer

Heart wrenching isn’t it.

Hope she gets better soon!

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

I would have not posted on here unless I wanted to hear from other dog owners experiences. Trust me I am a dog lover, but at the same time I will not stand and watch an animal suffer that has little chances of surviving. The vet said we would know by Monday if the medicine is working. She told us they have had to put down 4 dogs this month so far with lymes disease. She did not give us a very good sense that my dog would get better. I am glad to hear of other dogs having good success with the medicine. Hopefully this will work.

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

John- Do what your vet tells you to do. My lab had the same thing and the Meds did their deal. Wish you and your dog the best of luck.

John

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

Sorry to hear about your dog. It is never a easy thing when such a heart felt member of your family is ill.

I am not trying to take your post but as a dog owner of a very active hunting dog that I have pulled over 20 deer ticks off this season alone I have a question for all of you that have or have had dogs with Lymes.

Did you give your dog regular vaccines for Lymes disease?

I have been giving it to my dog since a pup but I am wondering if it is effective with all the people that are dealing with it infecting their dogs?

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Good advice Grumpy.

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Hang in there and least give the meds a try. Im pullin for you both. Wil

mfreeman451

why don’t you just get a lymes vaccination from the vet for your pet?

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

After doing some research online with this disease, I have found that labs are more acceptable to getting the more severe case of lymes with the kydney’s being infected. By the way my dog was vaccinated, which also brings me to this point. When reading these studies I found information that states that not all vets believe in the vaccination. Apparently it can be harmful because it messes with the dogs immune system and adds extra protiens that can harm the dog. It stated most vets will reccomend the vaccine in the areas that ticks are more prevelant. This mourning I had to put the pills in her throat so she would take them. She will not eat and looks very sick. She still try’s to wag her tail when I come near her.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

She still try’s to wag her tail when I come near her.

Friend to the end, no matter what.

Hang in there RG.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

the vaccine has about a 50% efficacy. I son’t suggest it unless you are in a high risk zone. It screws up diagnosis. Given that treatment is VERY effective, i’d almost rather have an accurate estimate and treat after.
    FWIW, i also got it myself. Glad I got my doxycycline in a timely fashion. I would have wagged my tail to the last day…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

We have two retreivers that were in really bad shape. Wouldn’t eat, no activity, and looking pretty bad. The meds did wonders and in about 3 months appeared to be back to normal.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

the vaccine has about a 50% efficacy. I son’t suggest it unless you are in a high risk zone. It screws up diagnosis. Given that treatment is VERY effective, i’d almost rather have an accurate estimate and treat after.
    FWIW, i also got it myself. Glad I got my doxycycline in a timely fashion. I would have wagged my tail to the last day…

stu:

Thinking just about time for me to go in and get mine too, so far my dogs are lymes free, but am doing a better job of prevention this year also… In the last two years, 20 ticks would be in one one hour outing and just one dog… In some hot zones up here 70-80 in an hour session with both dogs grouse hunting might be normal…

RG: I am so hoping that your dog recovers from what its dealing with, just some nasty tick stuff going on out there right now with erlichiosis and anaplasmosis (may have spelled both wrong). I know on the hunting side Steve White, after loosing a hound to the stuff, has been using some sprays with small amounts of pymentrin in it.
    Ticks
    Tick Prevention

God’s Speed for your dog’s recovery!!!

Mark

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Randy,
    How long after the first initial treatment with meds did it take for them to start eating?

All the words are encouraging and I am glad that this site is available to get information as such.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

It can take 10 days to two weeks.

Don’t worry about the food thing. I’ve had dogs go from 75# down to 35#, then come back.

The critical thing is the tail thump. If the tail is thumping, then you’ve got a dog that wants to fight. When the tail stops thumping, you listen. They’ll tell you the day they want to go…

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Well she passed last night. I hope you guys dont let your friend down, check daily. She is now resting at her favorite tree, where she liked to chase her favorite squirrel.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Sorry for you loss

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Sorry to hear.

-J.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Sorry for your loss.

I would urge you to get a post mort done to determine what the real cause of death was. Most vets who’ve been handling the case will do a basic for free. My simples cost me $100 out here.

Sorry again. She was a trooper…

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Sorry to hear, for those of us whose dogs are more than just a tool, it’s a heartbreaker.

Al

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

RG:

Sorry to hear!!! God Speed to you & your family as you heal and move on…

Mark

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.