Domain names

• drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hey Everybody! I have a question for website people. I had what I think is a cool idea this morning and no I won’t tell you what is other then it isn’t anything connected with fishing/hunting. So I registered a domain name for my idea. The name is not out there so it is mine. And I registered it under .com, .net and .org. It could work under any of those. The domain site is trying to get me to register it under about 10 more dot.whatevers and I think it is overkill. What do you guys think? Thanks for the input!

Joel

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If you have those three… you’re good in my opinion.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

And you are the opinion I was looking for! Thanks James!

Joel

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Not knowing anything about the nature of your domain name the only other extension I would consider would be .info.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My employer was talked into buy $1500. worth of domain names under the premise customers would find us in searches faster.

He tossed his money into cyperspace.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I depends, but most likely those other names would be overkill. The most important thing is if you plan on generating most of your traffic through search engines or Google Adwords is to have the phrase contained in the domain, in the proper order that you plan on targeting.

For example, if I was starting a catfish tackle website, I’d try to get the domain, catfishtackle or catfishgear. But that might get aquarium owners. So catfishfishingtackle or catfishfishinggear might be better.

Those domain likely would be taken, so you might have to insert some words without really making the domain hard to remember or too long. So maybe bestcatfishfishingtackle would work. Now Google will rank you higher when people search “catfish tackle” because it is in your domain name.

You probably already knew that and already selected the domain, but maybe this will help someone else.

I just like being able to speak to something I know and I am good at for once.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

C’mon Pug! Don’t be so hard on yourself. You are good at lots of things as far as we know.

dd

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

James I think I am going to cover .info as well and also do a variation on the name that is available. Thanks for the input.

dd

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Hey Everybody! I have a question for website people. I had what I think is a cool idea this morning and no I won’t tell you what is other then it isn’t anything connected with fishing/hunting. So I registered a domain name for my idea. The name is not out there so it is mine. And I registered it under .com, .net and .org. It could work under any of those. The domain site is trying to get me to register it under about 10 more dot.whatevers and I think it is overkill. What do you guys think? Thanks for the input!

Joel

Those are all fine, no need for any more. After that, it’s all about SEO (Search Engine Optimization). In other words, what comes up when you “Google” the keywords for your idea.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.