Cubs GM Out

• eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Cubs let GM Jim Hendry go today.

Seems like a nice guy but I’m glad they did.
    Maybe there is hope after all, depending on who they sign next.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Is Andy McPhail Still running the Cubs?

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Andy is in Baltimore but possibly not for long I like Hendry but the Cubs need something to shake things up. Unfortunately Hendry will always be haunted by the huge contracts and no trade clauses he handed out – his fault or not.

Time for the next chapter…

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

So he hasn’t had a lot of success since leaving the land of
    10,000 Catfishing Lakes.

hnd

hiring quade was the best thing that he did. its what got him fired.

i don’t blame quade for the bad record. bad contracts and injuries did that. i blame quade for the circus this year has become. he has no authority, he bumbles through press conferences, and generally looks like a deer in the headlights. He is so over his head its hilarious.

that i believe was the last straw.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Cubs are a prime example of mismanagement at the “lowest” level. The marketing execs over at Wrigley must be awesome. If they can continually sell that decrepit place out year after year when they put that slop of a team on the field……..well, they are miracle workers.

Ricketts OK’d the hiring of Quade. I don’t see much hope in a reversal of fortune on the field any time soon.

If I was a Cubs fan (which thankfully I’m not) I would have to ask 2 questions………….

1) If Cuban was owner would he have let Quade be hired?

2) If Cuban was owner would Hendry have lasted as long as he did?

Cubs fans will get a good idea of what Ricketts is about with the next GM hire. They need to blow out the whole field staff and front office and start over again. Swallow 60 million in contracts and release / trade these anchors around the franchises neck.

Next question is………..who is the man for the job?

hnd

quade was a bad hire, however, it was the hire they really had to make at the time. he did well in august and september. he earned the right to give it a shot. i think most new owners would of done the same thing.

a good owner hires a good gm to where he doesn’t have to OK any decisions they make. so we’ll see what he comes up with.

there is no way quade will last but whoever gets brought in will still lose for the next 2 or 3 years waiting for these horrible contracts to expire.

i’d of had no problem with cuban as our owner however i prefer stay out of the limelight owners. cuban wouldn’t of stepped in and fixed everything. it took him 11 years to put a champtionship banner in the rafters for dallas.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

quade was a bad hire, however, it was the hire they really had to make at the time. he did well in august and september. he earned the right to give it a shot. i think most new owners would of done the same thing.

a good owner hires a good gm to where he doesn’t have to OK any decisions they make. so we’ll see what he comes up with.

there is no way quade will last but whoever gets brought in will still lose for the next 2 or 3 years waiting for these horrible contracts to expire.

i’d of had no problem with cuban as our owner however i prefer stay out of the limelight owners. cuban wouldn’t of stepped in and fixed everything. it took him 11 years to put a champtionship banner in the rafters for dallas.

Agreed Cuban couldn’t change everything overnight. But what he could / would have changed was the mentality of “losing” is OK.

Those bad contracts need to be eaten now, waiting for them to expire just drags them through the muck longer. The question is does Ricketts have what it takes to hire a baseball person and let him do what needs to be done?

I don’t know much about Ricketts and where his money is. How deep are his pockets and is he self made or did he inherit his money?

In any event, it’s a great day for Cubs fans and long over due.

hnd

his father founded td ameritrade, but he didn’t work for his father and ran his own businesses until he sold them and took over tda. his claim to fame is he pretty much was the first out of the gate with online trading.

so he was born into money but id also say he is self made.

honda75
    Iowa

Glad to see Hendry go. He has made some very dumb hires. Glad Quade is the coach as well. Seems to be a fair coach and has been around the organization a long time. Now time to part ways with Zambrano and Soriano to start with.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

If they can continually sell that decrepit place out year after year when they put that slop of a team on the field……..

They aren’t selling out. You can go to the window and buy tix to the games. They are actively advertising seating for the remainder of the games. My guess is the fans aren’t going to accept a sub-par team any more.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.