Door Co

• iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Hey all – my wife and I are planning our first trip to Door Co in the middle of Sept. Just wondering if anyone has any tips are where to stay and things we MUST see. We are more into outdoor stuff and not the water parks and shopping centers of the Dells. We will NOT be fishing on this trip, but are scouting for future trips where the boat would come along too. Thanks in advance for your help.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Door County without fishing Just kidding, DC has a lot of cool stuff to offer.
    Google search “Door County, WI Parks” I would list them, but there is too many. There are so many miles of great shoreline and historical things to look at. We like to stop at at store just south of HWY Q, on HWY 57. I thinks it is named Koeff’s (I think) Some novelty things, but great selection of wines, and canned goods. Like any touristy area, it can be pricy, but they have been a good store for us over the years.
    The east side of DC (bay side) is the busy side. All the shops and stuff that I am not into is there. I’m a huge fan of Baileys and Rowleys Bay. They are quieter and not as much traffic. I have taken a liking to eating at the Rowley’s Bay Resturant, decent food and an ok price. Scenery there is great of the bay. If the water temps are still warm and calm, there is a guy that rents kayaks near there.
    The sunrises and sunsets over the bays are very cool. We generally stay north of Sister bay and really like that for the shorten distance we drive for everything. Expect people to drive WAY under the speed limit and no opportunity to pass them…..
    I do a lot of bass fish’n up there & don’t go that often for the eyes. So when you decide on a fish’n trip up there, drop me a line and I’ll do what I can to help you out.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Make sure you stop at The Savory Spoon Cooking School and Schoolhouse Cheese Shop. The have a very nice selection of Wisconsin artisan cheeses. Also homemade chocolates too. Janice & Mike are two of the finest people you will meet.

Also a must stop is Seaquist Orchards, largest cherry orchard in Wisconsin. Lots of fine products.

Very good place to eat in Gills Rock, can’t remember the name tho. Good food, good drinks, outdoor seating, weather permitting.

Don’t worry about the Dells type stuff. Once you cross the bridge at Sturgeon Bay you will feel like you are in the 1950’s. No fast food joints, no Kwik Trips or other convience stores. Not even political signs.

Make sure you drive all the way to the end of Hyw 42 where the ferry goes to Washington Island. You may even want to go to the island for a day.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

He wasn’t kidding about the sunsets….we fish salmon up there in mid July out of Gills Rock. As he said, the towns on the bay side are a bit touristy, but the women seem to like crusing the shops. Take her to Al Johnsons restaurant in Sister Bay – Log building/sod roof with goats on it. Ferry out to the Washington Island (check out the winding road and colorful trees on the way to the dock.
    Great time to be going.
    bestfishes – jim

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Thanks for all the great help guys. Notice I said – No fishing THIS TIME. I will show my wife the pics of the fine small mouth. Sometimes it is better to be patient and let her find out on her own how much she would like to fish up there (her idea then). Sounds like I will look more on the East side for a place to stay. I am hoping that the 2nd week in Sept might be a lull time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.