Air Exchanger ???

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

We have a fairly “new” house that has the required air exchanger. I’m a bit confused on when I should be running it and when not to? There is a temperature dial on the controller. I have it set at Summer(DUH). However, I have 3 choices on the switch. 1. High 2. Medium 3. Off I currently have the air exchanger OFF.

During these high temps, our A/C simply can not keep up. Last night was the first time I’ve ever had noticeable humidity in the house. Usually the temp is higher than I like, but at least the A/C has kept the humidity out.

We are looking at a couple options to help cool the house, however I want to confirm how I should be running the current system to be sure I’m fully utilizing the equipment I have now. We are considering a high volume heat exhaust system for the 2nd floor. We are also considering the powered vents to pull more cool air into the upstairs.

Thanks!

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

if you have the exchanger set to off and it sounds like it’s still pulling in some outdoor air/humidity might have a bad seal around the vent of the exchanger.

Does your exchanger have a humidity control dial/sensor on it?

kooty
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s currently set to Summer.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Do you know what type or kind it is (heat recovery, energy recovery, or straight fresh air ventilation)?

Some models you will need to have your fan in the on/circ mode as opposed to auto.

If the vent is sealed I would check your fan setting and move it circ if you have that feature or on if not.

jlynchminn
    Rochester, MN

We just had our A/C system checked a few weeks ago by the company that installed our furnace, A/C and air exchanger when we built the house 4 years ago. We were told we should be running the air exchanger 70% of the time when the weather is hot and humid like this. He said this would help the A/C run more effectively. Our humidity in the house hasn’t gotten much over 50% using this approach. I’m no expert, but I’d start running the air exchanger more and see if you can get the humidity down before adding additional mechanical equipment.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

We just had our A/C system checked a few weeks ago by the company that installed our furnace, A/C and air exchanger when we built the house 4 years ago. We were told we should be running the air exchanger 70% of the time when the weather is hot and humid like this. He said this would help the A/C run more effectively. Our humidity in the house hasn’t gotten much over 50% using this approach. I’m no expert, but I’d start running the air exchanger more and see if you can get the humidity down before adding additional mechanical equipment.

Your bringing in hot humid air from outside…I’d love to hear how that makes a AC more efficent.
    Considering we’re past the design temps for AC’s now, I wouldn’t run anything that brought outside air in.

Al

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I have a Lenox furnace, and air exchanger and I was told to run it in the winter to remove the moisture in the house and it does just that.

They told me I did not have to run it in the summer and I have it off. Very low humidity in the house when the air runs

Works great.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Air Exchangers are a fraud. I’d peal it off and sell it on craigslist. Don’t need em’. Just sayin’

joe-bauman
    Rochester, MN

I have had an air exchanger for 10 years. Was told not to use it in the summer as don’t want to bring humid air into the house. Have never had a problem. Maybe the newer systems are supposed to run differently but I don’t know why one would want to put more humidity in the house and then run the AC to offset it. Hmmmmm….

blackbay

I respectfully disagree. Since installing mine in my 40 year old house I no longer get condensation on my windows in the winter. They absolutely work, especially on newer “tight” houses.

As far as the OP, don’t use them in the summer. Like Allen said it just brings in more humid air that the A/C is trying to get rid of.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

They are excellent for controlling any moisture on the windows or for that matter, in the whole house.

I love mine and would not go with out one again.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Air exchangers do very little in this climate we have now. In theory, they take your higher humid air (low lying, basement air) and exhausts that out the house, and takes in the lower humid air (vent out the roof, highest point) and draws it in, theoretically(with typical weather) exhausting 65% humidity air and drawing in 60%… right now, if your running your AC, you may be “conditioning” the air in your home to about 50-55% and your “exchanger” is “exchanging it with 80% humidity air Not helping your cause…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

I have a Lenox furnace, and air exchanger and I was told to run it in the winter to remove the moisture in the house and it does just that.

They told me I did not have to run it in the summer and I have it off. Very low humidity in the house when the air runs

Works great.

Not sure what your house is like but I like my house to have some humidity in the winter time. Makes the house feel warmer and every one breathing a little better.

John. Have you shut your registers in the lower parts of the home down for the summer to force the cool air to the upper floors? I shut all the basement ones in the summer and it help a lot. On your house you may even be able to close some of the main floor ones. Make sure and change those furnace filters to. Pulling out a clogged furnace filter and replacing it can help like night and day with heating and cooling.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Mike, I set my dial on the humidistat so I have enough humidity in the house but nothing on the windows in the winter.

I turn it down until the moisture is not on the windows and leave it right there.

I agree the moisture hepls one feel warmer but the windows do not like the added moisture on the wood.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

It was 98 with 82% humidity yesterday everyone was feeling it, putting your outside air coil in the shade helps save 10% And like Mike said clean filter, shut down stairs vents and drink lots of ice cold beer…

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

It was 98 with 82% humidity yesterday everyone was feeling it, putting your outside air coil in the shade helps save 10% And like Mike said clean filter, shut down stairs vents and drink lots of ice cold beer…

Well, I’ve followed all these guidelines. They only thing I got today was a headache.

Something else I thought of, I’m on an energy saver program with Wright/Hennepin electric. I know my water heater only runs once a day due to this. I’m not sure if the A/C could be under a certain limitation also. I’ll make a phone call to those folks shortly.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Something else I thought of, I’m on an energy saver program with Wright/Hennepin electric. I know my water heater only runs once a day due to this. I’m not sure if the A/C could be under a certain limitation also. I’ll make a phone call to those folks shortly.

Oh yeah. That’ll do it. They can shut off your AC during peak times.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Yea, they cycle mine on/off every 15 minutes.

-J.

kooty
    Keymaster

Ha, I think I’ve found the culprit. I don’t recall signing up for this when we built the house, but who knows. I had them take us off the program for the A/C. It will cost me a little more, but I’ll gladly pay it so it’s not 82 degrees when I try to go to bed.

kooty
    Keymaster

Oh, and thanks for confirming my thoughts on the air exchanger everyone. I run it during the winter, but off in the summer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.