Johnson Outdoors buys Lake Master

• 1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Now that Johnson Outdoors acquired Lakemaster will business be same for the Garmin and Lowrance owners I mean to say will they still be able to get Lakemaster maps for their equipment later down the line?
    I assume yes but this is scaring me a little bit.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I would only expect bigger and better things to come. IMHO they have quite market cornered on quality products.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

That is what I’m thinking/hoping. I know for me it was a pleasure dealing with Lakemaster through the years a top notch company and I wish the best for them in the future.
    The last decade Johnson outdoors has improved their assets to become a force to be unmatched in the inland water scene and this looks to be a great fit. Excited to see on coming horizon in the distance and what it has to offer.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Interisting, since I got my I pioiot I have been saying the only thing that cpould be better is if it followed defth contours….

Well since J outtoors owns H bird and Minnkota and now LM, how long will it take to see contuor following on Terrova??? -Mark

hanson

Quote:

Well since J outtoors owns H bird and Minnkota and now LM, how long will it take to see contuor following on Terrova??? -Mark

I’ve been saying that for awhile now as well.

Alot of unhappy Lowrance owners now though.

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

Now they need to buy troll master and network that is so you can troll contours with your kicker too….

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Quote:

Alot of unhappy Lowrance owners now though.

You mean more Im pumped!

mike-west
    Amery, WI

I’ve been purchasing direct from Lake master for a few years now. All I can say is their customer service was as top notch as it comes! Never once ordered an item and didn’t have the next day. It’s was always a pleasure.

Now you log into Lakemaster’s web site, and all it shows is Humminbird. WTF! Seems to me just another large company on a serious power trip!
    Last $’s Johnson Outdoors will ever get from me (well, will still have to put a new Terrova on the new 620 when that day comes).

I think some good things can come from this, but they, IMHO, should be careful who all they urine off!
    Thank goodness for me, my chip supply is where it’s at!
    just my $.02

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I’ve been purchasing direct from Lake master for a few years now. All I can say is their customer service was as top notch as it comes! Never once ordered an item and didn’t have the next day. It’s was always a pleasure.

Now you log into Lakemaster’s web site, and all it shows is Humminbird. WTF! Seems to me just another large company on a serious power trip!
    Last $’s Johnson Outdoors will ever get from me (well, will still have to put a new Terrova on the new 620 when that day comes).

I think some good things can come from this, but they, IMHO, should be careful who all they urine off!
    Thank goodness for me, my chip supply is where it’s at!
    just my $.02

Not sure what the problem is. I’ve dealt with HB and Minn-Kota Customer Service and I was 110% satisfied. I wouldn’t think LM will be any different.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

My issue is that a week ago, a Hunninbird or Lowarnce owner could go to Lakemaster and get a top notch quality product for what their preference is.
    Now Johnson Outdoors buys out Lakemaster and immidietely doesn’t offer Lowrance products any more (at least for now).
    I think that’s a very poor business decision on their part.
    Just my $.02

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

My issue is that a week ago, a Hunninbird or Lowarnce owner could go to Lakemaster and get a top notch quality product for what their preference is.
    Now Johnson Outdoors buys out Lakemaster and immidietely doesn’t offer Lowrance products any more (at least for now).
    I think that’s a very poor business decision on their part.
    Just my $.02

I can see that’s how it looks. I’d be interested in knowing if they’ll stop producing the LOW chips.

I guess I bought my chips from the store, so I wouldn’t know what’s on the site.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

I can only hope that the new Owners do what’s best for the industry and not what’s best for just “Thier” Customers.
    One can only think that with the agresseviness of Johnson Outdoors that they will expand on something that’s already top notch and make better of it… for everyone.
    For now, If you own a Lowarance and are thinking of getting a Lakemaster chip, I’d do it soon as Lakemaster has removed Lowrance products from there web site.
    Hopefully only temporarly!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I hope they don’t change the depth of the lakes….

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

I hope they don’t change the depth of the lakes….

Especially on the Lowrance products.

FDR

mike-west
    Amery, WI

My appolgies if I miss understood when going to their web site. When clicking on Digital GPS Maps, it now only comes up (at least for me) as Humminbird.
    Am I missing something?
    I don’t want to make aqusitions that are not correct, and if that’s what happened, then shame on me!!!

lhprop1
    Eagan

When you go to the main page, they only list Humminbird, but that’s understandable now that they’re owned by the same company.

If you go deeper into the site to places like support, lake lists, etc they still have the other brands listed. It’s just on the main page.

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

It says under the announcement:
    The asset purchase includes Pro Map Technologies, the LakeMaster®
    proprietary inland water survey techniques and bathymetric data processing technology, providing future
    exclusivity of an expanded portfolio of LakeMaster® digital maps for Humminbird® fishfinders.

That can’t be right. Really?

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

They do list them but they are now categorized as ‘Legacy’. Meaning…. kiss future enhancements, new lakes etc for Lowrance units bye bye.

I am getting the latest version chip tonight

Even though I just purchased my HDS units last year, I can’t get angry about this move by JO, its a business thing and I can see where it made a lot of sense for them. Plus, I expect those people making the switch to bird to be trying to off load their legacy chips. So expect plenty of current versions being available for sale via private party…..Unless JO offers some kind of free replacement of lowrance legacy chip for a new bird chip

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Understand that Lake Master sold its data to Lowrance. I would think that, what lowranced purchased will always be theirs. But enhancements for products other than H-birds is doubtful.

lhprop1
    Eagan

I’m sure someone will develop a new chip that will work in Lowrance units. Until then, the old chips still work and that info is plenty good enough for me.

It’s not like they’re going to hunt the existing chips and destroy them.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.