Shiner Minnows

• rsballar6941
    Minnesota

Just curious as to where one could find shiner minnows in southeastern mn, specifically the Winona area, is there a bait shop anywhere that carries them anymore? Also how would one go about seining or trapping these things, is there a specific time frame where they are abundant or have I already missed that? Any help would be much appreciated

huskerdu

We seine shiners out of the creek flowing into the lake, sunny days w/o wind seems the best. Some days they are in the creek some days not. I bought a Frabill seine from Fleet Farm added the wood on the ends. There are vids on YouTube, it takes 2 people to work the net. We captured about 40 dozen this spring and hold in traps under the dock. Its saves $$$ when the bait shops want $5-$7 a dozen.
    Good luck!

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Just remember…..in MN you need to use fresh water in the bucket when you transport minnows, not the water you caught them out of

rsballar6941
    Minnesota

Thanks for the advice, and yep the $$$ they charge is ridiculous. There are a couple trout streams that run past the parents house that of course dump into the mississippi. I have trout fished it many times but have never noticed any shiners. I am from missouri and I remember growing up as a kid my buddies and I would go down and mess in the creeks and shiners would be schooled up everywhere. I dont see that in the trout streams I fish now. Should I go closer to where the mighty miss and the creek come together, where its deeper or what. I have no clue

thebigfishman
    Apple Valley, MN

Make sure the creek isn’t a designated trout stream. It is illegal to trap, sein, and net minnows from designated trout waters.

Take Care!

Kevin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.