Snap Locks

• hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

I was going to get some snap locks this weekend,wanting to know what size to get? I will be using them for trolling Rapalas on 3 ways and also use to double rig Rapalas. Any ideas will be great!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

#2’s

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

An assortment of #2s and #3s. Use the smaller ones on smaller cranks. #3s on larger. Cabelas sells them in bulk bags if you’re interested. I usually buy them 72/size at a time and I’ll get a couple years out of a bag before needing to reorder.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Cabelas is a good bet for them but watch the sizes labeled on the packages. They are not always right. Gander Mountian still blows me away that they carry very few snaps. They carry very few and when the limited supply is gone they are out for the season.

redneck
    Rosemount

OK now for the slower crowd can you convert 2’s and 3’s into the size listed on Cabelea’s site? I can take a guess and get close but I would like to be sure. Thanks!!!!

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Quote:

Cabelas is a good bet for them but watch the sizes labeled on the packages.

X2

Went down there a few weeks ago and bought a couple different sizes. When I got home I realized that they were all the same size but the bags said they were different.

fishbait

Do you use a swivel snap on one end of the leader incase you
    go to a straight hook and worm or minnows?

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

i would also look at lure parts online. you can get a hundred snaps for $8. plus they have a couple different kind of snaps also. http://lurepartsonline.com

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Do you use a swivel snap on one end of the leader incase you
    go to a straight hook and worm or minnows?

I don’t.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

OK now for the slower crowd can you convert 2’s and 3’s into the size listed on Cabelea’s site? I can take a guess and get close but I would like to be sure. Thanks!!!!

From what I’ve figured out, the Cabela’s size 1 is the same size as a Berkley size 2. Cabela’s size 2 is the same size as Berkley size 3, if I remember correctly. Haven’t bought berkley ones in a while. I don’t fish as much as James and I get about 2 plus years out of a 72 count bag unless somebody spills them over the side.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I buy one or two 72 packs a year. Mostly because I loose them. I started dumping them in all of my crank boxes so I don’t have to look for them. I figure another 144 should get me through, even though I’ll only actually need about 20.

redneck
    Rosemount

When I click on the size in the Cabelas link it has no size but is in fractions 7/16, 11/32 and whatever. How do these convert to snap lock sizes of 2 or 3 if I want to order from the Cabelas website??????

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

When I click on the size in the Cabelas link it has no size but is in fractions 7/16, 11/32 and whatever. How do these convert to snap lock sizes of 2 or 3 if I want to order from the Cabelas website??????

I had to break out the ruler with all the little marks and find my terminal tackle…

Size #2 = 7/16
    Size #3 = 9/16

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

How do those smaller sized Cabelas snaps work for you James. Maybe its just my big sausage fingers but some of the small ones I have a heck of a time opening and closing.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I have mongo fingers too. Small snaps are opened and closed with my hemostats if I have any issues.

redneck
    Rosemount

Thank you James

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Just a tip here… if your pulling stick baits,,,and they do not have a small split ring on the eye..add one for a better movement and they will swim better !!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Just a tip here… if your pulling stick baits,,,and they do not have a small split ring on the eye..add one for a better movement and they will swim better !!

X 2 …absolutely

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Do you think those will work on a crank bait when the loop is recessed into the bill like a shad rap?

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

I just dug a shad rap out and tried it and they worked just fine.I havn’t tried it in the water yet.Fishing season opens next weekend for us and I’m hoping to get out then.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

Thanks guys for all the help! I purchased sizes 2 & 3 Saturday at Scheels,I looked at the size on pkg and lenght to match up to the Berkley.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

So my next question is , do you guys use them on your cranks when long lining and trolling?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

So my next question is , do you guys use them on your cranks when long lining and trolling?

Yes. Any trolling application with a crank bait gets a snap on it for me.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That is a yes here to. Now this is on the muddy waters of the Mississippi river where Im not to concerned with fish staring at my lures.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

Thanks for help guys! I will give them a try on the river and lake this year.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Yes. Any trolling application with a crank bait gets a snap on it for me.

Same here.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I noticed that cabela’s DuoLock Snaps were pictured.
    When I was guiding on Michigan, Berkley Cross-Loks were the gold standard.Considered stronger lb for lb.

Has that determination changed?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.