two stroke oil question

• cody croteau

Been buying evinrude oil for my 2 stroke ’89 evinrude. Was just buying some more today and realized they have two different kinds, XD30 and XD50? Whats the difference and is it worth the extra $? I take it XD50 is better for the motor?

dea
    Hixton, WI

With the age of your motor, I would use the XD30. Here is more information:
    XD 30 Formulated for water cooled 2-cycle outboards and other 2-cycle engines that specify TC-W3 certified oils. This exclusive performance enhanced blend provides premium lubrication and extra detergency compared to minimum TC-W3 requirements.
    – Approved for pre-mix and oil injection applications
    – Minimizes carbon and deposit buildup
    – Protects against wear with premium lubricity
    Use XD 30 in general and light load applications for dependability and value.

XD50 Perfomanced enhanced sythetic blend oil that meets the spedific demands of direct injection and water cooled 2-cycle outboard engines that specify TC-W3 certified oils.
    – Contains CarbX combustion cleaner to keep carbon in suspension
    and away from critical components
    – Protects against wear with superior lubricity
    – Reduces smoke for cleaner operation
    Use XD50 in high load and performance applications for greater dependability, reliability, and reduced maintenance.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

The claim is that the XD50 has a carbon reducing additive. XD100 is fully synthetic with all additives known to man in it.
    For 1989 motor( when emission’s weren’t strict) the XD30 is not only perfectly fine to use, its also what the engine was designed on(TCW3 oil).

Newer engines with complex injection and exhaust geometries will also do fine with a TCW3 oil, but claims are made that it may hinder performance due to fuel mixture injection rates and carbon build-up.

Technology has brought engines to a point where fuel/oil mixtures want to be combusted quickly and with the least amount of residual fuel parts. So, fast and clean burning mixtures is what all the oil mumbo jumbo is about. Older motors are able to accomodate incomplete combustion and perform with slower burning fuel mixtures.
    THink of it as an analogy between diesel engines and gasoline engines without the completely different combustion cycles in mind.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Sorry diane, same time post

dea
    Hixton, WI

No problem. You explained it well!
    I miss the fishing boat sales and our CUSTOMERS the most.

cody croteau

Quote:

– Reduces smoke for cleaner operation
    Use XD50 in high load and performance applor greater dependability, reliability, and reduced maintenance.

this brings up a good point. My motor does smoke a lot when it is first started, like most motors. But this motor smokes a little out of the norm in my opinion. Is it because i have to much oil in the tank at once, or what other reasons could there be?
    THanks for the help guys

yetiwalleye

I even use the xd 50 in my chainsaw and weedwacker and jiffy ice drill. With the carbx in the oil you will have a clean engine with very light carbon deposits on your pistons. xd 30 is good the xd50 is that much better.

fireline
    Rochester

I see your’re from Oronoco . I would call or stop in to S&M Marine and talk to Hiram Pettey (owner). Tell him that “Charlie the fighter” sent you .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.