Lake Thompson S.D. Has anyone fished this lake ?

• Anonymous

Has any one fished this lake before? I was thinking of going out sometime early summer. Just looking for some info, ( best place to camp, area’s to fish, etc.) I beleive there are three other lakes around the area to fish also. Any help would be appreciated……Big Wally

Anonymous

Well Big, it’s been a couple summers since I’ve fished that lake. I’ll email a buddy this morning that fishes the lake quite often. Hopefully he can give you some more details.

When I fished it early summer you may find a jig bite, but lindy rigging was always a goto method. There were also times when we would switch to bottom bouncers and spinners/crawler rigs.

I’ll see if I can get you more detail.

Anonymous

Just got the info back from my friend, so here you go:

There’s a nice campground just built on the lake a couple of years ago. He better get to calling right

away if he wants a spot since they really book up fast up there. Being close to SF it’s a hot spot for the weekend get a ways. Otherwise DeSmet & Lake Preston has campgrounds not far away. Other lakes to fish that time of year would be Albert & Poinsette off 81, both are only 45 minutes or so from Thompson. Albert has been real good for us from time to time that time of

year. Poinsette I don’t know much about, I’ve never been on it.

Tell him not to overlook some of the small creeks that feed into Thompson on the north end. Last year some big fish were taken out of them in 2 to 4 feet of water in late May.

Here’s the short cut for Lake Thompson!

http://www.state.sd.us/gfp/sdparks/thompson/thompson.htm

Good Luck!!!

Anonymous

Hey Waterfowler, Thanks for all the cool info. I really do appriciate all the help, when you talk to your buddy agin, tell him thanks for me also. I will let ya know how we do. THANKS AGIN……Big Wally

Anonymous

The mention in waterfowler’s post about shaeffer slough on the north end of thompson was right on. If the water’s high enough to get into the slough with a boat, which may not happen this year, hard to say, there are usuallly lots of nice walleyes to be caught back in the northwest end and the east end of the slough. It lasted until sometime in mid june last year, when the water got pretty warm back there, and the fish moved out to the main lake. Another spot to keep in mind is where the water runs in from lake henry next to the swimming beach on the north end, in the state park. If there’s water flowing there, there’ll probably be fish there. I did very well there for a couple weeks last summer after some heavy rain. Otherwise the south end of the lake, along the grade and the adjacent creek channel is usually good early in the year, as can be the bluffs at the housing development across the bay south of the state park.

I usually fish thompson quite regularly, so if you’d like a report before you go out there, you can email me at [email protected] and I’ll tell you what I know.

Eyez

Anonymous

Thanks for the info Eyez I will be sure to get ahold of ya before we head out that way. Sounds like a great time out there. Thanks agin ……..Big Wally

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.