Chequamegon Bay Report

• Anonymous

Hey Gang:
    Just wanted to report from our weekend on the Bay. We spent Friday afternoon and early evening north of Second Landing. The eight of us set tip ups in 12′ of water near a 13′ depression. With 2-4 inches of heavy wet snow having fallen the temps warmed enough for the precipitation to change to rain. Then the wind picked up. Some fun!!! All of our flags were of the wind variety with the exception of two. Unfortunately no fish.

Because of the snow and ice conditions we decided to fish closer to shore and changed into the offshore structure closer to Ashland on Saturday. We fished off the coal docks and drove on as we were seeing several vehicles on the ice. The early afternoon showed us a couple of small walleyes, a northern and a small perch. We managed to pick up a couple more walleyes at prime time, one, a nice 25″ fish, was the first of one of our party’s career.

Sunday was even better!!! Even though there were people close to our spot of the previous day, we were able to get back in our old holes without pressing the territorial issue. We started catching fish right away. Flags were flying and fish were hitting on the jig rods as well. Most of our catching was smallmouth bass and some dandies at that. Of the 12 we caught all were over 17″ with the exception of 1. Some of these bass were pushing the 20″ mark and a couple surpassed it. We picked up some walleye again and the surprise fish of the day were the three crappies we caught measuring 11″, 11″ and 13″. We also got a couple more northern. Another bonus fish was a 23″ brown trout, that our first timer was able to catch.

A word of caution, ice conditions were deteriorating and I felt comfortable on a snowmobile. I would urge leaving the trucks & cars on shore. And it might not be long before walking is the only way!!!

Finally I want to personally thank Rick M. at Chequamegon Outfitters for his help. He went out of way to give us an opportunity to make the most of our trip. I would recommend his services any time you are going to the bay!!! Thanks Rick!!! We also got good info from Don’s Bait and Angler’s All as well.

I had a hard time convincing my friends that they would enjoy this trip, but I gotta believe that I have converted them for future trips to the bay!!!

Mark

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.