VIDEO – Lake Superior Kings on Walleye Tackle

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

You don’t need a big boat to get into so great multi-species action on Lake Superior this time of year. Grant Sorensen and Joel Nelson share a few minutes from a recent trip on the big lake fishing Rapala Taildancers and Tackle Off Shore planer boards.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

nice king grant, this clip really cements your taildancer advice thats for sure.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Nice clip Joe and Grant!

I’m going to have to break away from Chequamegon Bay one of these bass trips and hook up with you Grant!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Nice clip Joe and Grant!

I’m going to have to break away from Chequamegon Bay one of these bass trips and hook up with you Grant!

I think it is inspiring to see Grant out there getting it done in a 16′ boat with a 40 HP motor. Of course he’s watching the weather VERY carefully but it does go to show that you don’t need a monster boat to get out after these Lake Superior trout, salmon and walleyes.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Way cool video. Tried doing the same three years ago and have been doing a couple of trips a year out of Milwaukee. It is addictive. Similar set up without boards but using slide divers, FF and a creative slip weight rig I thought of to get deep.

Watch the weather, keep your marine radio handy (radio check before leaving marina) and have fun. Most of all be safe and know when to head in if the wind shifts.

One thing I did learn quickly is a walleye net is not big enough!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Thanks for the great day on the water Grant! I was just reading your last report, and loving the fact that you’re picking up more of those beautiful kings up there. How has the bite changed since we were last out? Or hasn’t it?

Grant’s wearing the reel seats out up there, literally!

Joel

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Hey Joel, yes these awesome fish are still around! Not much has changed, as they are still concentrating 30 to 50 feet down in the stained water. If anything they have moved up the north shore a little bit, around the Knife River to Lester river area. Big profile baits with flash is where its at!

Haha, yes those kings on “walleye” trolling gear sure do make the reel seats loose!

Well see if they are still around this weekend. I sure hope so!!

palolo

Nice piggy! Yummy..salmon eggs are delicious

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Nice piggy! Yummy..salmon eggs are delicious

Joel smoked the salmon in this video and brought it along on the Rainy Lake houseboat trip. Cold beers, crackers and salmon. Nummy. And I’m usually not a huge salmon fan.

palolo

oooh…mix that smoked salmon with cream cheese as a spread and ooh it’s a winner!

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

grant, have you had any similar success trolling xraps at all?

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

X raps can be an awesome bait day in and day out for trout and salmon alike. Early season, The XR10 in the pink is hands down my favorite bait. I feel it is such a top producer for a few reasons.

1. Although not initially designed to be a trolling bait, it has such a wide roll from side to side that it really gives off flash and looks like a smelt about to roll over. The size is PERFECT for early season Coho and lakers.

2. We recognize this bait as one that excels when it is jerked and paused. Thus, it being ideal in wavy conditions when your boards are getting pushed around by 2 or 3 foot swells. That stop-go slash bait action rocks when the fish are on the feed bag.

I have not expiremented much with the deeper diving versions of the x rap, just because i have been too obsessed with the tail dancer, but I will be giving it a try soon, you can count on that. I also like the blue version, but pink is my go to

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.