Ice Fishing

• ktapper

So whos ready to start walking on water? I know I am and this will be my first winter with a perm so I am getting really excited.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

The first night that it was below 30* that was when I was ready!!!!!!!!

ktapper

Quote:

I still have some muskies to put in the boat,,, ice can wait!

Think about it if the ice comes early you can do some early ice musky tip up fishing until dec. 1st.

72starcraft
    Rochester, MN

As a premature note, I live in Rochester but I love to ice fish around French Lake area and I was just wondering if someone could keep my posted on the ice conditions. Thanks.

72starcraft
    Rochester, MN

Went out to French Lake on Thursday and found about 10in of ice. I’d say a good 6 inches of black ice and 3-4in of the white crap. A few perms were even out there. Plenty of crappies on the vexilar but not too many were biting.

goldy gopher
    Le Sueur, MN

Quote:

Went out to French Lake on Thursday and found about 10in of ice. I’d say a good 6 inches of black ice and 3-4in of the white crap. A few perms were even out there. Plenty of crappies on the vexilar but not too many were biting.

FYI.

When seeing “fish” on your electronics on French, unless you have a underwater camera, it’s hard to confirm they’re actual pan fish or another species, especially if you can not get a “mark” to commit. The volume of forage in that particular lake and others in the area is almost unbelievable, so it can often be frustrating when trying to locate an active school of the species you’re targeting.

72starcraft
    Rochester, MN

Thanks for the FYI. I’m heading out again this weekend, so I’ll keep everybody posted.

goldy gopher
    Le Sueur, MN

No problem. Good luck.

72starcraft
    Rochester, MN

Pretty slow weekend on French Lake. Brought home 2 10in and 1 11in all Crappie’s. Does anybody know if the 56ft hole or the 40ft hole would be the desirable location right now or is it just slow everywhere?

goldy gopher
    Le Sueur, MN

Quote:

Pretty slow weekend on French Lake. Brought home 2 10in and 1 11in all Crappie’s. Does anybody know if the 56ft hole or the 40ft hole would be the desirable location right now or is it just slow everywhere?

Basins are a good place to be looking, especially with this colder weather. Generally speaking, too, you’ll know just how active the fish are going to be based on how high they are riding in the water column.

Look for changes in direction in a basin (inside/outside turns, etc.) just like you would on shoreline structure.

ekruger01

Quote:

Quote:

Basins are a good place to be looking, especially with this colder weather. Generally speaking, too, you’ll know just how active the fish are going to be based on how high they are riding in the water column.

Look for changes in direction in a basin (inside/outside turns, etc.) just like you would on shoreline structure.

the 40′ hole has been giving us big numbers of fish so far this year but we seem to be moving around the hole alot to stay on top of the fish…. we have not had to do that on other years on this lake… checkin at the store in shieldsville they seem to be getting alot of good reports from guys coming of french!
    EK

ekruger01

oh should mention that i have not gotten a single crappie on minnows, all have been caught on plastics…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.