Hook up issue

• wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Need some advice, last weekend I was amazed at how many eyes I lost either in the water or at the boat and they would just let go and I would have most times my leech still on the hook. Do I need to let more line out before setting the hook while rigging? This also happened to me while we were bobber fishing at night too, bobber would go down and start to reel in to the pressure and set it they would be on and then just let go. Any thoughts?

whittsend

Hooks?? Good hooks like Gammis or similar? That can make a huge difference sometimes…

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

What size hook? Typically use a size 8 on Milly.

-J.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I was using a size 6 gamakatsu and they were new

big_g
    Isle, MN

Dumb question… but they are not circle hooks are they ??? If not, after the initial set, do a double set… dig her in there….

big G

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

nope not circle hooks, the only thing I could thing of is they weren’t hooking themselves but biting and holding only onto the leech, but doesn’t seem logical to me…but maybe?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I was using a size 6 gamakatsu and they were new

Drop down to an 8 and give that a try for rigging and corking. I find 6’s are too big most of the time. Only use them on crawler harnesess.

As mentioned, pay for the quality Gamigatsu or Owner.

-J.

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

By your post subject, I thought you where having problems getting what us old guys call, a date

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

the only thing I could thing of is they weren’t hooking themselves but biting and holding only onto the leech, but doesn’t seem logical to me…but maybe?

Exactly what is happening.

-J.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

Quote:

the only thing I could thing of is they weren’t hooking themselves but biting and holding only onto the leech, but doesn’t seem logical to me…but maybe?

Okay I will downsize and give it a shot next time I am up there…thanks for the tips

Chico — no help needed there my wife has that covered!

Exactly what is happening.

-J.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Another thought besides what has been said already. What are you using for line??? Mono can stretch quite a bit and maybe not driving the hook all the way home??? Just a thought? I use fireline and use a fluorocarbon or mono snell to give me a better feel/sensitivity. I really do not set the hook rather more of a slow sweep when rigging. Corking is the same way, especially corking on the mud. A lot of line out that may not be tight when setting the hook, along with the stretch in mono it might not have been driving the hooks home??? Sometimes like Big G mentioned if I don’t feel I got a good hook set I will do another smaller one after I’m sure I got all the slack out.

Like I said, it may not be the issue but just another thought!

baldwin4
    NE IA

Was you using the rapala key chains? Don’t forget to put the hooks on

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I was thinking somebody had a picture of me at the roller rink in 6th grade (when I read the title). What Lip mentioned has helped me greatly, the fireline and a 7 foot pole has increased the hook-ups greatly, not too many get free either. I usually only have a problem when the bobber is running toward the boat, then the hook set is a bit of a hope and a prayer!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

The other reason I use a 9′ rod for Corking. I get a long rod sweep setting the hook if needed to take out the slack.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Always bragging about your long rod.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Kooty, the baby sitter told me a Snoopy Pole is long compared to yours.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Another thought might be the rod/line combo… If I remember this correctly, I try to pair mine up up my medium with mono to provide more back bone to the hookset and then use my med light for the powerpro 10/2 with the flouro leader combo, so that the flex in the rod prevents the braid from ripping the hook out.

Mark

Kurtroger

Ripper is dead on – Fireline and flouro is money. Seaguar puts the other flouros to shame. Dial back the drag a couple clicks or back-reel to avoid ripping out the #8 Gammies with the no-stretch line.

waleyangler
    woodbury,mn

i was up last weekend and dint have any hook up issues like you were reporting. i use 6 lb fireline lindy rigging to a snap swivel and a 8 to 12 foot leader and keep the bail open with your finger on the line. when you feel that tick take your finger off and let em take line i normaly give them around 10 seconds and then wham. dosent matter what size hooks i use i give them 10 seconds. we didnt loose to many fish, i mean we lost a couple but not many. i think fireline is the key for lindy rigging because you can feel everything. even if you think it is a rock give em some line and set it. you never know until you try…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.