Prepping for opener! (Well, Kinda)

• hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Many of you that follow this forum have heard the buzz about the Big D classic on opener. Over the last weekend we got some of the gang together that spends it fishing on Mille Lacs.
    We always have a fish fry and bonfire Friday night of opening weekend and end up scrounging for wood to burn. So with this in mind Big D and I figured we’d get that out of the way ahead of time. On Saturday morning the guys and some of their boys showed up to level some trees out back behind our places and make some firewood. We started about 9:00AM and were finished by 2:00PM just in time for lunch. This is the way to cut wood!
    There were 15-20 of us and with 7 chain saws, 2 log splitters and 4 guys on 4 wheelers and trailers. We mowed down, cut and split 6-8 cords of bonfire wood.

I will admit I did have an ulterior motive in clearing this area. We’re putting in a food plot for the fury creatures of the forest floor right outside (well, 75 yds. out) the bay window of our bedroom, where I will spend many of my waning days staring off into the woods daydreaming of many of the good times it has given me.

It also gives me great site lines for pictures, and as they soon figured out a great shooting lane from the deck!

I give a BIG Thanks to all those that helped, Bobbers, Tuck and his 2 boys, Leroy, Johnnie, Mike E. and his 2 boys, Big D, Big G, JAG, My brother Dan and his son Joe, Jeff and of course my son Josh. Most all of them are members of IDA and wonderful friends.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Tuck and I knocked off a little early and got lunch going for the boys!

Them young guys were Drooling over those fish cookers. We made batter fried fish, onion rings and fries. My sister brought a 7 layer salad and we had more snacks than we could eat!

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Well, as you would know a few of us tried to work like we are still 20 years old and payed the price later……….Right Glenner?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Hooks, don’t remind me !!! I am just starting to be able to get up without groaning out loud !!! Note to self for future, don’t go at it like your 18 years old for the first 2 hours, it makes the last 2 tough !!!

big g

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

I got a cure for you………………..FISHING!

Now to finish putting new line on and we’re ready to go!

Hooks and Bobbers laying down the smack in the Big D!

You won’t catchum if you don’t know where they are. And their not where you think!

big_g
    Isle, MN

you mean, their not in the lake ?!!!

big g

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Looks like you guys will need a larger fire ring for this opener.

Jim……You out there, Jim?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks for th epics Hooks. Looks like I showed up when all the work was done . I had a beer with the boys while you were prepping for the evening. Sorry to have missed you but I will see you on opener for sure!

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Putz, please ask Winston and the rest of that gang to do their radio checks prior to the weekend!!

Break for Jim….Break for Winston….Winston, I don’t think Jim can hear ya!! Break for Winston….Break for Winston….oh man.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Sheri! Mrs. Ertl!
    Did you hear what Putz said about the fire ring?

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

What are you guys trying to do to me?

mertl
    St Cloud, MN

Chris-

Keep talking!

I can make it smaller…

Sheri

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

oh oh
    she has made her 1st post.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Nice knowing you DMan

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Yep- like George Costanza said “worlds are colliding”

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Oh, I see that “M” must stand for Maggie and not Mike!

Was wondering why Mike would make it smaller?

Welcome to our playground Sheri!!!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Mertl…I love it!

I was merely posting in response to Putz’s post. Can’t we compromise and have a his and hers fire ring? After all, his name is BIG D. I don’t mind being around the fire with fun people, but when Shroomy cuts wood all day…well let’s just say it’s nice to get a little distance, and still enjoy the fire.

All right, just kidding….It is a cute little fire ring.
    For a girl.

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

You know what they say about the size of your firering calling Bobber

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

YEAH Sheri making her #1 post

winston
    Minnesota

Break for Bobber! Break for Jim! Break for anyone! Wait a minute. Thats right. I figured out that my radio will send on channel 82 but not recieve. The most economical answer to my radio delema would be for everyone fishing Mille Lacs to use channel 28. My radio works on 28.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Uh Winston….Can you speak up a little? Can’t here ya way down here in Hastings…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.