So why is it…

• ted-merdan

I am on the lake today – drop my anchor on a spot to bobber for a bit, no one is around I mean it’s 50 degrees, raining,wind crackin’ 2’+ waves and we are less than a half mile off the windward shore… Look around 2 boats on the horizon and that’s it. Grab a leech, bait up and ready to cast and there’s two boats making a bee line to me like they are the DNR to give me a cavity search or I have the magic spot… cast my line and it’s a quick drift w/ the wind and current and of course they both drop anchor within 70′ of the boat. Now I don’t own this lake or any spot but really…??? This scene was repeated mulitple times today to the point where I would drop anchor on a spot wait for the others to get their anchors re-set and then move on to where I really wanted to fish next.

I am not trying to rant here but really?? The chip is $100, the graph it works in starts at approx $500, and the fishing etticute / moral compass oriented in the correct direction such that you don’t set up right on another angler when there are literally 1000’s of spots w/ biting fish and the satisfaction at finding your own fish is apparently lost…

We ground out 5 slots today in the less than ideal conditions (did get off before the last pounding of rain this evening and give up the easy bite – unfortunately) and whacked them silly last night during the evening transion so there’s no shortage of biting fish…

WTF

-ted

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I hear ya cluckin’ big chicken…
    Someone on LSF mentioned finding fish by chasing nets, all this just blows my mind. Are you such a lousey fisherman you can not learn a lake?

When I start guiding there is no way I am going to tag my boat. -Mark

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Quote:

So why is it…

Your fishing Mille lacs a hour and a half from the cities where as you stated anybody can buy a chip and a gps! Its bee the norm for years the question is…
    So why is it… that this still suprises people!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Happens all the time. Seriously, what I do (If I’m not already while fishing ALONE) is CRANK UP the tunes. Usually something on the lines of Metallica, Megadeath, Pantera stuff. And I mean LOUD!! New JBL 360 watt amp, 10 inch subwoofer, 4- 6 inch drivers. That typically drives off the tailpippers.

-J.

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Wow we think alike but I don’t have that amp. I even might start singing and a little dance. Man you should see the looks I get. Yup that was me, the crazy man in the Alumacraft.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

That type of behavior is usually associated with having a nice boat…..I have seen it before.

a1a

I’ve found that if you put rainbow stickers or “coexist” stickers all over your boat that it helps keep other boats away. Try that, works like a charm and the fish don’t seem to mind! You may even want to blare some Boy George or Wham music as an added measure of protection.

whittsend

Quote:

I’ve found that if you put rainbow stickers or “coexist” stickers all over your boat that it helps keep other boats away. Try that, works like a charm and the fish don’t seem to mind! You may even want to blare some Boy George or Wham music as an added measure of protection.

Wham!!!

LOL

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Know what you mean, pretty much have to look around before you grab the net, if anyone’s watching you gotta disregard the net, be all nonchalant and swing ’em in low so they can’t see. Grab your net regularly and the crowd materializes out of thin air.
    Frustrating…..

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

When it’s slow I like to wave the net several time before I leave.

brandonj
    Blaine, MN/Malmo,MN

Ive felt like crackin a couple guys upside the head with the hiber-net myself. I feel your pain, I had a launch sneak up behind me last weekend. Never seen so many people get so exited over a tiny walleye.

ted-merdan

Some great responses here – thanks for the laugh. I fully expect this and mentally prepare if it’s Fri/Sat/Sun but with a rain, cold, windy Tuesday thought I would be safe…

As for the nice boat – not so sure my old ’06 tiller qualifies – newer boats were my temporary friends that day

Won’t make it back up next week but over the 4th is looking good, I am sure there will be lots of ‘friends’ during that timeframe

-ted

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s one of the many reasons why I love to troll the open basin.

aaron
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Here is a plan that works for me. Put a fish in the box and head to your favorite spot. If there is a small community in your area, move out about 100yrds and make some noise while taking pictures of the fish you had in the livewell. Repeat this about every few minutes. Before you know it the community anglers are grouping up with you and your favorite spot is now wide open. Slowly work your way out of the area and only net fish that you have to.

roscoe
    So St Paul

I like Jon’s Idea, and as we found out the week after opener, the fish like Mettalica and Pantera, Right Jon?

My favorite tactic is to slide away from the spot you really want to fish, then utilize the fake net approach, followed by a hi-five.

It really gets fun when you can get a boat to follow your net job to 2-3 different spots and then politely tell him the joke is on him.

Most of the time embarrassment gets the best of em after this and they’ll leave you alone the rest of the day.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Quote:

Happens all the time. Seriously, what I do (If I’m not already while fishing ALONE) is CRANK UP the tunes. Usually something on the lines of Metallica, Megadeath, Pantera stuff. And I mean LOUD!! New JBL 360 watt amp, 10 inch subwoofer, 4- 6 inch drivers. That typically drives off the tailpippers.

-J.

I am sorry but if I heard you doing this I would come closer to hear the GOOD tunes.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

nothing gets people to move faster than a few nets and a few flashes from the camera….oh the marker bouy does it also.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

NO net, 20# florocarbon instead of lighter line, don’t stand up or continue standing and grab the leader by the motor and haul ’em in. One of the reasons, I am not able to post as many pics as before is I refuse to use the flash at dusk (and that’s when the fish bite best)… Kind of sucks, but can’t give up a good spot on my own stupidity…

Two weeks ago, I was fishing a point and watched a boat go from one point (good spot) to a main lake hump (another good spot) to my point, almost like he had a sidefinder, look me over, go to where I started, then back to me before heading up the shoreline. Now the night before I caught fish all along the point and had another dude move in on me from the tip of the point and anchor on my drift. This night the fish were concentrated further up the point and I was going to start going back over them on a shortened drift, but I wouldn’t do it after the boat moved in and unfortunately for my bro and nephew, who don’t get to have a great bite all the time (nor do I), that sucked!!! But I am not going to give up spots like that… I feel all your pain!!!

Mark

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.