Leech Lake Fishing Report 2-4-03

• Anonymous

Ice conditions continue to be great on Leech. Most areas have 28-30 inches of ice. It is almost time to bring out the auger extensions!!

Walleye fishing has been doing better this past week. The humps on walker bay are still producing fish. There are still a lot of small fish mixed in with nicer fish. There have been reports of a lot of 18-19” fish being caught. Other reports are that quite a few fish are being caught in 12’ of water on the edges of the weeds using rattle jigs tipped with a minnow head and medium fatheads with a green hook and bobber.

Perch fishing has finally started to pick up. The perch are in the shallows 8’ or less in Shingobee Bay, Boy Bay, and Steamboat Bay. Look for clear patches in the weeds and jig aggressively and they will come. Be prepared to be mobile. Another technique that have been working well is using a willow spoon tipped with a fathead. I like to use the willow spoon made by Bait Rigs as I feel it gives the most flash vs. other spoons. These work really well to “call” fish to you.

It is getting to be that time of the year so I must also include the eelpout report. If the eelpout bite like they did last weekend Eelpout fest should be a good time had by all. The 24th annual eelpout festival is February 14-16 in Walker.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.