Report – July 29th

• Anonymous

July 29, 2002

ADDRESS: P.O. Box 517, Walker, MN 56484

SUBJECT: Leech Lake Area Fishing Report

PHONE: 218.547.3212

WEB: http://www.leechlakeguides.com

Leech Lake is having a great Muskie Fishing Season. The lake continues to be hot for muskie action. The reports are almost unbelievable with success coming from accross the lake. Guides reporting numerous “multiple” fish days including many catch’s in the 48-52 inch range. The best part is that fish seem to be moving and active regardless of the weather or time of day. Good action on sunny calm days, during mid day. This is without any doubt the best muskie year Leech Lake has had in recient history.

For muskies check out the rock piles on the main like around Pelican Island, West Bar and Submarine reef. Also look to the weeds near Two Points in Portage Bay for action. Lure choice has changed a bit from day to day. Standard in-line bucktails have worked great as has larger hair baits like the Bionic Bucktail from Northland. In the evening hours topwaters are making them strike.

If you ever wanted to catch a muskie now is the time on Leech Lake.

Walleye fishing remains spotty on the lake with the best fishing coming trolling shad raps or frenzy lures over rock piles ont he main lake. West Bar, submarine and Mokey reef holding walleyes.

Good luck fishing! Don’t forget the sunscreen!

BigRock
    Plymouth, MN

Dman,

Thanks for the reports. I spent the week of the 4th on Leech. Lots of people complaining about the lack of fish, but the people who went out and trolled crankbaits did pretty well. We caught all of ours on #5 ShadRap Firetigers, and all between 9 to 11pm. Usually my hot crankbait on Leech is the #5 Crawdad, but I could’nt catch one on anything but the Firetiger. All of the rock piles were producing.

Tried all of my other favorites, but was especially disappointed with Agency Bay and the rock piles in Walker Bay. I always get a few out of these two spots with lindy-rigs and live bait. Heard or seen any action in these two locales?

Big Rock

Love the Leech

Anonymous

BigRock- The reports I post are reports I recieve from the leech lake guide coalition. I post them here when I recieve them as we dont have anybody reporting yet from Leech. So what you see in the report is unfortunatley what you get. I only fish the lake once or twice every other year. I do however remember seeing some mention on Walker bay in a report not to distant past. Sorry thats all I can tell you. Good fishin to ya!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.