IGL Smallmouth

• flatlandfowler

Putting some serious consideration into making a trip down for smallies. Is it just Spirit and West with smallies? or do East and Little have them as well? Are you able to pick them up pitching and flipping the docks or do I need to go to weedlines and offshore structure? Either lake a better bet than the other?

I know the lakes get crazy to say the least. However, never seen them other than sat and sun afternoons. Are the lakes fishable on friday or sunday nights? (have an 1860 Alumicraft modified-V duck boat with 50 merc tiller and 80 terrova)

Thanks in advance for any info; am willing to trade for sw/sc mn bass, walleye, and crappie info. Also if any one has an iowa/illi lakemaster chip for an H20 they want to sell please shoot me a PM (any year will do).

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

West Okoboji is a great bass lake for both small and largemouth bass both unless you get off the lake by 10 am you’ll be infested with jet ski’s and giant unconsiderate yuppie boats. Thats the reason I rarely go there between May 15th and Sept 15th. Spirit lake on the other hand is a great smallmouth and largemouth fishing lake.I regularly catch smallie in the 17-20 inch size. They have been pretty tough this year due to the abundant bait in the lake. (spottail shiners and perch fry). The best part of the year is coming up when huge schools of bait are attacked by equally huge schools of whitebass,walleyes,and smallies. Best way to get into this action is keep an eye out is watch the terns and gulls swoop and feed on the bait herded to the top by their attackers. It can be GREAT! This usually starts anytime now and peaks in mid september. Last September I spent a week down there and caught and released over 800 fish of all varieties.Remember catch and release.I’m betting the new state record smallmouth lives here.Caught one last August just short of 22″. Best tactics now are deep rock on the outside of weedbeds.Ya see a red Ranger Commanche chasing gulls stop and say hi.

turkeynate
    Iowa

What types of baits are you using for this type of fishing? Where do you like to stay when you go to the Iowa Great Lakes? Thanks for any info you can give!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.