3 mile info

• gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

I’ve never fished 3 mile through the ice. Are the fish back up in the coves? By fish, I mean gills & specks of course Where are the majority of them, the upper one third, lower one third, or center of the lake? What can I expect for ice conditions? I’ve been invited to share one of the cabins on the lake this fri the 13 of Feb. Planning on fishing Fri & Sat. I’m just asking for general specifics as I’m not looking to burn your hot spots. I have fished it a few times so am some what familiar, but sure would like to get into some of those bruiser gills Thanks John

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

A lot of the guys fish the north end with good luck. There really aren’t any coves to speak of, but there are lots of trees. I have had good luck on the dam end of the lake fishing over submerged trees. Find the tree in 30 feet of water. The trees top out about 12 feet below the ice. Fish around the edges and right in the middle. Good luck.

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

Just got back from 3 mile Zammer. Should have taken your advice as Fri was very tough up by the North boat ramp and channel area. I decided today to move mid way down the lake and connected with some really nice bluegills, and the Crappies seemed to go alot better toward evening all on wood. Today I heard that a six teen & a half inch crappie was caught.
    All & all it was a great two days and tomorrow I’ll be eating fish again. John

herb
    6ft under

How’s the lake doing for ice thickness?

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

I would say most of the ice was a foot thick. You may want to bring your 4 wheel drive or put on the chains as I did because of the drifts.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.