Water Temps

• jwcarlson

What do you do when the surface temps get to 88+ degrees? I went out for a bit last night and surface temps in some of the backwater were 92. What do you look for on a small river in this situation? (I’m talking about the Cedar River in particular, just just looking for general guidance.)

stuart
    Mn.

Higher flow areas,springs,cooler creeks running in to the river.deep water and shaded areas.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I look for a Cold and sit around drinking them until the water temps cool off

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Good advice Stuart, any cooler creeks and deep water. Cooler water holds more oxygen then warmer water. Ive done pretty well in the past wadeing out to the mouths of cooler creeks and fished the sand drop offs. Don’t forget about walking creeks with weather like this, thier good for smallies. When the water gets warm here everything slows down except for the cooler areas and its hot right now, good luck. Night fishing is about your best bet fishing catfish from a boat right now for bigger ones. Fish shallower areas where the waters swifter for the smaller ones.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Ya x3 what they said. I do good at the beginning and ends of pools where the riffles begin or end, that transition area on black jigs. Oxygen is the big key I think in this heat.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.