FROZEN 4

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

With Augustana (Sioux Falls) firing up a D1 men’s hockey program for 2023, there’s been more chatter about conference moves and additions. I think Augie would be a great fit in the CCHA.

They hired Garrett Raboin as their head coach today. He was at St Cloud as an assistant for a few years and then followed Bob to Minnesota where he’s been the assistant there since.

I am not sure if the CCHA will allow them to join on their own. 9 teams is an odd number that is hard to work with come playoff time, and they just booted both Alaska teams and Huntsville. If Augustana can find another team locally, then they might get admitted. Otherwise I think they may have to play independent for a while like Arizona State does. One thing they do have going for them is that they have a new arena being built in Sioux Falls, SD. That certainly helps.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If Augustana can find another team locally, then they might get admitted.

St. Thomas??

CaptainMusky

Isnt Iowa State starting up hockey too? I thought I read that somewhere.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    If Augustana can find another team locally, then they might get admitted.

St. Thomas??

St Thomas is already in the CCHA.

tswoboda

They hired Garrett Raboin as their head coach today. He was at St Cloud as an assistant for a few years and then followed Bob to Minnesota where he’s been the assistant there since.

Raboin is a Detroit Lakes native who was recruited by Motzko to play at St Cloud. He wore a letter for 3 out of 4 years as a huskie, then came back to coach with Motzko after playing a couple seasons in Europe.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

He wore a letter for 3 out of 4 years as a huskie

He was actually pretty good when he was at St Cloud too. If I remember correctly he was a walk-on that really improved as he went along.

Ripjiggen

Isnt Iowa State starting up hockey too? I thought I read that somewhere.

They have been talking about it for 20 years.

tswoboda

Pretty sure he was recruited and on scholarship but he was a 21 year old freshman and yeah had a slow first season. Part of that was probably because he was old school and stayed at a small, non-hockey high school through his senior year.

CaptainMusky

I remembering respecting his game. He seemed like maybe not the most skilled, but a very smart player. I think he will be a good coach. Motzko obviously thinks the world of him.

Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.