Frontline Worker Pay Approved

• CaptainMusky

Haha remember when we thought it was surface transmission too? Wiping down groceries? Hoarding toilet paper???

Yeah, those were the days. Dont forget about the people who loaded up on disinfectant wipes and were selling that at ridiculous prices. There were a couple people arrested I think it was in Tennessee, but havent heard anything recently.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>
    Or would you rather work somewhere, you do not have access to gloves, tests & masks that actually prevent viral transmission are outlawed and anyone/everyone you encounter may or may not have Covid ? Again, not meant to disrespect what the healthcare field did, but others did more with less too.

We work in the same industry so I get where you are coming from, however I still feel they had a better chance of getting it than we did, being around bodily fluids and such.

My wife’s department was literally reusing masks that were designed for one-time use. They didn’t “KNOW” who had covid or not. When people came rolling into the ER, there weren’t rapid tests to administer. Other industries didn’t have the same protection, but they also weren’t in contact with patients for hours on end (administering medicine, bandaging wounds, cleaning them, holding their hand while on a ventilator, etc.) They didn’t have infinite tests either. One day they were told this virus was going to live on surfaces for days, others they were told something different.

I understand the questions and points brought up…but there was in no way shape or form the same risks involved in other industries early on in this chaos. Sure a year later when things had dragged on and PPE shortages were addressed, I’ll buy it. Not when it was at its peak and nobody had any answers. I would have greatly supported larger payments for Nurses, CNA’s, Dr’s who were hands on Covid…rather than the wider reaching package that was approved.

Everyone did more with less as you state – I agree. Everyone did not do so with the same risks involved though. Hands-on healthcare workers were the biggest heroes of this chaos, period.

big_g
    Isle, MN

QUOTE “Everyone did more with less as you state – I agree. Everyone did not do so with the same risks involved though. Hands-on healthcare workers were the biggest heroes of this chaos, period.”

We can disagree. I give more “Hero” status the checkout person making $12 per hour, who seen hundreds a day, with no real PPE. Early on, they went to work when it could travel over 10 feet and last for days on surfaces…. how could they have less risks with no real PPE available ? They saved EVERYONES life !!! Period.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

You’re an idiot. This has nothing to do with one party or another. It was budget surplus money that the state legislature approved, which consists of both parties. It’s not like Walz just decided to hand out money.

Sharon posted this purely for information purposes just like I did in August and the same political commentary like yours emerged.

Since this payment is apolitical why did Gov. Walz want this money to be referred to as “Walz bucks”?

I have no skin in this game, but am amused by politicians on both sides. Whether you like what they say depends on “whose ox is being gored.”

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Since this payment is apolitical why did Gov. Walz want this money to be referred to as “Walz bucks”?

The email that I got with Walz’s signature and him thanking me for what I did felt a little slimy.

CaptainMusky

The email that I got with Walz’s signature and him thanking me for what I did felt a little slimy.

Which email address did he send it from? The “tim.mankato” one?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

QUOTE “Everyone did more with less as you state – I agree. Everyone did not do so with the same risks involved though. Hands-on healthcare workers were the biggest heroes of this chaos, period.”

We can disagree. I give more “Hero” status the checkout person making $12 per hour, who seen hundreds a day, with no real PPE. Early on, they went to work when it could travel over 10 feet and last for days on surfaces…. how could they have less risks with no real PPE available ? They saved EVERYONES life !!! Period.

Some of the people coming in to stores (wearing masks as mandated) MIGHT have had Covid. Hands-on healthcare workers were working where EVERYONE in the entire unit had Covid. The grocery store clerk was close to the same people for what…45 seconds?….when it took greater than 15 minutes of close contact to be defined as “exposed.” Healthcare workers were by confirmed covid patients for 12-14 HOURS keeping them alive.

Grocery store workers were honorable for showing up with risks, I would never take that away from them. But those people who dealt with covid positive patients who were ill or even dying day after day should be looked at in a different light in my opinion. Your opinion is clearly different, and that’s great too.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rvvrrat wrote:</div>

Yeah that just seems to be overflowing with political BS.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

Some of the people coming in to stores (wearing masks as mandated) MIGHT have had Covid. Hands-on healthcare workers were working where EVERYONE in the entire unit had Covid. The grocery store clerk was close to the same people for what…45 seconds?….when it took greater than 15 minutes of close contact to be defined as “exposed.” Healthcare workers were by confirmed covid patients for 12-14 HOURS keeping them alive.

This. We knew that just about every patient we had ACTUALLY HAD covid, not possibly had it. For months we didn’t have the correct PPE either. We had direct contact every day and more than just for a couple minutes. I don’t think this should be a pissing match between who was frontline and who wasn’t. I think where people get mad is that we were told the amount should’ve been much more and then one side of the isle decided to include everyone into it making it a payment that isn’t going to do much for anyone.

big_g
    Isle, MN

This is like having to pick up one of 10 handguns and play Russian Roulette… would you rather know which guns are loaded and wear a Kevlar helmet.. or just have to guess and have no helmet. Eventually luck runs out guessing. Agreed, $487 will not do a lot for someone making $100k+ per year… but will mean a lot more for someone who made $12/hr. Dam the side of the aisle that wanted to include the less fortunate.

(who said it would be a lot more ? everything I had to post, said $$$ dependent on how many qualified for it ?)

knoppers
    big lake, backus

I was denied because I made to much, really! I had to work, and I contracted covid while at work. the only reason I made to much, is beacuse I sold a piece of property that I had to include into my taxes as income, which I owned for 25 years. so your saying if I made 85,000 last year and get nothing, but made 84,999 get the full amount, something is really wrong with our system there walz.

Karry Kyllo

I was denied because I made to much, really! I had to work, and I contracted covid while at work. the only reason I made to much, is beacuse I sold a piece of property that I had to include into my taxes as income, which I owned for 25 years. so your saying if I made 85,000 last year and get nothing, but made 84,999 get the full amount, something is really wrong with our system there walz.

If you made $85,000 last year, you have no reason to whine if you don’t get a paultry $485. Come on.

Smellson

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>kevin konop wrote:</div>

If you made $85,000 last year, you have no reason to wine if you don’t get a paultry $485. Come on.

This will elicit some responses to get this thread closed in a hurry….trying to bite my tongue….

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you made $85,000 last year, you have no reason to whine if you don’t get a paultry $485. Come on.

Doesn’t every FT nurse and Doctor make way more than $85k? All the ones I know do, so this money is not even going to them?

munchy
    NULL

Doesn’t every FT nurse and Doctor make way more than $85k? All the ones I know do, so this money is not even going to them?

Depends if they were direct Covid patient care or not. If direct patient their income was limited to $175k/$350k (single/married). If not direct it was limited to $85k/$185k.

My nurse wife wasn’t direct Covid care and makes more than the 85k, but my wages kept us below the 185k, so we both qualified.(mainly because my employer cut hours to 32 with zero OT for a couple months at the beginning, otherwise we probably wouldn’t have qualified)

knoppers
    big lake, backus

I guess my point was, it should be pro-rated on how much you make. I have no problem receiving nothing, but thought the wage cutoff was a very stupid way to do this.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you worked in a area like we did and do as in every hospital and er room should we not benefit. Or we didn’t count because it wasn’t super cov. Us behind the scenes made every er keep moving but that doesn’t matter. 400 bucks is 400 bucks to all of them and us. But it don’t matter depending on the time frame

orve4

I work as a nurse have been a nurse for over a decade with the last 7 being an RN. I have never made over 85K but this year I was on pace to crack that amount only because of the amount of overtime we are being forced to work do to short staffing. This winter I would work 23 out of 24 days. I work in corrections.

deertracker

Well my vote has been officially bought by Gov. Walz. My payment hit my account yesterday. We are basically best friends now. coffee
    DT

CaptainMusky

Well my vote has been officially bought by Gov. Walz. My payment hit my account yesterday. We are basically best friends now. DT

My wife’s and my oldest son’s havent happened yet.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Trump didnt win my vote when he signed my covid check. Politicians try this crap all the time. Who cares

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Trump didnt win my vote when he signed my covid check. Politicians try this crap all the time. Who cares

What people are failing to realize here is that its not approved by the executive branch – the governor or president simply signs off on it after Congress or the State Legislature has approved it. I don’t quite understand why people can’t figure that out. Apparently they don’t know how the branches of government work as it relates to covid stimulus or state hero pay.

Sure, it has Governor Walz’s electronic signature on it. He has to sign it according to state law because he has to approve it after the legislature compiles it. If it were a Republican governor right now, that individual would sign off too.

CaptainMusky

What people are failing to realize here is that its not approved by the executive branch – the governor or president simply signs off on it after Congress or the State Legislature has approved it. I don’t quite understand why people can’t figure that out. Apparently they don’t know how the branches of government work as it relates to covid stimulus or state hero pay.

True, but what irks most people about the “Hero Pay” is the fact that Walz wanted it to be called “Walz bucks”.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

Sure, it has Governor Walz’s electronic signature on it. He has to sign it according to state law because he has to approve it after the legislature compiles it. If it were a Republican governor right now, that individual would sign off too.

I understand what you are saying but thats not quite the whole story. Im not sure in the Walz case – ill just assume its the same as the Trump case – but Trumps name didnt need to be on that check by any sort of law or formality. He put it on there to garner favorable political publicity. We know this because Biden’s name did not appear on the 2 checks that were issued under his administration. It would seem Walz is following the same tactic as Trump and trying to gain some good publicity by this action. Seems to me thats pretty much politician 101 and par for the course so i dont see what has everyones feathers ruffled over it

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

It was not the signature that bugged me about it and I understand it was both parties that agreed to do this. It was the content of the email thanking me for what I did. I did exactly what I do everyday of my life, I got up and went to work.

Reef W

True, but what irks most people about the “Hero Pay” is the fact that Walz wanted it to be called “Walz bucks”.

Yeah, and even he said Timmy’s Stimmys would have at least rhymed lol

Coletrain27

<blockquote
    I understand what you are saying but thats not quite the whole story. Im not sure in the Walz case – ill just assume its the same as the Trump case – but Trumps name didnt need to be on that check by any sort of law or formality. He put it on there to garner favorable political publicity. We know this because Biden’s name did not appear on the 2 checks that were issued under his administration. It would seem Walz is following the same tactic as Trump and trying to gain some good publicity by this action. Seems to me thats pretty much politician 101 and par for the course so i dont see what has everyones feathers ruffled over it

your still whining over trump? Time to let it go. I’m starting to think you have a crush on him or something

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Yeah, and even he said Timmy’s Stimmys would have at least rhymed lol

😆 🤣 😂

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It was not the signature that bugged me about it and I understand it was both parties that agreed to do this. It was the content of the email thanking me for what I did. I did exactly what I do everyday of my life, I got up and went to work.

That part I can understand.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Frontline Worker Pay Approved’ is closed to new replies.