Friday nights topic

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

We have gotten here, historically, through a (mostly) sensible set of elected officials and decisions from both parties, most of whom have had the same general goal regardless of approach. I didn’t agree with or vote for Arne Carlson, but he was one of our most effective governors ever as far as I’m concerned.

Our current administration and legislature found themselves with a once-in-a-lifetime $17BB lottery ticket (this is due largely to Covid, and the overall madness that a global pandemic brings about; there was no evil, secret plot to overtax us all.)

We got here by being a pretty moderate “purple” state with a good balance between the 2 parties. That changed at the last election for only the second time in state history for one party to have entire control of our state government.

And it’s the same party that let Minneapolis burn, let hundreds of millions for feeding children to fraudulently walk out the door, started the Defund the Police movement that increased crime to levels we haven’t seen since Murderapolis in the 90s and will take years to recover from, and passed the most far left legislation in state history with little to no input from the other side. The other side that represented 44% of the state in the Governors race, and lost the governors race by 192,408 votes due to an overwhelming vote total for Walz in Ramsey (+101,079) and Hennepin county (+250,620 Walz votes). Surely there are going to be some good things to come out of such a massive spending jump, but for each good thing there are many that would not be considered moderate or “purple” by anyone looking at it objectively. And as a state that legally has to have a balanced budget a 35% increase in spending should be concerning to anyone with even a cursory understanding of finance.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I should probably let you guys know, so you don’t worry.. I am heading to Northern Manitoba on Wednesday Morning on a remote lake fly-in to catch monster Pike, Walleye and Lake Trout for 8 days… I will not have access to internet, phone, nothing !!! Take care and see you guys late next week, Eh !!!! toast wave woot chased

Have a Great trip. We leave Friday morning for our 8 day trip in Canada as well. Other than the near 14Hr. drive I’m really looking forward to it. I’m a little worried about how the fishing will be this year. They had a earlier than normal ice out and its been real warm in the area for the last few weeks. I think this year may be the warmest the water has ever been for our trip. I doubt it will effect the walleye fishing but it may hurt the large pike and for sure the lake trout. Most years we are their early enough that the lake trout and big pike are still shallow. With warmer water I’m not sure that will be the case. Oh well, that’s fishing. I’m sure it will be just as fun either way. Being out of the crazy life for 8 days is really needed right now.

David Hughes

21st in school ranking, let through more money at it.

Attachments:
    1. minnesota-school-ranking.jpg

CaptainMusky

MN school systems took a major hit during covid because they locked kids out of school. We used to lead the nation or very near the top, but Walz has set us back decades with his policies and he claims to be a retired teacher.

Umy
    South Metro

Spot on Bigwerm- anyone who feels like the way this state is being led is okay is just either a polyanna or does not understand basic economics. Classic govt. shell game. Sure we get some nice things but we pay for even more in the background.
    My two cents – Minnefornia – no doubt we are headed there.
    As to “move to another state then and see how you like it” We are are looking. Taxing my social security?! Bite me.
    Refund checks to those “lucky few”????
    Do we have LOTS of nice amenities – yes we do but not because of WALZO
    Free lunches- sure great but how do we pay for them? You and I and everyone else who goes to work everyday for those that can already afford them?! PLEASE
    Voter registration, hmmmmmm
    Free college tuition for anyone making under $80,000 ? Coming from education for 34 years I can tell you HOW MANY PEOLPE are not getting married so they can cash in on these NUMEROUS opportunities as they DO make less than $80, 000 EACH but still live together as a family. Been happening for many years.
    17 BILLION in surplus to fund projects that are not currently in the budget. WONDER where that money is coming from NEXT biennium ? OH yea, their going to eliminate some govt spending to adjust for the new programs they added: hah: hah
    That’s why your local school budgets went up. All of the COVID money they spent on programming BECAUSE THEY HAD IT IN THEIR HANDS FOR A YEAR is now being considered necessary in their budgets. YES- it is – I know that for a fact. MANY of those dollars are being spent on things that most of us would deem non-essential in the education of children – positions that give absolutely NO value back to the reading, writing, arithmetic equation that should be our focus.
    With total control of our state the liberal mindset is running rampant. You can close your eyes and ears but we are getting runover and fleeced by our elected officials.

broeker
    Minneapolis, MN

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education

This link, first one that came up in a search, ranks our “well above average public education system” at number 21.

You got me. I used the words “well above” when I should have just said “above average.” Those dang adverbs. That same ranking lists MN as the #5 state overall, which was only kind of my point.

We have it pretty great here, and always have.

And there was a time when our education system was “well above” average and not just “above average.” Maybe investing in solutions to solve some of these other systematic issues and giving hungry kids a free lunch could help.

Did you know that the surplus also increased public school funding by $2.3BB with a heavy investment in early childhood eduction, and paying our teachers better?

What a tragedy.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    What the heck kind of shoes are those EPG? Lol did your dogs chew on them or what

A better question would be ” Do they sell Men’s shoes where you purchased those ”
    jester rotflol devil

applause That one put a smile on my face.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I would call anyone a sucker who wants to pay more taxes.. and get nothing for it. And an even bigger sucker if you continually vote in favor of it !!! That’s just me… a very happy positive person who doesn’t like paying taxes to support those who could do it themselves, but choose not to. wave grin

and dont forget, usually gets more back in a refund then they paid in!!!!! flame flame

now that really lights me up!!!!!! smash doah

ajw

I’ve pretty much lost all respect for public office. Elected and appointed. If someone, anyone, ran on the platform that they’d not pass a single new law while in office they’d get my vote. Bonus points if they take some trash off the books.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Agreed, the question is if we can keep it.

dirtywater

To the loudest voices complaining about the vile democratic control of our state. The catchy phrase “liberal tears grease my gears” comes to mind. In recent years when you had trump in the White House and total control of US congress, along with more balance here in the MN legislature, this was a common conservative mantra. Now that the tides have temporarily turned you have your undies in a bunch and seem quite certain the downfall of society is just around the bend.

I’ll be the bigger man and offer you a tissue instead of a snide catchphrase. And if you need a hug just say so.

Attachments:
    1. ABF70419-3128-49F7-94E2-4DF7F4CC3848.jpeg

FinnyDinDin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>broeker wrote:</div>

Agreed, the question is if we can keep it.

Exactly. We have a great state but with the way things are trending in our state government we may just find ourselves the next California, Portland, Seattle etc.

They over tax us now. Just wait until all the marijuana tax starts rolling in. The stupid spending is just getting rolling.

CaptainMusky

Now that the tides have temporarily turned you have your undies in a bunch and seem quite certain the downfall of society is just around the bend.

This is a legitimate question. Do you honestly think that you are better off now with Biden in office than when Trump was? This will tell alot about you.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dirtywater wrote:</div>
    Now that the tides have temporarily turned you have your undies in a bunch and seem quite certain the downfall of society is just around the bend.

This is a legitimate question. Do you honestly think that you are better off now with Biden in office than when Trump was? This will tell alot about you.

Yes it will. My guess is he will say YES. The problem is that so many people now vote a party rather than a Candidate. Worse yet, those in office vote as a party rather than vote their or their constituents feelings on a issue.

CaptainMusky

FT agree with you 100%. I hate Trump as a person, but his policy was good and America First was what drew me in and wish he would shut his damn mouth, but when he was President we were so much better off than we are now.

dirtywater

Heck yes I do. And no I won’t fall into your trap of listing all the reasons why, because it’s clear to me that our definitions of “the way things should be” are incompatible. So go ahead and write me off for not answering your question “correctly.”

And the “your answer will tell a lot about you” approach is just a passive aggressive way of saying “you’re an idiot if you think we’re better off under Biden.” at that point I don’t have much to say because it’s clear you’re not engaging in respectful conversation. I like to offer an alternative perspective on these threads every now and then, but I try to do so in a way that’s light and respectful. I’m not perfect but do strive to respect the other person even when poking a little fun at his views.

I did equate dutchboy to an 8yo for that crazy Walmart analogy but he had that coming. Sorry db!

CaptainMusky

dirtywater please give a few examples of how you feel you or we are better off right now than Biden. I cant find one, maybe he isnt an orange haired jackass but that is about it. And no, because our opinions differ I dont think you’re an idiot.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

FT agree with you 100%. I hate Trump as a person, but his policy was good and America First was what drew me in and wish he would shut his damn mouth, but when he was President we were so much better off than we are now.

Here is the big difference I see between most republicans and most Democrats. I know a fair # of people who would identify themselves as Republicans who would and have voted for a democrat in an election. I don’t know of a single Democrat who would ever think of voting for a Republican in a election. A democrat presidential candidate could be filmed by every news outlet walking into a nursery school and throwing a live Grenade into every room and walking out, and every democrat I know of would still vote for him no mater who the republican candidate was.

CaptainMusky

I tend to agree with that FT. I dont necessarily consider myself a Republican but as Ive gotten older I tend to vote more for them than Democrats simply because I tend to believe their policies help we/us more. Personally with this upcoming election I really like Robert F Kennedy Jr. He’s a democrat, but I really like a lot of the things he says and what he has done. I would say he is more moderate than left which is pretty much where I find myself.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

A democrat presidential candidate could be filmed by every news outlet walking into a nursery school and throwing a live Grenade into every room and walking out, and every democrat I know of would still vote for him no mater who the republican candidate was.

Let’s calm down here and be somewhat reasonable. Such hyperbole doesn’t help make your case, nor help engage in meaningful discussion.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Let’s calm down here and be somewhat reasonable. Such hyperbole doesn’t help make your case, nor help engage in meaningful discussion.

I’m plenty calm, more than reasonable, and don’t think that was a Hyperbole statement. I truly believe that is true. At least with the Democrats I know. If you know of others who are different, Then Good. There may still be hope for this country yet.
    As for engaging in a meaningful discussion, I’m all for it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

And it’s the same party that let Minneapolis burn, let hundreds of millions for feeding children to fraudulently walk out the door, started the Defund the Police movement that increased crime to levels we haven’t seen since Murderapolis in the 90s and will take years to recover from, and passed the most far left legislation in state history with little to no input from the other side.

Ya. Like these statements are reasonable and non Hyperbole – Not that I disagree with you on any of them.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m plenty calm, more than reasonable, and don’t think that was a Hyperbole statement. I truly believe that is true. At least with the Democrats I know. If you know of others who are different, Then Good. There may still be hope for this country yet.

I don’t know anyone of any party, that would vote for someone after watching mass murder of children on video. And to use such an example is in very poor taste imo, especially in todays world. And let’s not forget Trump said he could shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue and still get votes, so your BS hypothetical is not a Democrat party exclusive there either. But if you want to talk about division or polarization in today’s world, look in the mirror at such idiotic statements.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    And it’s the same party that let Minneapolis burn, let hundreds of millions for feeding children to fraudulently walk out the door, started the Defund the Police movement that increased crime to levels we haven’t seen since Murderapolis in the 90s and will take years to recover from, and passed the most far left legislation in state history with little to no input from the other side.

Ya. Like these statements are reasonable and non Hyperbole – Not that I disagree with you on any of them.

Those are factual events that happened. Do you know what words like hyperbole mean? Honest question.

picklerick
    Central WI

Heck yes I do. And no I won’t fall into your trap of listing all the reasons why, because it’s clear to me that our definitions of “the way things should be” are incompatible. So go ahead and write me off for not answering your question “correctly.”

And the “your answer will tell a lot about you” approach is just a passive aggressive way of saying “you’re an idiot if you think we’re better off under Biden.” at that point I don’t have much to say because it’s clear you’re not engaging in respectful conversation. I like to offer an alternative perspective on these threads every now and then, but I try to do so in a way that’s light and respectful. I’m not perfect but do strive to respect the other person even when poking a little fun at his views.

I did equate dutchboy to an 8yo for that crazy Walmart analogy but he had that coming. Sorry db!

I’m pretty middle of the road on lots of topics and tend to stay out of these discussions on here. I just have to point out the hypocrisy here. Nobody said you were an idiot for supporting Biden. You put those words in their mouths. Putting words in other people’s mouths proved your point?

Here’s a tissue and let me know if you need a hug isn’t very respectful but it’s in the exact same vein as those who have poked at you. Pretty mild discussion all around if you ask me, but you exaggerated it when describing their actions.

I grew up in Chicago until I was 28 and have lived the last 22yrs in rural WI. I have seen both extremes and everything in between. Republican good, Democrat bad…and vice-versa…is what sheeple say and do. I’m not singling you out with that last bit. Just making a final statement.

Umy
    South Metro

Reads the language carefully about how much was “dumped” into education.
    I have.
    Just met with a colleague who works in a small system in the metro. Less than 2,000 students – just hired an ASST superintendent?!
    Lots of it will go to non-profits who provide services to families and children – in my experience these are duplicate services that the districts already are capable of providing, at a CHEAPER cost ( right back to last year’s thread re: Legacy funding) or who historically have NEVER had to provide “results/data/success” for how their state handouts have been used.
    Increased Early Childhood base funding – good
    Increased Community Education base funding ( first time since 2002) – good
    Made “permanent” the existing VPK seats ( Voluntary pre-kindergarten) – good
    Provided language that will allow Early Childhood/Preschool teachers to get compensated more fairly – up to districts to figure out where the money comes from though – the rnak and file K-12 unions will NOT be inclined to give up ANY of their share to help here so likely will still be a problem for these preschool staff. ( too bad our highly “educated” educators and administrators can’t seem to understand that the majority of learning happens “BEFORE” children even get to schools AND that playing catchup with a HUGE percentage of students AFTER they arrive in our K-12 system is, in essence, teaching to the lowest common denominator. Call it “dumbing down” if you want but that language seems kinda harsh. THe primary reason we are no longer an education elite state and continue to slide downward.
    One example: 9-10 month employees can now apply for and receive unemployment over the summer. Good? -sure -can’t find enough workers now the way it is ( already burned out with the system) so now they will likely not want to work over the summer – who would? I’m sure someone will find a way to look at this from another angle and that’s fine – to each their own.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

Those are factual events that happened. Do you know what words like hyperbole mean? Honest question.

For the record, I do know what the word Hyperbole means. I’ll be honest, I looked it up right after your posted your reply with the word in it. This google thing is rather good for things like that.
    As far as division or polarization ( Yes I know the meaning of those words as well – I didn’t even need to use google for them ) I don’t need to look into a mirror to see it. I’m far from either. As a matter of fact, I’ve voted a mixed ballot in every election I’ve voted in ( Can you say the same ) I have a good # of friends who are about as far on the opposite end of the political scale from me as possible. Its never effected our friendship. It does result in some lively conversations in the boat while fishing or while out having a few cold ones. Its odd, because you and I most often seem to be on the same side in most issues, but yet you always seem to want to attack me on my replies. Did I wrong you in a past life or possible in this one and just don’t remember it? if so, let me know and I’ll be glad to apologize to you for it. As you said, lets carry on and engage in meaningful discussion.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.