Fowl hunting mn/wi border water

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

When hunting for quackers on the river, do state licenses reciprocate?

I am a minnesota resident, what do I need to be legal?

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

The MN Regs book tells you exactly where you can and cannot hunt along the border waters. Best to read that instead of taking someone else’s word for it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

^ True dat…. but MN/WI HUNTING licenses do NOT reciprocate.
    There’s a few places on Pool 4 where a person thinks he’s in MN but is actually in WI.

Diamond Island by the Vermilion and at the head of Lake Pepin come to mind, there maybe more.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

The MN Regs book tells you exactly where you can and cannot hunt along the border waters. Best to read that instead of taking someone else’s word for it.

I agree with you. I read the whole mn waterfowl regs and there’s no info on border waters.

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

You are correct. Sorry, I thought it used to be listed there. If no where else on DNR website, I would call the information number. Good luck!

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

Go to Upper Mississippi Refuge Map page and you can select area you want to hunt. Stateline is usually main channel but not always. Look at map legend to see symbol for stateline. There are also notations on certain hunting areas so you need to look at it carefully.
    https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Upper_Mississippi_River/map.html

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Thanks a lot lucky dave!

mattgroff

Just do yourself a favor and get a Wisconsin duck license most of the good huntable spots on p4 or south are on the Wisconsin side anyway.

craig s

Hunting is different than fishing the river.when hunting, the imaginary line between the two states IS IN effect.i agree with above post,most decent water is WI side..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.