Ford F-150 owners

• Stanley

I have started the new to me truck search and have been looking at F-150’s. I have been looking at 2015-18 trucks as those fall into what I’m looking to spend. It will be a crew cab XLT with the 302A equipment package at least. I would like some input/opinions from current or former owners about anything good or bad, certain years to stay away from. I tow a 18’ aluminum full windshield boat and a 17’ ice castle so I have been looking at the 3.5EB and 5.0V8 but don’t have a preference either way since both will be an upgrade to my current truck.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I just sold my 2014 F-150 that had the 5.0L V8 engine in August. I had that truck for 5 years. It was only a supercab, not a crew cab. I never experienced a problem while owning it and would suggest it as a reliable truck for the purpose you intend to use it. I also towed my boat with it which is an 18 foot aluminum fishing boat.

I will say that the ATV did not fit in the bed with the tail gate shut and that kind of bothered me.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

2018 here, it has been a great truck. I have never liked the soccer mom trucks that they make now with the 5.5′ box, all makes do this to fit in the small garages people are putting on their houses now. I got the 6.5′ box on mine with the max tow package and it has been good for what I do with it, pulls everything I need fine including the boat, utv’s, bobcat etc.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I ran a 2013 eco and now a 2019 3.5 eco crew. Towing is no problem. You’ll give up a little, but not much, going with the 5.0. Mine current one has the soccer mom box (ahem) and would agree that the 6.5′ is more usable. I just got tired of the long wheelbase on the ’13. I’ve had no issues with my 19 thru 70k miles. Turbo was replaced under warranty on the ’13, but my buddy is running it with 170k and no major repairs needed since. The 15-18’s have been known for cam phaser issues (both eco and v8) and it is not a cheap fix. If it was me, I’d buy from a dealer with a lifetime powertrain warranty or at least find out if the truck you’re looking at has had the phasers replaced. Our construction business has two ’18’s. One has had the phasers replaced twice and the other was just traded off for a superduty after phaser replacement.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I have 2015 3.5 eco.
    I’ve noticed a rattle when moving at low speeds. Sounds like it’s coming from the exhaust. Was thinking it was a loose heat guard or something.

Is that the Phaser?

stevenoak

I have a 20 eco. But pretty much the same. I bought the 3.5 eco because I own an 1850 boat with a 115 and 9.9, fairly loaded up. My favorite spots to fish since I retired are Northern Mn. and the Ozarks where my brother lives. Both just over 500 miles one way. Throw in one or two trips to the gulf. I travel and tow a lot. If you are fortunate to be relatively close to your fishing spots. The 5.0 is a good motor less expensive to buy and maintain. I have to say I hate the 6.6 bed. Only because after 50 years of owning a couple dozen trucks. It’s the first time I don’t have an 8′ bed. Not a soccer Mom. 2 years ago, hauled 500 70# landscape blocks and 50,000# of gravel into the back yard with my 1500 GMC. When I brought my 20 home to our new house. Had to take the Thule rack off the top, pull it against the front wall of the garage and pull the trailer hitch to shut the door. But after 2 1/2 years battling contractors schedules and more $$ than I care to add up. It’s in a 15×46 garage addition with my boat. Used trucks are crazy priced now. I sold my 2011 GMC in 2020 with about 150,000 miles. Had I kept it another year, I could have got over 2/3rds what I paid for it new. But the new truck would be $10k more. I’d shop hard for good miles, and service records.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have a 2014 crew cab FX4 with the 6.5 box and 3.5 eco motor. Atv fits in it with the tailgate up, towing is no problem. Just turned 150K miles 2 weeks ago. No major issues, just a few minor ones over the years but no big deal.

Stanley

Thanks for the info especially about the cam phasers. I thought that was just a problem on the first gen eco’s. I will be keeping my current truck also that has the 6.5’ bed so the new one will probably be the soccer mom version jester

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I feel like this forum is losing its edge. 6 posts in on a thread asking for advice about F150s and:

A. Nobody said get an F350 bare minimum.

B. No get a Chevy, get a Ram comments.

C. No mentions of the mythic resale value.

At least somebody got in a soccer mom shot.

C’mon men. Pull your thumbs out andake an effort here.

Ron F
    Rochester MN

I have 2015 3.5 eco.
    I’ve noticed a rattle when moving at low speeds. Sounds like it’s coming from the exhaust. Was thinking it was a loose heat guard or something.

Is that the Phaser?

I don’t know what a bad phaser sounds like but I had an exhaust shield rattle on my 2013. Easy fix to replace a rusted off hose clamp that was holding down one end of a heat shield.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’m no expert, but the phasers are on the front of the engine and control the timing of the cams. First indication that they are going will be a slight rattle on a cold startup. Eventually, they will rattle quite loud every time you start it and can/will affect how it runs.

Slabtown
    Western Wisconsin

Cam phaser will rattle right at cold start up after the truck has sat a day. I just had mine done in my 18 with the 3.5 eco. That was the first problem I had with that truck and it has about 50k miles. It was under warranty and ford knows this is an issue and may have extended the factory warranty to cover it.

I also had a 12 crew with the 3.5 and put 150k on that with no problems.

Pull the same size stuff you do and it does real well with plenty of power, but it will suck down the gas when towing.

big_g
    Isle, MN

In todays current terms… the 5′ something box is the grocery getter. The soccer moms need the 6′ something and real men have an 8′ box. Just sayin. smirk

404 ERROR
    MN

I just sold my 2011 5.0 Crew std bed a couple weeks back. Owned it for 8 years and 110k. Never let me down once. I loved that truck but it wasn’t the best with a trailer behind it. The 5.0’s make power above 3,500-ish RPM, that’s about it…It’s a much better muscle car engine…

If you’re looking for something with good reliability over anything, I think the 5.0 is for you. I’ve hauled about 6-8K with it across the country a couple times. It gets the job done, just at higher RPM’s…

If you’re looking for something that can pull the boat great but also get decent highway mileage without a trailer, the 3.5EB motors are sweet.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

2015 F150 w/65k 3.5eco no problems, best truck I have had.

Bill Mundt

I’ve owned a 2011 with 135k miles, 2015 with 120k miles and currently a 2018 with 65k miles all 3.5 EB FX-4 Crew’s. All with zero issues. I also have a 2023 3.5EB on order that goes into production next week.
    My cousin is a service manager at a Ford Dealer. Claims most EB issues are lack of maintance problems. He said its very important to change engine oil every 4-5k and to use Ford’s oil. Take it for whatever its worth… Like I mentioned. I’ve had “Zero issues.” He says it unbelievable how many customers buy new vechicles and NEVER get an oil change done. And then P and M about having engine failures.

Beast

I have a 2015,2,7 engine, 6.5 box, sport package. I put it on tow mode when towing when towing my bass boat, (20ft triton fiberglass) I could get between 16-19 mpg, then I traded for a 17.5 alumicraft the mileage stated the same. either way I hade plenty of power. running empty and 60 mph country driving It will get 20-25 mpg. I just turned 10,0000 with no problems other than oil film around the oil pan that the 2.7 is notorious for but not enough to spend $1,000 to have fixed I use mobile 5w-30 synthetic and ford filters and the engine is clean and dry other than the oil pan film.

Stanley

My current truck is a 99 GMC 2500 with the 6.0 so poor fuel mileage is nothing new to me but this truck will be more of a daily driver and family vehicle and from what I have seen they are capable of getting 20mpg or more empty so that is much better than my GMC. I would get a car for better fuel mileage but with my truck aging (rust) I will need a truck sooner than later.

Bill I’m with you on the maintenance part. Too many people see I can go 10k without an oil change and never even check their oil. Some people just never maintain anything then wonder why stuff breaks. My FIL is like that he could wreck a crow bar in a sand pile.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have a 2012 XLT with the 5.0. The only Negative thing I will add is that my Rocker Panels are Rusting Really bad. This was probably as much my fault as it was Fords fault. To be honest I do not tend to take as good of care of my Trucks as I should. That said I really don’t feel like they should have rusted this bad in less than 10 Years. I would take a real close look at the panels in any one you buy. If you see any rust starting be aware that it goes to real bad rather fast

JEREMY
    BP

soccer moms need the 6′ something and real men have an 8′ box.

My truck has a 5’8″ box and i just washed my hands before i peed. Damn im gonna lose my man card.

huntinforfish

Been happy with my 2018 w/ 2.7 Eco. I don’t pull much but when I do, it is no issue. I previously had a 2012 w/ 5.0 and would say the 2.7 is easily the same if not better. 10 speed transmission makes a huge difference. My dad runs a GM 6.2 in 1/2 ton and I can pull anything he does and get better milage doing it. 3.5 would be a great option for you.

404 ERROR
    MN

My truck has a 5’8″ box and i just washed my hands before i peed. Damn im gonna lose my man card.

As long as you didn’t after, you can keep it for now…

whytie
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

My brother has a 2013 3.5L, engine blew at 80K. He doesn’t tow anything except for a sled trailer in the winter (6-8 times/year). His went just after warranty so he was on the hook for a 10k repair. My father and brother-in-law both have 2020 F150, my dad’s is a V8 and brother inlaw is eco boast. I like riding in the V8 when towing but the eco boast gets way better gas mileage.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I have a 2012 F150 Eco Boost 3.5 Liter FX4 and has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I bought it with 40k miles on it 6 years ago and now I’m at 180k. I know its older than what the original poster is looking for but the thing has been amazing. Just this year had to replace the struts and AC compressor but other than I have just done oil, brakes, and tires. Guess I’m a grocery getter with the 5.5 foot box but I personally hate the long boxes just because of the look haha and I dont put a 4 wheeler in the back. It’s amazing how well it tows our Tritoon with a 250 HP on the back… sick brag I know

Just my 2 cents from my personal experience you cant go wrong with an F150 and I plan on running mine to the ground because its nice not having a truck payment!

KP
    Hudson, WI

I wish we had a pole option on IDO so we can finally settle the great Ford vs. Chevy debate or TUCR vs Throne Bros rods haha

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I wish we had a pole option on IDO so we can finally settle the great Ford vs. Chevy debate or TUCR vs Throne Bros rods haha

You could always one of each and then just add up the replies. I’d throw in my usual .02 worth on both topics

Umy
    South Metro

have my first truck ever 2010 F150 FX4
    Love it
    Naturally aspirated 5.4 liter V8, Super cab ( 4 doors is NOT a truck – maybe for the Unpopular opinion post)
    Gets me the 6.5′ foot box and tows my boat with ease
    Gets 13.5 mpg towing my boat

For Grouse: if you want a 4 door Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Dodge – you’re a soccer mom, are hauling around a family or my neighbor who parks it out front and never uses it, brings leave bags in to the compost with his wifes Crossover and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it dirty. How’s that?

I NEVER wash my hands before peeing and ALWAYS lick my fingertips to open the plastic bags for my produce after having wheeled my grocery cart into he store.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

One of the biggest problems that I know of with the pre 2016?? F-150s (not sure if it’s just the 3.5 ecos) is premature problems with the timing chain. It’s a known issue. Had to get mine done with my 2013 to the tune of 4k. Otherwise, I love the truck and would consider another when the time comes.

snelson223
    Austin MN

I have a ’14 with a 5.0 and ’18 with 3.5 ecoboost. The ’14 has about 160,000 miles this year was the worst year for repair on that truck. It needed new lead frame and new suspension. The ’18 we bought with 37,000 miles and had to replace cam phasers and new valve cover all under warranty.

In ’17 or ’18 they went to 10 speed transmission I haven’t had any problems with it so far but some people have. I tow a 20′ Warrior and they both pull it fine. The 3.5 pulls it better but get worse gas mileage. The 5.0 is louder running at higher rpms.

We have both 6.5 and 5.5 beds for most everyday use I like the 5.5 bed but there is those times where the longer bed is nice.

milemark_714

I feel like this forum is losing its edge. 6 posts in on a thread asking for advice about F150s and:

A. Nobody said get an F350 bare minimum.

B. No get a Chevy, get a Ram comments.

C. No mentions of the mythic resale value.

At least somebody got in a soccer mom shot.

C’mon men. Pull your thumbs out andake an effort here.

You forgot D,which would be diesel!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.