Ford F-150 owners

• ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Had a 2013 w/ EcoBoost. Mine was rusting out. Got a new one w/ a V8. I liked the EcoBoost. But, the V8 is like a roaring 2 stroke. They are both great. The EcoBoost may be better, but the new one has no rust for the time being.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

One of the biggest problems that I know of with the pre 2016?? F-150s (not sure if it’s just the 3.5 ecos) is premature problems with the timing chain. It’s a known issue. Had to get mine done with my 2013 to the tune of 4k. Otherwise, I love the truck and would consider another when the time comes.

A buddy of mine with a 2017 had his timing chain replaced at 50K. He had free oil changes from the dealership for the first 100k. One of the biggest connections I’ve made is that people with premature timing chain issues don’t know what oil is being put in their engine. Luckily his was under warranty.

I have a 2015 with 156k. I had a couple oil leaks on mine fixed worked on at a local shop which I caused some other problems. I started getting a misfire which was the result of oil leaking into the spark plug tubes. This shop replaced the valve cover gaskets and effed it up. Twice. I also had them replace the timing chain since they were in there and wanted to get ahead of the potential future work.

The misfire was fixed after replacing a couple coils and plugs. The turbos are strong but squeal when I accelerate really hard. I’ve been told they need to be replaced but I’m holding off a little longer.

Besides some minor oil leaks that never reached the ground and the fact the turbos need to be replaced after 150k, I’d buy another. I really wish the power boost engine east geared toward fuel economy for city driving. I think the fact you can use the truck as a generator is really cool.

Angler II

I had a 2013. Had a 180,000 rounds on it when I sold it. It still ran great. Timing chain was replaced at 130,000. Other than that, there was no other issues. I believe the newer models solved the timing chain issue?

I ended up with a 2016 Silverado with a 5.3 after and while that truck drove great, the 5.3 is a dog compared to the Ecoboost.

I will say I wasn’t impressed with the mileage on the Ecoboost but you don’t buy a truck for mileage.

big_g
    Isle, MN

What years was it, where the spark plugs wouldn’t come out of the heads ? I remember that vividly… we wouldn’t touch them. crazy

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

What years was it, where the spark plugs wouldn’t come out of the heads ? I remember that vividly… we wouldn’t touch them. crazy

That was the second gen 5.4L. We did a lot of those, some guys were better at getting them all out without breaking them. Probably 05? to whenever they came out with the new engine line up.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

That was the 3 valve 5.4 (I had an ’05) that they produced from 04-07, and I believe they remedied the issue in ’08 but can’t remember exactly what year they fixed the issue.

That sucked. I replaced mine at 90k, broke 4, and told my wife I’d get rid of it before it needed them again. Traded it in with 165k on it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Like Grouse, I’m a little disappointed in the community here on this thread. Get a 5.7L Hemi, pulls anything you want, cheaper than a F150, and you’re mom was wrong, you CAN handle that much power. Or a 1 ton Cummins, those are the correct options imo. rotflol rotflol

Gitchi Gummi

the 5.4 triton! ahhh it brings me back to the good old days. Man, I loved that truck.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Get a 5.7L Hemi, pulls anything you want, cheaper than a F150,

There is a reason why they are cheaper than the Fords. They will rust out faster than any other vehicle I’ve seen on the road.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.