Flying squirrels….

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Last fall I picked up a Trius clay target thrower….the one with the cocking arm and string release….at a garage sale for a buck. The cocking lock was broke and I had to cut another. That done, it works fine.

Now I am adding a wider base and a higher back to the arm so I can wire an ear of corn to it and add about fifty feet of release line so I can stand in the garage and wait for Mr. Squiggles to come along and chow on the corn. Aimed just right I should be able to air mail the fuzzy little suckers the 75 feet or so the neighbor on the other side of the creek. Or provide some distraction for road monotony as they sail across the street on their way to the neighbors over yonder. I saw a video of squirrels traveling via trap thrower and its something to see. Legs stretched out, tail straight back and as straight as an arrow. Amazingly the all seem to land upright and ready for further action. Our latest snow should blanket the landing pretty well. Almost ready for field testing.

wkw

I can’t wait to see the video of your first …um, flight.
    Good luck !!

Iowaboy1

hhmmmm,after thinking on this Tom,if you time it right you can airmail lunch to that pesky hawk you mentioned.
    but then again the hawk would get lazy and wait around for lunch to be delivered.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

hhmmmm,after thinking on this Tom,if you time it right you can airmail lunch to that pesky hawk you mentioned.
    but then again the hawk would get lazy and wait around for lunch to be delivered.

I was just thinking the same thing.

eyeguy54

cool. I have sent a few flying here but big greys dont fly far with the thrower I have. funny tho! LOL

catmando
    wis

There is a reason I am a dull man, I would have never in a million years thought about something like that applause applause

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>iowaboy1 wrote:</div>

I was just thinking the same thing.

Get him fat and he will land short of its prey.
    Then again your stuck feeding him eventually by hand. doah smile

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

What would be a fitting name?

The Squirrel Relocate apparatus

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Pete Maina had his youtube channel suspended a couple years ago because he has a couple of these contraptions set up in his backyard and would video it. I think you can still find them on his Facebook page. It was hysterical!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

and here I thought Tom as gonna have real pictures of real actual flying skurrels!!!! doah blush coffee

Iowaboy1

What would be a fitting name?

The Squirrel Relocate apparatus

sqaucker wacker ??
    der fur flinger??

Iowaboy1

just so you can envision how this thing works I found this.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

If you were flinging cats, you could call it….

wait for it…….

A Catapult!

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

S.R.

Timmy

Really looking fwd to the video.

Rootski – jester

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You guys seem nice. coffee

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I would say you should post this on youtube, but they would probably remove it. Maybe make it private and post the private link here. That would be some funny stuff seeing those little suckers go flying.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Never mind, looks like someone already made a video. I need to read the comments before I post one.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m surprised that the NAASA hasn’t gotten involved to shut this type of thing down!

(National Association for the Adventures of Squirrely Animals) jester

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

My squirrel chucker does a good job too. Chucks them right into a crock pot along with some spices. A few hours later, the meat is falling off the bones and is so tasty and tender, yumm.

Attachments:
    1. 20181204_084655.jpg

primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

This is a great post! I have had so many ongoing wars with those tree rats. I’ve relocated over 50 out from my small garden just last year. They even ate all my super hot peppers. There is three raiding my bird feeder right now.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Huntingdave those guys look delicious. That’s my style.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Some push snow across roads, some fling squirrels over them…

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

Hahahahah! Can’t wait for some videos.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Squirrels and I are ok as long as they stay out of the bird feeders. I’ve pretty much got feeders now that eliminate using food that attracts the tree rats. Besides, I am set on making the squirrel transporter a reality and I need to have the squiggles relaxed and stupid.

Crows now, I have a neighbor that goes out in the mornings early hand spred bird seed and bread crusts all over cthei yard and by the time the sun is just lighting the edge of darkness crown by the hundreds are there and in our big oak. They crap on everything and have little fear of anything except BANG. The city hires abatement crews to run thru town and set off bottle rockets so I join right in. Another ploy is to just cock the pellet rifle and let it fly without a pellet. Sounds about like a .38. Of course I’ve had the man with the star knock on the door more than once and after I show’em what the bang really is they say have a great day….sorry for bothering. The cop visits are ala the bird feeding old hag. Now if I have crows in MY oak tree, I assume they are about to do damage and I control them with some soft lead. To the tune of 15 to 20 a week. Rabbits are yet another issue that usually will see, or feel, lead. The snow makes the wabbits stand out after dark and they can be a fun plink then.

For now though, I want to make squirrels fly. And if that works I might try pigs next. One never knows what will come about…..

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

For a guy who was on a heck of a rant about fishing and the dnr, sure sounds like you pull some other not so legal shenanigans, not saying anything mean or bad. I like the idea about launching squirrels

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Crows need enemies too. I am one.

realtreeap10
    Over there

I can’t say this wasn’t done when I was in college for some amusement during the after class beer drinking time but I also can’t say the Landlord of our rented house was happy. We were told to stop flinging them into the neighbors yard or we would get kicked out of the house but it was great times while it lasted. Almost like your first potato cannon when you’re a kid.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Had a pair of flying squirrels that showed up every night for several years. Haven’t seen them for quite a while. Fun to watch. Amazing how quick they are.

Attachments:
    1. ice-squirrel.jpg

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I was home sleeping and somehow a flying squirrel got into the house. Now if that little nocturnal critter didn’t jump on me, while I was asleep I probably wouldn’t have gotten up. Oh how we dance all night, me trying to catch that critter and the little guy jumping and gliding around the house. I eventually got the jacket tossed over the flying squirrel and outside I flipped it out.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.