Flourocarbon for slip bobber fishing?

• bullcans
    Northfield MN

I looked for previous threads about using floro for the main line for slip bobber fishing and couldn’t find anything. If I recall correctly, I believe I read previously about guys not recommending it for the main line and most suggested using a good mono and just a floro leader. What’s wrong with using floro for the main line?
    Appreciate any input you guys and gals have to offer.
    Thx

B-man

It sinks…not good for a long cast and trying to set the hook

bullcans
    Northfield MN

It sinks…not good for a long cast and trying to set the hook

Ah yes, thanks for refreshing my old memory B Man! waytogo

bullcans
    Northfield MN

And what’s everyone’s favorite mono for slip bobber fishing?
    as well as LB test?

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

6 lb Suffix Elite. Best I tried. Used to use trilene xl but Suffix is better imo.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Trilene XL. Clear.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

If you’re talking walleye, I use Suffix braid but when I used to use mono I used 8lb Trilene XT. You want your main line to be stronger than your leader. That way if you break off your leader you don’t lose everything. Just have to tie on another few feet of leader and a hook and cast it back out.

The only reason I’d ever use a 6lb main line would be for panfish.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

If you’re talking walleye, I use Suffix braid but when I used to use mono I used 8lb Trilene XT. You want your main line to be stronger than your leader. That way if you break off your leader you don’t lose everything. Just have to tie on another few feet of leader and a hook and cast it back out.

The only reason I’d ever use a 6lb main line would be for panfish.

Joe
    How does your bobber stop work on the braid?
    Does it slip much from it’s original setting?
    Or is there a better bobber stop for braid?

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Search “Better Slip Bobber Stop”. Joe explains it well there

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I can’t find the bobber stops joe suggested anywhere. Looked a couple of times since the OP.

Bob Erfish

I use regular string bobber stops on 8lb power pro line, and 6lb mononor fluro leader. The bobber stop needs to be wet before you tighten it. Not sure the science behind that but that combo has been the best for my walleye set ups. The bobber stop will last a whole summer and stay tight.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

The best approach I’ve found for bobber stops on superlines is to simply use two stops put on separate and pushed together.

I’ve had difficulty with any other types of stops not casting smoothly.

Will

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Joe
    How does your bobber stop work on the braid?
    Does it slip much from it’s original setting?
    Or is there a better bobber stop for braid?

I don’t have much of an issue at all. If they get real old they might slip after reeling in a fish. If I notice any movement I just put on a new one and it works great again. The other stops out there just don’t work very well.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

It depends…for most people slip bobber fishing is a dead stick presentation. You basically just set it and watch it. Slowly picking up slack. That makes that flourocarbon line work against you as it sinks and drags in the water.

If you’re an active slip bobber, or fixed bobber. You’re constantly imparting action onto the bobber/lure. That flourocarbon line isn’t so bad as there’s not much time given to allow it to really sink and drag in the water.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I have 2 rods in my boat rigged up and ready for slip bobbering… both are inexpensive, and honestly, the ones I like the best… 7 foot med light ugly sticks with shimano $40 reels (can’t remember the name of reel) spooled with 8 pound clear mono. Regular knot bomber stops, bead, thill wobble bobbers, bead ball bearing swivel, 3 foot of 6 pound flouro, and a 1/8 ounce google eye jig.

tim hurley

So why is the line sinking a problem? the lure is under the bobber (sunk) does it mess up the action somehow?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

So why is the line sinking a problem? the lure is under the bobber (sunk) does it mess up the action somehow?

Your slack line sinks. When you pick up your rod and try to set the hook the slack line is submerged and you do not get a good hookset.

I use Florocarbon extensively for other things, but not slip bobbering.

TMF89

I’ve used mostly braid for years, and honestly it doesn’t usually cause an issue. Every once in awhile I’ll find I need to double up on stops, but most of the time they hold fine. I do have two stops on my bobber rods just in case, but that’s more because I don’t want to re-tie on the off chance I’ll need them both. Nice thing with braid is the zero stretch and thin diameter means better hooksets and less issues with your slack line bowing in the water.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I’ve been using braid mainline on everything with a flouro or mono leader. Just so versatile and the zero stretch has prevented me from going back to anything else

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Floats in braid or even very thin, light monos can be the pits. The double string knot steps up to the braid dilemma but I use a lot of small static floats with real light line. Here’s a couple of thill mini-stealths that I use many of and with light lines [and yes I’ve tried this with braids] and how I’ve addressed the slippage issue. These small floats come with one of the latex tubes to secure the line to the float. I use two of the latex tubes.

The line going away from the top of the float is going to the rod. You can see how the float is rigged thru the small hole in the stem from the lure, then the latex tubes are simply pushed on over the stem and line. The second tube on the right side float is strung and ready to be slipped on the stem. While the line I used here was primarily for visibility so you can see how they’re rigged, I have tried these exact floats with the 4 pound Clam Ice Braid that’s hair thin and the dual tubing works with it as small as it is. I’m almost certain that two string stops tied on the thin line will wok if this does for a static float.

Someone asked earlier what wetting the strings did…..the wet string tightens tighter because the water reduces the friction that would hinder the strings from drawing tight.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.