FlameKing 1lb Refillable Tanks – Do they exist anymore?

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I had a Menards order for 3 tanks ($16 each) since June (I forgot I even had the order and canceled it yesterday). Menards looked it up and their last received shipment of them was back in January!
    Looking them up online the only place to buy them is private sellers who of course jacked the price over $50 per tank… Even FlameKing’s official Amazon store sells them for $50 each!
    Whats the deal? There’s no way covid distribution problems last an entire year for a single shipment?!?

Coletrain27

They have been impossible to find. I got lucky and found 6 on the shelf at my local menards last year

vinella

Check Scheels and Runnings websites frequently. I ordered and received 3 from Scheels 2 weeks ago.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Check Scheels and Runnings websites frequently. I ordered and received 3 from Scheels 2 weeks ago.

will do!

gonehunting

I also got 6 of them about a month ago at runnings for $18.99 each

Erik Swenson

Can confirm both Scheels and Runnings have them.

Runnings $18.99 and Scheels $19.99, but if you are having shipped Scheels cheaper with free shipping.

Thank you bringing up the thread!

deertracker

I jumped on both websites after seeing this thread. Scheels wouldn’t let me order but allowed an email sign up notification for when they were back in stock. Runnings had them in stock. Got an email this morning from Runnings saying my order already shipped.
    DT

Erik Swenson

I jumped on both websites after seeing this thread. Scheels wouldn’t let me order but allowed an email sign up notification for when they were back in stock. Runnings had them in stock. Got an email this morning from Runnings saying my order already shipped.
    DT

Aw man! Sorry dt. I only ordered 4… doah

deertracker

I ordered 4 myself. Maybe should have gotten a few more. grin

How is everyone filling these? Are you buying their refill kit or just the regular adapter from Mr. Heater?
    DT

Coletrain27

I ordered 4 myself. Maybe should have gotten a few more. grin

How is everyone filling these? Are you buying their refill kit or just the regular adapter from Mr. Heater?
    DT

ive got the flame kit refill tool and it works great.

Erik Swenson

I’ve had the kit for a few years now. Reminds me I need to refill the 20# tank soon too.

deertracker

Look what showed up already. woot
    DT

Attachments:
    1. image-5-scaled.jpg

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Anybody check Marine General?

James Almquist

Anybody check Marine General?

Online it says Out of stock

Darn tanks are becoming the new gold standard. Scarce and worth a lot if you can find them. Glad I bought the kit and 6 tanks a few years ago.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

DT

Runnings won’t let me order more than 1 cylinder.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Are they that good? I refill the regular 1 pounders for maybe 2 years or so until they get way too beat up then recycle them and grab new ones. Feels like I get my money’s worth anyway

KPE
    River Falls, WI

LOL Walmart has them online for $96 a pop. No thanks

Erik Swenson

Are they that good? I refill the regular 1 pounders for maybe 2 years or so until they get way too beat up then recycle them and grab new ones. Feels like I get my money’s worth anyway

They’re the only legal ones available and quite a bit safer than what you’re doing, but not worth $100 each to your point.

Tlazer

On the other post for these I posted that Scheel’s has these available now. Selling at $19.99 and limit of 5 per order.

JoeMX1825
    MN

yep, i finally placed my order for 3, free shipping is nice

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

To the guys actually using these Flame King cylinders, do they take on what you’d consider a fill that’s equal to what you get in a disposable cylinder?

My father insists on refilling the disposo cylinders and I’m always throwing the damn things out of the blinds and deer stands because there is always a leaky one in the batch stinking up the place. Not to mention the obvious safety issues.

I’d get him a couple of these refillable ones, but the other issue I have is can they be filled as full? I notice the refills dad does don’t seem to last as long.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

They’re the only legal ones available and quite a bit safer than what you’re doing, but not worth $100 each to your point.

Legal? Imagine getting cited for refilling a propane tank. Now safer- yeah probably. I did have a one pounder blow propane everywhere because the check valve got stuck open when I unscrewed it from a stove. I take accountability for that one because it was rusty as hell and shouldn’t have been refilled I was just being cheap. That tank was probably 4 years old. I scrapped all my tanks and bought 8 new ones this year so those should last the next 2 years or so, depending.

The best thing, IMO, is running a 5 or 10 lbs tank. They’re much lighter than 20 pounders, and can be refilled at tractor supply or anywhere that fills tanks. Perfect setup for ice drinking.

CaptainMusky

Late to the party, but thanks for the head’s up. I ordered 5 tanks and then ordered the refill kit with an additional tank from another site. It didnt say it was on backorder so hopefully I get it soon. Much more convenient to use 1# tanks in the buddy than to lug a tank along. Although I do have 2 5# and an 8# tank now which is nice.

CaptainMusky

SCORE! The local ACE hardware had a kit in stock so I am going to pick it up. Mimbach Fleet in Sauk Rapids.

JoeMX1825
    MN

To the guys actually using these Flame King cylinders, do they take on what you’d consider a fill that’s equal to what you get in a disposable cylinder?

if you put them in a freezer for an hour beforehand they get pretty close to full, probably 90-95%, without freezing them I beleive they get to 80-85% full, not a big deal imo when you have a couple of them…

I’ll weigh a unused Coleman vs a filled Flame-King and let you know…

The FlameKing main selling point is they have a reusable pressure relief valve that lets you know when they are full vs guessing on a normal 1lb tank…

Erik Swenson

Legal? Imagine getting cited for refilling a propane tank. Now safer- yeah probably. I did have a one pounder blow propane everywhere because the check valve got stuck open when I unscrewed it from a stove. I take accountability for that one because it was rusty as hell and shouldn’t have been refilled I was just being cheap. That tank was probably 4 years old. I scrapped all my tanks and bought 8 new ones this year so those should last the next 2 years or so, depending.

I believe it is unlawful to transport refilled, disposable propane cylinders yes. I don’t know how a LEO could tell if decided to check though.

Grouse, you are able to get them to the 80% or so that they are supposed to be filled to. They have an overfill valve that you close when it starts spitting. Tanks last every bit as long if not longer.

3Rivers

I have used these extensively and currently have 6. Each one has been refilled probably 50 times over the past 4 years. I finally did have a couple that started leak a bit last year (while I was filling). Flame King sent me a couple of O-Ring repair kits and was a simple 5 min fix.

One of the best things I’ve bought really. The Big Buddy Heater seems much more reliable running on 2 1lbers than a 20lber too. Yes, it’s not ideal for overnighters or long weekends vs a 20lber though.

Yes they do fill full every single time and can be topped off before they are empty as well. I can be confident that I always have 6 pounds of propane for every trip out and not having to guess.

tswoboda

I believe it is unlawful to transport refilled, disposable propane cylinders yes. I don’t know how a LEO could tell if decided to check though.

Yeah that’s the point, I can’t imagine any officer asking if your 1 lb propane canisters have been refilled. And even if they asked, how could they tell? To be clear I think the flame-kings are the obvious way to go for safety, it just seems so silly when someone brings up the disposables can’t legally be refilled and transported.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.