• Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

An oldie but a goodie…

Trout fillets – skin on one side

2 cups water

1 cup white wine

1 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon dried parsley

.5 teaspoon curring salt (Morton Tender Quick)

2 teaspoon onion powder

1 cup NON iodized salt (Pickling Salt)

2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I recommend using fish that has been frozen for at least 3 days.

Soak the thawed fillets with all the ingredients listed above (mixed well) overnight or approx 6-8 hours. Use either a glass container or ziplock bag. Turn over a couple of times during the brine process.

Lightly rinse the fillets with water and pat dry. Let stand to form a pellicle. I place mine in front of a fan to hurry it along to get that shiny coat. This may just take a half hour but I have had some take up to 2 hours.

Soak a couple of handfuls of alder chips in beer or water (1 hour or more).

Hot smoke them about 160-170 degrees for 3 hours. Mine came out moist with a slight salt/spice bite to it (perfect-as expected). Smoke longer for more of a smoked bite or a more dry fillet. Fun to sample as it goes along.

My homemade ceramic smoker can be dialed in to the degree without problem from wind or cold. It was negative 5 degrees in my garage during this batch I made last night. I highly recommend spending the $100 on materials. The only drawback is that it is somewhat fragile. The first minute of this youtube clip shows the construction. it rocks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ka2kpzTAL8&feature=related

-Boogs

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

One of my favorites!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’d be real cautious using that brown clay in any cooking application. That stuff can contain extreamly high levels of lead and mercury.

-J.

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

Yikes!

This popular smoker design is not new to the market – and I know that it doesn’t contain any glaze anywhere that may contain lead/toxins.

But you are right. I should not assume it to be safe.

I will have to crunch the online data tonight.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Just go the the hardware store paint dept. They sell cheapo lead test kits. (For testing walls for lead paint) Give it a few swipes and see what ya got.

-J.

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

You read my mind. I just got off the phone with Ace in Rochester. $10.99 for 6 strip/tests.

I will check tonight.

-Boogs

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Now I have to go find some trout and give it a try.

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

I tested all the components… I am proud to announce that I am the father a healthy 25 pound lead-free home made smoker.

Bubble gum cigars for everyone!

Thanks J!

-Boogs

chomps
    Sioux City IA

great look’n recipie, most of those pots would have lead in the glaze, good thing to look for and know what you are buying

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.