Prime Rib

• Rich4Walleyes

I remember last year that there were sevral recipes for prime rib here. I am looking at making my first one this year and wondering how I go about cooking it. What are some of the recipes that people are using? I remember that some of them last year really sounded good.

holennet
    Park View, Iowa

I suggest you join “The Cooks” group. Just a day or two ago I was reading a recipe for prime rib. Plus there are many recipes that look great for all kinds of stuff, shared by the group.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I ran a kitchen for quite a few years when I was younger. I would make anywhere between 5 and 10 ribs a night. I personally love salty food so I would rub mine with all the salts in the cupboard, onion, garlic, celery and then salt and pepper the heck out of it too. You should try to get quite a thick coat of the salts applied ans rub it in well. We cooked all of ours in roasters pans not in the oven but I would assume it would all be the same. After salting well place the rib in your pan and then chop up semi fine and spread over your rib: a whole onion, 4 celery sticks. Next dump 2 cans of whole stewed tomatoes. Cover with lid or foil for baking.

Preheat over to 500°F

After 15 minutes on 500°F, reduce the heat to 325°F. To figure out the total cooking time, allow about 13-15 minutes per pound for rare and 15-17 minutes per pound for medium rare. The actual cooking time will depend on the shape of the roast and your particular oven. A flatter roast will cook more quickly than a thicker one. So make sure to use a meat thermometer. This is not a roast to “wing it”. Error on the rare side.

Roast in oven until thermometer registers 115°-120°F for rare or 125°-130°F for medium.

Keep it more on the rare side because you can cook it further in the AuJus before serving.

While the rib is cooking make up you AuJus. I like to start with at least a half gallon to a gallon because it will reduce with cooking as the night goes on and your guests will also be using it for dipping. Add beef base until you have the desired saltiness. You will probably be adding 1/4 cup per half gallon of water. It will become more salty as the AuJus reduces. I then add a touch of the onion and celery salt and four or five whole garlic cloves. If you are not a garlic fan leave them out. Bring this to a boil and then simmer until serving time.

Before serving dip the sliced portion of prime rib into the AuJus to warm or cook to the desired wellness. Place on plate and cover with a bit more AuJus.

You can also top the prime with the veggies you had in the roaster pan while it was cooking if so desired.

Enjoy. Let me know when I should be there!!

whittsend

You will get probably as many different ways to cook a prime rib as there will be posts on this thread….

Lots of ways to do it, and usually its hard to screw it up…. BUT… Always make sure to watch your meat thermometer!!! Remember the temp will probably rise a good 10 degrees when you pull it from the oven, during the 20 minute or so “rest” after cooking.

I usually cook mine low and slow @ 200 degrees until it reaches an internal temp of exactly 118 degrees. Then pull it and put a foil tent over it for a 20-30 minute rest period, then slice and enjoy!!! You will get a great medium rare rib roast, with the majority of the meat medium rare (vs more well done edges when cooking at higher temps / shorter cook times)…

I generally follow Alton Brown’s recipe — http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dry-aged-standing-rib-roast-with-sage-jus-recipe/index.html

Good luck !!! I know I’ll be doing a 15lber Xmas day… Can’t wait!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.