Crazy-Tasty Panfried Catfish with onions and herbs

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Normally when i pan-fry fish I use a breading of some sort… but over the summer I tried something different.

Drop 1/8 stick butter into a frying pan and brown, then add 1 coarsely chopped onion. Saute till the edges of the onion just start to show some brown. Then push the onions aside and add a bit more butter and drop a couple catfish fillets in the pan. I have a 12″ cast-iron pan and I can do both fillets from a 3# catfish at a time. I prefer to start with the skin-side down too, so the fish doesn’t curl as bad.

Push the onions back over the top of the fish and set a timer for 4 minutes. DO NOT TOUCH THE FISH!

@ 4 minutes, push the onions aside again and flip the fish, hit it with a heavy sprinkle of italian herbs (aka “Italian seasoning” — dried basil, marjoram, thyme and oregano), push those onions back on top of the fish and leave for another 4 minutes.

I usually do one fillet for me and one for my wife, each right from the pan to the plate, with half the onions on each. She prefers if I fish the lateral line out before I serve it, and I like to scrape off the yucky brown fatty bits (and I pull the lateral line out while I’m at it).

This recipe can be expanded to fit whatever size fish/pan you have, but one normal-sized onion is perfect for one 2-3# catfish.

The best part is that once you’re done, the house does NOT smell like someone was cooking fish, it smells like someone was cooking something really freaking tasty!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I’ll be trying this with my first catch of early ice gills and crappies. Thanks Jared

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

You’ll have to let me know how they come out… I have a bunch of bluegill fillets in the freezer, I should do that myself sometime soon.

You’ll probably want to cut the cooking time back a little bit since the fillets will be thinner on a ‘gill or a crappie than on a 3# catfish. Maybe 3 minutes per side? Just keep an eye on them… the only trick is to avoid burning them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.