Need a killer baked bean recipe.

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve seen them done many ways, but don’t have a formal recipe. Anyone have one that has a bit of kick to them??

I’m thinking a pound of bacon, an onion fried in bacon grease along with some cayenne seasoning. What else is “must have” in your baked beans??

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

my woman does :

1 big can of Bushes onion baked beans
    1 onion
    1 green pepper
    5-6 slices bacon

fry the bacon set aside, fry the onion and green pepper and then add beans and bacon. These are the best beans I’ve ever had

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

If you are starting from scratch I have some recipes that take a while to cook. If you want to spice up a few cans try this one, I really like it. I got it from Allrecipes.com:

1 (28 ounce) can baked beans with pork
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 medium bell pepper, diced
    4 links spicy pork sausage, cut into chunks
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    4 tablespoons vinegar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    salt to taste
    1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
    In a Dutch oven, combine the baked beans, onion, bell pepper, and sausage. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, garlic powder and salt. Add a dash of cayenne if desired.
    Cover and bake for one hour in the preheated oven.

jsfishin
    Urbana, IA

that recipes is similar to my mother in laws, except to

add 2 tbl spoons of Molasses, it sweetens & thickens

stuart
    Mn.

Add a little Jim Beam to any recipe you go with.
    Some for you and some in the beans.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

You bringing them up north Kooty. Think Ill be making a batch for the trip.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Think Ill be making a batch for the trip.

I just found another good reason I can’t go Mike

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

10-4. Need a side to go with one of our meals. What better than spicy baked beans, bunch of fried food and maybe a couple beers. Thank god we are not fishing in ice houses.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

You asked for killer, here it is. You actually “smoke” the beans in a grill…..which you could do in a foil pan for easier clean-up. Sure you could pre-make almost all of it. Hardest part is smoking it, which we all know is simply an excuse to sit around the cooker, talk smart, and drink beer.

I can personally vouch for these……check ’em halfway thru and maybe even add a bit of water if they’re drying out. Adding foil will help too. It’s a gooey pile of goodness when it’s all done.

From Steven Raichlen – BBQ – U

Best Barbecued Beans on the Planet

Method: indirect grilling

Serves: 12 to 16

* 1 pound smoked brisket or bacon cut into 1/4-inch slivers

* 1 can (15 ounces) black beans

* 1 can (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans

* 3 cans (each 15 ounces) baked beans or pork and beans

* 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped

* 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped

* 1 poblano pepper or green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped

* 4 cloves garlic, minced

* 3 to 6 jalapeƱo peppers, seeded and diced (for hotter beans, leave the seeds in)

* 2 cups sweet red barbecue sauce (your favorite commercial brand)

* 1-1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar, or more to taste

* 1/2 cup Dijon mustard, or more to taste

* 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional; see Note)

* Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper

You’ll also need:

1 large (turkey-size) or 2 medium-size aluminum foil pans; 2 cups wood chips or chunks (preferably pecan or hickory) soaked for 1 hour in hot water to cover, then drained.

1. If using bacon instead of brisket, place it in a large skillet over medium heat and fry until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Pour off all the bacon fat, saving a few tablespoons for the beans, if desired.

2. Empty the cans of black and kidney beans into a colander and drain. Rinse the beans under cold running water and drain again. Place all the beans (including the baked beans or pork and beans) in a large nonreactive mixing bowl and add the onion, bell and poblano peppers, garlic, and jalapenos and stir to mix. Add the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard, liquid smoke, if using, and brisket or fried bacon and stir to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or mustard as necessary, and salt and black pepper to taste; the beans should be very flavorful. Transfer the bean mixture to the aluminum foil pan or pans. (If you used bacon, you can drizzle a few tablespoons of bacon fat over the beans for extra flavor.)

3. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-low. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and run the grill on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium-low. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium-low, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.

4. When ready to cook, place the pan of beans in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat, and cover the grill. Cook the beans until they are thick and richly flavored, about 1 hour. If the beans start to dry out, cover them loosely with aluminum foil. Remove the beans from the grill and let them rest for 15 minutes, then serve.

Note: If you cook the beans in a gas grill, you probably won’t be able to generate enough smoke for a strong wood flavor. Add the liquid smoke in this case.

bellrichard
    Byron,MN

Can’t wait to givr this one a try, Thanks

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

Quote:

10-4. Need a side to go with one of our meals. What better than spicy baked beans, bunch of fried food and maybe a couple beers. Thank god we are not fishing in ice houses.

We will be having ours friday night with some slaw and deep fried grouper.

Now all we need is some home made beer.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

hey Kooty, If it’s not too late, use thin rubber gloves when handling the hot peppers!

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

hey Kooty, If it’s not too late, use thin rubber gloves when handling the hot peppers!

I love life lessons.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

My last pot of mean beans I used ground venison, bacon, onions… felt sorry for the wife that night!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.