Fishing near Webb Lake

• Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

Hey Guys, I’m curious if any forum members fish/spend time near Webb Lake. My sister has a cabin on Hanscom Lake nearby but it suffered a winter kill a few years ago and the fishing has suffered. I will be going up 2 out of the next 3 weekends and am going to bring my kayak to check out some nearby lakes. I have heard good things of nearby Long Lake and Fish Lake (Burnett County). If anyone is familiar with the area and has some tips I’d love to hear them!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’ve fished Big McKenzie Lake and also Yellow Lake (closer to Webster) for walleyes. These are both very nice lakes. They both have walleyes and muskies. Good luck.

PS. Gliders has a good breakfast. It is on Long Lake Rd.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

Good to know about Gliders! Thanks. My sister said it’s a fun little bar.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Birch Island has some nice big mouth bass fishing. Good size lake too.
    Since you are using a kayak you may want to consider floating a section of the Namekagon River but you’ll need 2 vehicles for that. Some good smallie fishing can be had and they dont get too much pressure. Especially from people keeping them.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I would second Suzuki’s recommendation on the Namekagon. I haven’t fished it in many years, but you could go to Trego and have either Jacks or Log Cabin (canoe and tube rental places) drive you up river and drop you off. It is an awesome river. Tubing it can be a blast too.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

I have tubed the Namekagon a few years back and it was a blast! I will be headed to the Danbury area for 5 days in August and I plan on either floating the Namekagon or the St. Croix one day and doing some fishing. I have never fished either of those stretched but I have heard good things about both of them! Birch Island is right next to my sisters lake so I’ll have to check that one out! It looks like they have a small launch that my family could drop the pontoon in at to keep them busy while I fish as well!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I dont know the Nam below Trego. It’s bigger water and quite busy with canoes. BUT it likely has more bigger holes.
    I have only been on it above Trego. There are several landings so you have options on float time. I think tubers generally take the first landing (Earl) so they can make it back to Jacks. I suggest an anchor or prepare to get our of your craft often. I bought an anchor last year specifically to anchor my kayak on the Nam.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

I tried out Birch Island Lake on Saturday but didn’t have the most luck. Got into a few bass and pike on a spinnerbait and then a few more bass on a topwater frog but nothing over 2lbs. There were a lot of pleasure boaters on the lake Saturday which made fishing a lot of shorelines/areas difficult. I’m not sure which lake I will try next!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was on Birch Island last night. I apologize for the tip. I think this lake has experienced some recent winter kill. Last time I was on it was years ago and the numbers were up. Beautiful habitat but mostly ultra shallow. I’ve heard it can be the best there is but that would take a string of mild winters I imagine. Let me know if you head up that way again. I’ll give you a lake to try that I fished yesterday that isnt far from BI and it has fish.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

No worries man! It was a pretty cool lake, I stayed in the Northeast Arm (w/ the launch) for a bit and then fished the reeds on the North end of the main lake – I was very surprised they weren’t holding any fish as the water was about 6ft deep through them. Then I paddled over into the West arm and there was less boat traffic – that’s where the majority of my fish came from. My dad has an old friend who has a place on BI and he thought that he had heard about a recent winter kill but I figured I’d go see for myself. It’s probably the same winter kill that hit Hanscom.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Likely the same winter that killed my lake too. Its a major bummer having a cabin on a winter kill lake!!! Walking out the door 20 steps to the pontoon sure was nice.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

I may be late on the post but I have a cabin a few miles up 77 from Webb and the in laws have a cabin on webb lake as well. I have family that also lives in Webster. If you are up in the area this summer shoot me a PM and I would be more then happy to meet at the fish bow or one of the bars and give you some help.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

I may be late on the post but I have a cabin a few miles up 77 from Webb and the in laws have a cabin on webb lake as well. I have family that also lives in Webster. If you are up in the area this summer shoot me a PM and I would be more then happy to meet at the fish bow or one of the bars and give you some help.

Sounds good man! My family cabin is a few minutes from the Fish Bowl on the Loon Lake Chain. My sisters cabin is close to Gliders. I will definitely be going up to both a few times this spring/summer so I’ll let you know.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.