Fishing in Cedar Falls, Iowa

• Tom Schreiber

Hi all,

I just moved up to Cedar Falls Iowa to attend UNI. I love to fish around the Iowa City area but I know nothing about the fishing scene in Blackhawk County. I am not targeting a specific fish, I am just searching for hot fishing spots around the area. I will fish for anything including walleye, bluegill, crappie, largemouth/smallmouth bass, channel cats and northern. I do not have a boat so I will be fishing from the shore. If anyone can give me insight as to where to try my luck within about a 60 mile radius of Cedar Falls/Waterloo, Iowa that would be awesome. Thanks!

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Tom,

I grew up in Cedar Falls and know the area well. I would focus my efforts strictly on the river fishing from shore. Tons of fish in the Cedar/Shell Rock and easy to get to. Use Google Earth/Google Maps as a tool to help locate areas of interest. Stop into Hank’s Bait and Tackle in Waterloo (talk to Mike) and he will put you on fish with the right equipment.

I miss the Cedar River/Shell Rock River. I am in Des Moines now and fishing isn’t near as good… Take advantage of it! toast

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

There is good fishing and good public access below the dam in CF. An investment in a set of waders will greatly improve the water you can reach and the holes you can fish. Just be careful, I’d recommend using a wading staff. Once you get used to having one, you won’t want to wade without it. Personally I use an old cross country ski pole, works great and it was cheap.

Tom Schreiber

Thanks Joel and Dave, I will be sure to stop by Hanks and ask around. Will probably try my luck on the Cedar today.

Tom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.