Fish Fry tips wanted

• tim hurley

Big family fry is next week, any advice on oil or breading? Fried a few for a friend yesterday and did not have my usual breading, so I used flour salt, panko, just a little corn meal and smashed up Dots pretzles. Fish were very good so I may have a new goto.
    Thanks

Dan
    Southeast MN

About a year ago my FIL got me into Fry Krisp batter mix and I really like that. They come in bags which could be helpful if you’re doing a large fish fry. And I use vegetable oil.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Dons Chuck Wagon makes a good beer batter. Shore Lunch Cajun is a decent breading. I use Canola or peanut oil. Use a thermometer and make sure the oil stays around 350. Old cast iron pot holds the temp well. Usually do a batch or two of fries before the fish.

Good luck !

-J.

Coletrain27

i also like the shore lunch cajun and louisiana brand used as a breading and not a batter. i use canola oil. ive tried the pretzel one and didnt care for it myself. lots of good ones out there to choose from

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Dons chuck wagon, fish and chips is very good, peanut oil

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Dons chuck wagon, fish and chips is very good, peanut oil

according to that Ed guy you work with devil he said all you rapids guys are Fry magic fish batter fellas whistling rotflol

haleysgold
    SE MN

Fry Powder!
    If you haven’t heard of it, you really should try it.
    I made good battered fried before using many diff kinds of batter and breading but the Fry Powder made it even better.
    Crisp!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Cajun shore lunch is my go to. If they don’t like spicy, regular is good, or you can cut the cajun with some other stuff like Panko. I always use regular vegetable oil, but you can church it up with peanut or sunflower if you’d like.

Kelly Jordan
    Fort Atikinson,Wisc

Saltine crackers in food processor, add a little pepper.
    Still my go to way to fry fish.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I would do both a breaded and battered and let the family taste both.
    Peanut oil for me @ 350 degrees. Digital thermometer, stay tight on it.
    Cut fish for equal size and don’t crowd the pot.
    Ever try potato buds for a dry breading instead panko?
    Ya can always spice up your breading or batters with spices from the cupboards.
    Cajun, spicy or plain, I’m not so fond of a herbed.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Tim I know you started this thread with the intent of asking for specific fish fry help, but you could also try another cooking method if you are getting sick of the same old fish fry. Baking fish, deep frying them (if you have a deep fryer), or grilling them are all delicious options. I kind of got sick of fried fish myself so I started preparing it in other ways. I’m sure there’s lots of good recipes out there on this website that people can suggest.

catmando
    wis

Egg and milk wash, roll in fry magic, and coat with Dots red pretzel, ground up in a blender, Another great breading Chef Roberts, its an all in one breading. DK.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I tried a few different recipes. But I’ve been stuck on one for 2 years.
    Egg wash, then original Ritz cracker crumbs, then deep fried in peanut oil.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Just got done frying up 24 fillets out here at the campsite on Namakan lake.

Ziploc shaken in fry magic, quick bath in egg/milk mix, and into a zippie of crushed ritz done in the food processor at home.
    Into the canola oil at 350 and serve with beans, boiled white potatoes and a salad and we are good!!!!

Just enough left over for a few sammies for lunch tomorrow grin

tim hurley

Lots of great tips, thanks. Oh and G. I don’t catch enough fish to get tired of fried fish grin
    Like to grill anything in the trout family using foil, butter-I use indirect heat. Dang now I want to catch some trout!

amlavold
    Wisconsin

Always have been a big fan of Zatarain’s Crispy Southern Fish Fri; just wet filets with water or milk, the breading stays on and fish comes out crispy. Also had a guide in Canada that used Aunt Jemima pancake mix which was interesting and quite good. Not loaded with seasoning to take away from the fish.

CaptainMusky

We have used instant potato mix as breading when we go on our Canada trip to mix things up a bit. They are fantastic!

Kevin Yopp

Dip dried fillets in flour, shake off excess flour, dip in egg wash, coat with panko, fry in medium high canola or peanut oil till golden. If you want you can prep the fillets (coating, etc) and let them sit in fridge for a bit which helps the coating firm up, then fry.

You can do the same as above with Potato Buds instead of Panko, for a different flavor.

tornadochaser

Been doing a “double dip” batter/breading on walleye lately and my daughters love it.
    mix up shore lunch beer batter as directed on the box into a dish.
    mix a dry batter like shore lunch original (or just use some flour), panko bread crumbs, and season to taste.

dip fillet in beer batter, let excess drip off, then lay in the panko mix. spoon some mix over the top of the fillet, lightly press the mix into the meat, and then gently lay the fillet in the fryer basket. This works best with larger chunks of fish i.e. pike, walleye.

for our panfish, mainly bluegill lately with some crappies and perch mixed in, I just use beer batter with seasoning; the double dip method isn’t getting that nice golden brown color on panfish without the meat getting over cooked. I like the lighter beer batter panfish pieces on fish tacos, which is usually what I make with leftovers.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Louisiana brand blue bag. No egg wash just dredge the fillets in the breading. It is a little coarse but sticks nicely to fillets and has a great flavor. It is the easiest method just spread a bag out on a plate and dip them in it and press the seasoning to it a little and ready to go in the oil. Have not had one person not like the taste. Do larger batches at work once a month or so. waytogo

picklerick
    Central WI

I’ve been doing peanut oil and Andy’s in the red or yellow variety and no longer do an egg or milk wash. I either just shake the damp fillets in a baggie of Andy’s or dip them in Frank’s Red Hot then shake them. It makes some fine fish tacos going with the hot sauce dip first. For extra crispy, add corn starch to the mix. I’d say panko is crunchy and corn starch is crispy if that makes sense. I always let them sit for a few minutes before frying. I coat everything, lay them out on sheet pans, then start frying in batches.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I got one of these for breading and love it.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I give it an egg wash and use 1 bag of Andy’s red and 2 bags of Andy’s white. Cook it to a golden brown in peanut oil. Then add a shake of Old Bay garlic and herb or dill or lemon herd.

For tarter sauce: Mayonnaise, yellow mustard, chop onion, chop dill pickle, garlic, and dill.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Dredge it in oil then panko and air fry the fillets whole pretty good stuff,

catmando
    wis

I have made the perfect tarter sauce, Miracle Whip, sweet relish, Top the Tater, and a squirt of brown horseradish mustard. DK.

tim hurley

True Bear jester
    Tarter Sauce if you must: Helmans Mayo, relish to taste, couple of shakes of Trinadad seasoning from Penzeys. Soooo good

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.