First timer tips.

• McCoy Zajicek

Hello all me and my girlfriend are planning on heading up on friday morning to low. Is there any tips or tricks anyone can share? Kind of planning to go out of Adrian’s but I heard the road is ruff. Thanks in advance!

McCoy Zajicek

I should also put that we are bringing a wheelhouse with us! Thanks

haleysgold
    SE MN

Me too. and 1st time too.
    Guy that has the wheelhouse is up there now.
    Hopefully somebody chimes in with some tackle tips.

Good luck McCoy!

toddrun

Kind of common advice I can share. Try to get away from the crowds, location is not really that critical, there isn’t much for structure to hold the fish, although if you get lucky and get in the mud bottom, it is better. Closer to Pine Island will get you the morning and evening bite, possible big Walleye, but slow during the day. Further out will get you more consistent action throughout the day, but mostly smaller Sauger.

As I was told by a guide, you need to ring the dinner bell. Have at least one bait with an aggressive rattle, or aggressive action, to bring the fish to you. Remember this is coffee stained water, not very much clarity, so you have to attract the fish in to you. Then have a dead stick, bobber rig, with good lively minnow. Sometimes the like the jigging lure, sometimes they like the dead stick.

Glow red, glow pink, gold and sometimes green are kind of the standby colors.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

There probably quite a ways out on the lake. Make sure you are gassed up, have everything you need for the day and then double check, because you’re pulling a wheelhouse your drive out will be slow, could be an hour drive out to the spot.
    When you stop a Adrians ask Keith the Bartender what there bitin on, he’ll know.

Have fun!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Red and Gold are always LOTW staples for me. I usually stop at one of the bait shops (shout out Steve’s Lucky Bait) to get an up to date report, add a few baits and stock up on minnows.

haleysgold
    SE MN

McCoy – How did you do?

It was a very interesting trip for us. The bite was tough.
    Got there around 9 AM and then about an hour to drive 25 miles out on the ice.
    It was super windy and cold.
    Starting fishing around 11 AM. Kept 6 that day but not very big, bite dropped completely off at 4 PM. Had quite a few bigger fish that we’re lost on the way up.
    Saturday we marked a lot of fish but couldn’t get them to bite. Assuming it was the weather and the fish just weren’t biting.
    Gave up at 1 PM and then the fun started.
    We hit a stretch 8 mile stretch on the way in, snow falling and windy.
    We couldn’t see the road and a few times had a guy jump out and walk ahead of the truck. Took us an hour to go that 8 mile stretch! Got stuck once but got out and a lot of slush. A group of 5 trucks behind us but then didn’t see them again. Assume they got stuck. Lots of shacks on their way out and I’m not sure what would have happened if we had met them when the road narrowed to 1 lane with deep snow on either side. Wouldn’t have been good I know that.
    About 2 hours to reach shore.
    Overall the fishing was really slow for us but hey, that’s fishing.
    I’d be really curious to hear from anybody else that on their way out or in Saturday between 1 PM and 5 PM?

Andrew Hubbard

If your not jigging frozen emerald shiners you’re doing it all wrong👍

Andrew Hubbard

Andrew Hubbard

Andrew Hubbard

Andrew Hubbard

haleysgold
    SE MN

Bump THT.
    McCoy – curious to know how you did?

I saw the frozen shiners at the bait shop. Guess I shoulda grabbed some. X5. blush

Coletrain27

What’s the deal with the frozen shiners? Do you just hook them in the back and jig them? Would like more info on that if your willing to share toast

BigWerm
    SW Metro

We were up Friday the 14th thru Monday, and it was very slow 5 miles past the island off of Cyrus’ road. Red hook set lines were the best bet, and everything was small. Biggest eye was about 16″, caught a 23″ pout too. Still had a good time all things considered!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

We were up Friday the 14th thru Monday, and it was very slow 5 miles past the island off of Cyrus’ road. Red hook set lines were the best bet, and everything was small. Biggest eye was about 16″, caught a 23″ pout too. Still had a good time all things considered!

Karma for fishing on Valentine’s day!

Eric duffy

Adrian’s roads are rough but drivable. No need to go 21miles out. The first break right off shore is good enough. Just get away from the road and target whatever you want. 35ft for sauger and walleye, 5 to 18 near shore for pike. You literally can go anywhere in the big basin, drill holes and catch fish so don’t sweat the small stuff. Fish the depth you want, move if you don’t strike it rich. I’ve never needed to move more than twice to get on walleyes. Trophy pike can take a bit more hunting.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’ve never needed to move more than twice to get on walleyes.

Sorry if this is the case you haven’t fished out there enough. I’ve fished LOTW with snowmobiles before and drilled hundreds of holes in a day. We drilled and moved, drilled and moved, drilled and moved without ever catching a walleye. Other times it seems you can go anywhere and catch a limit. To say it’s that easy always just makes you sound silly. It’s a great fishery but it’s not magic.

Eric duffy

Notice I said walleyes, not scads of walleyes. I’ve grown up in the area and fished the lake and river all my life at least a few times per week in season. The average guy can go pretty much about anywhere in the basin and during a weekend stay, he can catch a few walleyes. If you fish metro waters, a hard day on lotw is still typically better fishing. Sure you’ll need to fine tune things to get on great numbers but if you go out into the main basin and don’t catch anything after a while, make a move to an area unlike what you just tried. It’s not magic but it works for most people.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.