First time hunting

• Dan Baker

This year, I am bringing my 10 year old son along hunting for the first time. He is still too you to shoot, but he will be with me in the stand and possibly on some drives. Just looking for some advice on what I should pack for him, or possible purchase for him before we go?
    Thanks,
    Dan

JEREMY
    BP

Snacks, snacks, and more snacks. And TP to poop out snacks.

deertracker

What kind of hunting? If its pheasants or deer, blaze orange head to toe. When you say he is too young to shoot, do you mean he is not ready? 10 year old’s can hunt pretty much everything. Maybe have him bring a BB gun to work on muzzle control.
    DT

Dan Baker

It is for the opening of Firearm Deer season that he’ll be along. He hasn’t gone through firearm safety yet, so can’t be liscensed. There is a youth hunt option a couple weeks before, but I didn’t want his very first hunting experience to be him pulling the trigger.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I brought my 7yr old out a couple times last year. In addition to his warm clothes I brought a blanket so he could stay completely warm (he’s not used to sitting still outside). I brought binoculars for him and also just accepted that he would eventually want a change so we brought a book and a pad/headphones. I got a nice big double stand, snacks and drinks, we didnt have too far of a walk in, and we stayed until he was feeling done.

I treat it like I have treated fishing – the early goal is to have positive experiances rather than successful hunts. He would last a few hours, he had lots of questions, and it was a nice time.

Jensen

Exactly what tindall said make it all about him and not the hunt. When he is bored or wants to go, leave immediately.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I bring my son with as well. Last year he was 9. But we hunt from the ground on private land. Last year we took our 2 deer plus a nuisance that way. He loved it. He is just like me. Sitting in a stand isn’t that exciting. It’s fun to add the extra challenge to the hunt. Which we did and he was so happy to spot the deer. It added to the excitement. Then I had to explain to him about deer we let walk and pass by us. Kept him busy as well while being quite and observed detail. ( also was tough because he sounded like a bear coming through brush). He liked it enough he wants to go again this year. I personally wouldn’t let him have a tablet or phone in the woods. But that is just me. The boat is a much different ordeal. But yes to snacks snacks snacks and warm gear.

deertracker

It is for the opening of Firearm Deer season that he’ll be along. He hasn’t gone through firearm safety yet, so can’t be liscensed. There is a youth hunt option a couple weeks before, but I didn’t want his very first hunting experience to be him pulling the trigger.

What state are you in? In MN you can start deer hunting at 10. Just have to get your firearms safety at 12. Or 14 if you use 2 years of hunter apprentice. Just an FYI.
    DT

JEREMY
    BP

No way would i give the kid a phone or tablet. You are there to hunt. If he gets bored go home. Kids spend way to much time with that crap the way it is. My stepson has been duck, goose, turkey and a few times deer hunting with me since he was 2. My daughter has been turkey and duck hunting since she was 3. If you have to leave early that is part of it. If you wont have the ability to decide to leave when he gets bored dont take him he will never wanna go again. Im assuming you wanna do it for him or you wouldnt be planning this.

Delilah Rae

I have to agree with what folks said above- some of my greatest hunting memories before I pulled a trigger were with my dad in the deer stand. He always made sure we had extra hand and boot warmers (I didn’t tolerate the cold well as a kid) and I had my little back pack I called my deer stand pack. I had my own water bottle, some snacks and a few books, a bird guide, some binoculars and my game boy.

Reading in the deer stand while my dad hunted is what gave me my love for hunting and the outdoors! Your kiddo will have a great time!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I remember being in the stand with my old man years before I was able to hunt. It was fun being part of the “deer camp.” I remember mixing drinks and playing cards with the old guys. I learned how to drive cruising back roads while pheasant hunting at age 14. Learned how to walk quietly, listen to sounds, staying quiet in a stand, and so on well before I could hold a rifle. But one thing that always held true, I could leave the stand or hunt when I needed too. Was never “forced” to hunt.

Krh129

Our camp tends towards the social side. We have always started hunting with hunters as young as 8 from ground blinds. We build a platform a couple feet high and try to place it with a wide field of vision. The ground blind keeps the wind off and covers the wiggling around. A couple dads even brought little buddy’s with on the super cold mornings. It seems like just seeing some deer no matter the distance keeps them interested, and we have have taken deer this way too….. just cannot be too fussy about what you want to shoot. Biggest advice do not turn it into a grind.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I remember my old man taking me out that young. Hot thermos of apple cider, snacks, and plenty of handwarmers goes a long way into making it enjoyable when you’re that young.

Dan Baker

Great advice all! Thanks!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Biggest advice do not turn it into a grind.

This. When I first went, I was 12 and I got put into my own stand and was told to wait for a deer that never came. I lost my patience pretty quick at that age and after the first season, I thought about not going again. The second season I actually started seeing deer from my stand and that peaked my interest. By the third year I could sit there for half the day and by the time I was in high school I could sit there all day for 11 hours.

It can get extremely boring for hours or days on end and kids do not have the patience for it. Hell, even some adults don’t. Don’t turn it into a grind at first. Obviously you have no control over how many deer walk by.

E4mo

I’ve always enjoyed hunting from tree stands, but in this situation I’ve really come to love ground blinds. There’s no fall risk in a ground blind. I can bring a snacks and a heater. The kids can move around a little without spooking game and I can have them nap on the ground when they get tired.

robby
    Quad Cities

Let him bring his phone, iPad, book etc, with earphones of course so he does not get bored. If he is not into that stuff, do not make him stay after he starts complaining or being bored or cold. Plan for the cold, snacks as mentioned is good advise. These things can make or break your hunt. And do not ever get on his case about his lack of patience at his age. Or he may absolutely get a bad taste for hunting and not want to go. My daughter used to go with me, and she did pretty well. As she got older she decided she did not want to go anymore, and I did not force her. She still likes to shoot once in a while and will fish. She will eat anything I bring home. She is 15 now, maybe she will will change her mind, maybe she will not. Ill bet she may would go rabbit or Raccoon hunting with me again. We will see.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.