First Ice on Horizon

• Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

It is still a little early to predict when, but the long range ice-making forecast for Ely is now coming into the 10 day window. With positive looking colder weather, there’s a chance for boots to hit walkable ice before the end of November. With the likelihood of 3-5″ of snow to come today/tonight, lakes will begin chilling below the 40 degree mark and overnight temps should start building ice on smaller lakes around the 23rd. I’m not going to go as far and predict when there will be safe ice, but we have an optimistic chance of ice fishing before December arrives!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Update, snow is falling heavily right now! This should really help prep the lakes!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

We’re getting some pretty good snow here too in duluth. Looks like things might be looking up for some hard water

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Nothing but rain here. And a forecast for more warm temps over the next week – 10 days.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Sitting in the stand earlier today, it’s a beautiful sight.

Attachments:
    1. image18.jpeg

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Saw ice on a small lake and some ponds today! We won’t be making any ice this coming week, but boots on ice is looking hopeful for around Thanksgiving.

And I got to rescue a loon today, that was pretty exciting!

Attachments:
    1. image.png

2. image20.jpeg

3. image19.jpeg

bigpike

Back yard this whole weekend. Getting closer. Looking like thanksgiving weekend or shortly there after in my neck of the woods. Snow melted off yesterday but ice is still hanging on.

Attachments:
    1. 20151115_111203.jpg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.