First Ice 2020

• Nice Fella

Well now that the days are getting shorter…how far off can ice be?
    (I always wanted to be the first guy to pose this seasonal question, but was always unexpectedly beat to the punch by some diehards in November. I think I got ’em this time)
    jester

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’m already looking forward peering out my window and seeing this setting up…

Attachments:
    1. NovML.jpg

bigpike

Walleyes were super good last year the first week in November. Maybe some October ice fishing this year God willing!

Ice Cap

Just thinking about this the other day. Trying to decide which resort I want to leave my house at on Red this year. Now that I’m retired I go up Tuesday or Wednesday and leave when all the masses arrive Saturday morning and then I go to the smaller local lakes near home with the portable.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I said to my fishing buddy the other day “ if they don’t open the border to Canada in time for our fall trip, it’s going to be a long winter “ So if they open the border I’d be ok with early ice, but if they don’t I hope it never happens. I use to think I liked ice fishing, I think I now realize it’s just something I do to pass the time till open water season.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’m always in a pickle when talking first ice. I like an early cold snap capable of freezing my ponds so I can get to my deer stand without driving through mud…but I hate sitting in the cold…

How about first ice comes end of Oct but them warms up by deer season but there’s enough ice to drive over!!!

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Late November for small lakes and bays is good for me, too much good fishing in the boat starting in October up to ice for me. Last year I was able to get on ice on 11/16, and only for that day, then it warmed up enough that the ice was junk but was still there so I couldnt launch a boat, stayed like that for 3 weeks….

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have way too much open water fishing to do before I start thinking of ice.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I thought I read that forum policies prohibited threads about ice fishing in the summer months.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Soft water > hard water

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Ice fishing was my first love and remains my favorite of all outdoor activities. I look forward to it every year.

Ripjiggen

Yup no way…I would much rather be in a boat than my portable. Andy I prefer this view than the one you posted. Where were you Saturday I was looking for ya…

Attachments:
    1. CF575682-313C-4BA5-A9D9-3B1F2E2E4DE6.jpeg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Andy I prefer this view than the one you posted. Where were you Saturday I was looking for ya…

My villa is just down the road at Myr Mar.

But if you were looking, you wouldn’t have had to look far.

I was at The Harbor (just to the left in your pic) for the meat raffle Saturday night.

Didn’t you see me out there on the patio smoking a heater? I waved at ya… smirk

Typically, I didn’t win any meat that night (yet again)…I should’ve learned by now to be out fishing instead so I can catch and release all that walleye meat. jester

Ripjiggen

Ahh yeah I know what villa you are talking about now…hopefully you had a pizza at harbor at least.

Cameron white

Be in ice early November again here in Manitoba. Can’t wait.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Hopeful for an early November ice season for some amazing first ice adventures!

Cameron white

I’ll be on lake winnipeg early November again.

Ice Cap

Just talking to with both my sons and son in law yesterday. One of the boys mentioned we are going to need to pony up for our deposit on our annual ice fishing trip to Devils Lake soon. We go out every year right after New Years.

I’m not wishing summer away just yet but it’s getting real. Already getting emails about new ice fishing gear and lures. PK lures has some interesting new spoons coming out. Waiting for them to hit the store shelves.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

such a tough time juggling river in the boat, early ice, duck hunting ,and bow hunting. But man am I excited for our yearly 6 man Thanksgiving on red. We been doing it every year and it’s always a blast.

Sylvanboat

My wife had hip replacement surgery last month, so my fishing has been pretty much shut down for now. I am itching for ice but I hope I still have plenty of open water fishing left to do.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yeah I love ice fishing but I’m not ready for that yet……

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.