Deer Jerky

• eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Anyone got any recipes for Deer Jerky?

I have tried all the commercial mixes I could get my hands on and still haven’t found one to my liking. Don’t have a smoker as of yet only a dehydrator and usually use ground stuff. Thanks

ben_dvoracek
    Eden Prairie, MN

I have a dehydrator and smoker. I like using this brand (Eastman Outdoors -Whiskey Pepper Seasoning) and adding a little Jack Daniel’s to the mix. I use whole meat from the legs of the deer and cut them into 1/8 or 1/4 inch thick strips for jerky. Mix the package according to directions and add whiskey for added flavor. Put in jerkey and marinade over night and then dehydrate. Usually takes about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

zmax54636

This is the recipe I use for ground venison jerkey. liquid smoke,garlic powder,onion powder,salt,pepper,beef bulion and it turns out great

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have tried MANY homemade recipes, the store bought ones… best one I have found is the Jack Links it’s all I use now

smfrost
    Minneapolis

we use a mix from Cabela’s or Fleet Farm, cant remember the name right now… My dad has been making jerky for years & a couple key things are
    – don’t over cook/dry out the jerky (yes, even w/ the dehydrater )
    – dont overseason

We let a deer roast partially unthaw (its easier to do thin slices this way)& then slice thin…sprinkle the seasoning of choice…layer & let seasons set in for a couple days…pkging details the preferred time to ensure meat cures correctly… then dehydrate- time depends on thickness of meat & wala!! yummy jerky

We keep the extra in the freezer…but it never lasts long

My dad also used to use the home mix someone mentioned above…but has gone to the mix in box as well

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Thanks guys, haven’t tried those yet, so I got some ordering to do. Mine doesn’t stay in the freezer to long either but that’s on account of the dog being a junky for the stuff. He actually starts drooling when I go near the dehydrator now.

Jack Links is it jerky or mix?

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

SMFROST I have a problem with the over drying thing, does that cancel out the mix to make it bland?

big_g
    Isle, MN

It is a mix, 2 bags of stuff, I use it with ground venison. I have been poking around on the internet and have read where they supposedly don’t make it anymore ??? (this was a guy in Kansas City who said this)… I got it at Cashwise or Cub (can’t remember which one) and have some in the pantry at home. I will look tonight and maybe snap a pic too and post. Man I hope they still make it….

whittsend

Backwoods brand (got it at Gander)…. One HOT and one REGULAR. Mix together, will season 8 lbs. I’ve never been a fan of ground jerky, so I always use thinly sliced slabs of meat.

Use the “Jerky Board” to slice all the meat to uniform thickness. Brine, then dehydrate.

Turns out great, evertime. Just did 8 lbs of bear a few weeks ago.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have tried the slicing…that doesn’t seem to get the flavor through out it, like the ground does…. for me anyways….

whittsend

Quote:

I have tried the slicing…that doesn’t seem to get the flavor through out it, like the ground does…. for me anyways….

How long did you marinate your sliced jerky when it didn’t turn out and/or how thick was the meat???

I guess I haven’t had issues with the sliced variety, but obviously all of us have our own preferences. Besides, its all jerky – (it’s pretty hard to make a bad jerky…)

big_g
    Isle, MN

I had it sliced at the butcher shop… I would say about 3/16 thick… marinated 24 hours per the instructions on the mix. I will say I like stuff strong/salty…. if I couldn’t use a salt shaker, I’d be alot skinnier…

lick

Quote:

I had it sliced at the butcher shop… I would say about 3/16 thick… marinated 24 hours per the instructions on the mix. I will say I like stuff strong/salty…. if I couldn’t use a salt shaker, I’d be alot skinnier…

These also

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Big G thanks I’ll have to look around see if I can find some.

Whittsend the regular was the latest one I tried, this was with ground meat though and didn’t blend it with the hot. Did add some spice but it just tasted really bland to me, could be the way I’m doing things.

Thanks guys, I keep at it if I find one that knocks my socks off I’ll post it. I have found goose makes awesome jerky.

machster179
    Cannon Falls, MN

Big G, I agree, I’ve tried slicing and ground and I like the ground stuff better, I like the Nesco seasonsing with one regular seasoning packet and one spicy packet and dry it in a food dehydrator, the stuff turns out awesome.
    The key is to not dry it too much, we use it up before it can get old anyway and it is salty!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Snapped a pic…shows the 2 bags you mix. This is all I have left, hopefully I can find it yet ???

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Thanks for posting that Big G, I’ve been searching but haven’t come up with to much on it. Thought I found it but it turned out to be Jack Jack’s Link Jerky mix .

big_g
    Isle, MN

Bummer E Mail response from Jack Links…

Dear Glen,

Thank you for contacting Jack Link’s Beef Jerky. We appreciate hearing from you. Unfortunately, the Jack Link’s Jerky Cure has been discontinued and is no longer available.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Best Regards,

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Okay so I have a question I have always used the pre-packaged jerky seasonings such as High Mountain, which has your seasoning and the cure in there. If I am doing whole muscle meat jerky and want to use a more of a marinade approach, as opposed to the dry seasoning, do I need to find or buy cure seperate and add it in? Or do you use a marinade along with the dry seasoning mixes? If not is it just the difference in cooking/drying time?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

We use the Nesco brand jerky seasoning and its good, here is a link to their website, many choices!

You can buy Nesco brand at Wal-Mart and Fleet Farm

http://www.nesco.com/category_12e291b19e72/

My buddy also uses this. I’ve looked at a Walmart in Monticello, MN and York, NE and can’t find the stuff. I’ll have to try Fleet Farm this weekend.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Winner, Winner, chicken dinner. I found the Nesco product at Fleet Farm also picked up a couple more trays for my dehydrator. Made 2lbs of the regular today. Gonna make 2 more pounds tomorrow but will spice it up a bit.

machster179
    Cannon Falls, MN

Kooty…Glad you found the Nesco seasoning at Fleet Farm.
    When I make it I use half of the original seasoning and half spicy and then it’s good for everyone.
    If I use all spicy the wife and kids don’t care for it that spicy but I do!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

If I use all spicy the wife and kids don’t care for it that spicy

More for you then!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.