Favorite BBQ

• rubberduck
    east bethel

Just curious if y’all one place to eat good bbq where would it be. I smoke my own but l8ke to try different places to get new ideas.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Smokeys bbq on coon lake makes some pretty good stuff.
    Like you I usually do all my own smoking but it’s nice to grab a beer and food with no dishes to do at home. Ps. They have a good beer selection

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

It’s local to me and has received good press, Q-Fanatic BBQ in Champlin.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

http://www.bayportbbq.com/menu.html
    Serve yourself buffet style on disposable plates. Brisket, chicken pulled pork sausage and home made sides and bread, great for lunches. $12 lunch that can’t be beat.
    Was on dinner,dives and drive ins. Used to play live music on the weekends but now good southern style blues played over the air.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Ted’s 19th Hole in S Mpls….take out only but it’s phenomenal.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Smokeys bbq on coon lake makes some pretty good stuff.
    Like you I usually do all my own smoking but it’s nice to grab a beer and food with no dishes to do at home. Ps. They have a good beer selection

I live in east bethel… smokeys is great! good food good staff and good tap selection.

i use Q fanatic rub on my pork butts I actually just walk eedout of there before I posted this. Great food!!!

rubberduck
    east bethel

Market BBQ is what I grew up on. there is only one now, was off of nicolet but i hear they are moving.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve been very fortunate to have traveled all over the US. I can tell you that it’s easy to know your at the right place when you see it. Old ran down looking building, gravel parking lot, and out in the middle of nowhere. Generally I find a.lot of these places by word of mouth while traveling. Here is a link to a top 50 list. I’ve been to a few of these places and was very impressed. I also follow Pitmasters, and a few knock off YouTube channels and find places through there.
    Very intriguing how good is prepared regionally, and getting to experience it all put the pounds on a guy
    https://www.southernliving.com/travel/bbq-restaurants

Kyhl
    Savage

On the south side:

The Rack Shack in Eagan, or as I call it, the meat place. I enjoy their sauce selection and I usually mix my own concoction that ends up as a spicy version of a Memphis base.

Mr Pig in Shakopee.

Or what I make. I’m not a fan of sloppy ribs so I mostly only eat ribs I make but will try other meats from other places for ideas. Along those lines, I typically go for a sweet heat flavor when mixing up a rub or brine.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I like Rack Shack in Bville and St Paul, or Baldy’s in Lakeville in the metro, although I need to try Revival St Paul and Handsome Hog, which are both supposedly excellent BBQ. (The original Revival in S Msp is awesome for fried chicken).

I haven’t had anything here quite as good as Arthur Bryant’s or OK Joe’s in Kansas City tho…

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I always wanted to try Q Fanatic every time I travel through that area for work but never had enough time.
    I came across a BBQ joint going south north of Zumbro off the east side of the highway that had phenomenal beef short ribs, I can’t remember the name of the joint nor the highway but it was off an exit and the small strip mall it was in sat behind a trucker/gas station. Boy if this sounds familiar to someone be great to refresh my memory.
    Can’t seem to find a good BBQ (other than this one I cant remember flame ) with good beef short ribs that is not trendy and you need pay the bill with a hundred dollar bill for 2 people.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I don’t remember what this place in Dallas was called, but it was good. Off-topic, I know, but this BBQ talk made me hungry!

Attachments:
    1. Dallas2.jpg

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Francis K wrote:</div>

i use Q fanatic rub on my pork butts I actually just walk eedout of there before I posted this. Great food!!!
    [/quote]

Funny you mention that. Used Q-Fanatic rub on a butt this past Sunday.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0765.jpg

zooks

Here’s a good list, other notables not mentioned:

https://twincities.eater.com/maps/best-barbecue-restaurants-minneapolis-st-paul-twin-cities

– Smokey’s in Coon Lake is good, terrific beer selection if that’s your thing.
    – Northbound Smokehouse is also very good, not specifically BBQ but have a variety of smoked dishes (porketta sandwich, pastrami, whitefish dip plus killer onion rings) and they brew very good beer.
    – Handsome Hog in Lowertown is supposed to be very good, also a bit fancier.
    – MN BBQ Co will be opening in NE Mpls sometime this summer.
    – StormKing in Uptown is Saturday only, brisket is their thing
    – Black Market BBQ is a truck in St Paul, Friday only

carver
    West Metro

Rib Cage in Osseo….just had it today again.

Otherwise it is KC joes in Kansas City.

Justin riegel

I like smokey’s as well, but 2 of my favorites are Big daddy’s in st. paul, some of the best rib tips around. Also Baker’s Ribs in EP, their sauce is awesome and brisket and ribs are as close to texas as you will get in MN.

payday
    Ramsey, Mn

Jellybean and Julia’s in Anoka.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve always been a Rack Shack fan. Good portions at a decent price. Maybe I should leave the south metro once in a while and try some of these other places!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I grew up by Ted Cook’s 19th Hole. Never like their food ever. Always undercooked.

Baldy’s used to be really good when they first open now they’re going downhill fast. I just can’t eat there anymore.

I’m with eagle. Rack Shack is awesome. FYI they recently moved now they’re on the east side of Cedar Avenue on Cliff Road

rubberduck
    east bethel

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Francis K wrote:</div>

Funny you mention that. Used Q-Fanatic rub on a butt this past Sunday.
    [/quote]

Did ribs the last 2 weekends and this weekend it’s butt time! Your pic looks awesome, something about a well smoked pork butt gets me going!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

thanks for this thread! Love me some good BBQ. Not long ago I gave away my old Dave Genz trap to a fellow IDO member from N. Carolina. All I asked for in return was some good ole BBQ recipes. He didn’t have any to give but did give me some delicious vinegar based sauce. Its difficult to find good BBQ in MN IMO but ill give some on this list a try. Ive enjoyed Bakers Ribs in Eden Prarie and Rack Shack in Eagan a time or two

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Anyone go to Greater American Ribs in woodbury. Not really a BBQ joint rather an outlet for ribbs and other meats at a very reasonable price. Pick up package of meat go home put them in the oven. They have pretty much what one needs for a pick-nick or outing as for bbq and side dishes. Pretty good BBQ thats convenient when jonsen for BBQ. I guess they supply the ribs for Lunds/Byerlys and Rudolphs under their own private name.

rubberduck
    east bethel

I like Rack Shack in Bville and St Paul, or Baldy’s in Lakeville in the metro, although I need to try Revival St Paul and Handsome Hog, which are both supposedly excellent BBQ. (The original Revival in S Msp is awesome for fried chicken).

I haven’t had anything here quite as good as Arthur Bryant’s or OK Joe’s in Kansas City tho…

where is the handsome hog located?

rubberduck
    east bethel

thanks for this thread! Love me some good BBQ. Not long ago I gave away my old Dave Genz trap to a fellow IDO member from N. Carolina. All I asked for in return was some good ole BBQ recipes. He didn’t have any to give but did give me some delicious vinegar based sauce. Its difficult to find good BBQ in MN IMO but ill give some on this list a try. Ive enjoyed Bakers Ribs in Eden Prarie and Rack Shack in Eagan a time or two

randy hit the nail on the head, generally the best bbq are the small run down places. but there are some exception off coarse.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

If your in Rochester, MN give John Hardy’s a try. They’ve stood the test of time & the ambiance is firmly not why you are there….

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Smokeys is definitely good. It’s by far the best restaurant within 20 miles of my house.

– Northbound Smokehouse is also very good, not specifically BBQ but have a variety of smoked dishes (porketta sandwich, pastrami, whitefish dip plus killer onion rings) and they brew very good beer.
    – Handsome Hog in Lowertown is supposed to be very good, also a bit fancier.

No offense but I would say meh to both. For the price you pay I’d expect more authenticity.

Handsome hog wasn’t bad but I’d never go back.

Northbound wasn’t bad but I would go back. There’s a few other things I wanted to try.

I’d also say that 1 in 3 bbq places in Texas are better than everything in this state.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

If you make your way to Austin to visit the spam museum, venture across the street to piggy blues bbq. Very good, I used to get the lip smackin sandwich with pit potatoes, but with living on the healthier side now days I opt for the pork tacos and coleslaw.

craig s

I don’t remember what this place in Dallas was called, but it was good. Off-topic, I know, but this BBQ talk made me hungry!

Angelo’s?

I still have days that I want to drive from mn to Texas just to eat there again..

eyeguy507
    SE MN

If your in Rochester, MN give John Hardy’s a try. They’ve stood the test of time & the ambiance is firmly not why you are there….

Place used to be amazing but in the last 10 years it is nowhere to what it was. I think they have exchanged owners at least twice since John passed away and it still gets a ton of traffic because of what John built. Lately the pork plates are more potatos and less pork. The coleslaw and baked beans can’t be beat. I will add that the North location has much better flavor than the South. You are correct on the ambience at the original North location. Gravel lot, 50 year old plates, glasses, chairs. All this reminiscing makes me think I will sneak out there this weekend?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.