Favorite BBQ

• muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Kurt Turner wrote:</div>
    If your in Rochester, MN give John Hardy’s a try. They’ve stood the test of time & the ambiance is firmly not why you are there….

Place used to be amazing but in the last 10 years it is nowhere to what it was. I think they have exchanged owners at least twice since John passed away and it still gets a ton of traffic because of what John built. Lately the pork plates are more potatos and less pork. The coleslaw and baked beans can’t be beat. I will add that the North location has much better flavor than the South. You are correct on the ambience at the original North location. Gravel lot, 50 year old plates, glasses, chairs. All this reminiscing makes me think I will sneak out there this weekend?

The original John Hardy’s building was on 3rd Ave SE. It was a hole in the wall and the BBQ was fantastic. You would walk in and Big John was there to great you and take your order. An old girlfriend introduced me to the place and I have no idea how many times it has satisfied the BBQ craving over the years. Wonder if the family would take John Hary;s for Thanksgiving instead of tradtional turkey?

Agree with eyeguy’s assesment the north resturant is better than the south one. However they did pave the parking lot on the North one.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Kurt Turner wrote:</div>
    If your in Rochester, MN give John Hardy’s a try. They’ve stood the test of time & the ambiance is firmly not why you are there….

Clearly the Rochester area is in desperate need of a BBQ joint if John Hardys gets a mentioning. Theres a new place, Bobs Smoke Stack Ribs, in Byron. Havent had it myself but that may change this weekend..

tbro16 dang forgot about Bob’s Smoke Stack Ribs. Some friends hired him to catered their daughters birthday party quite a few years ago and it was delicious. Since it was a small party got to talk with him and his wife, nice people and passionate about the BBQ.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Big Bore has the best Texas style BBQ i’ve had outside of Texas. I live a mile away, so I have eaten there a lot.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Brought my brother to Big Bore on the way north this weekend. Those pork belly burnt ends are the perfect kind of meat candy! Bro had the Brisket Big Boreito, and I had wings, both of which were great too.

Paul D
    Roseville

Big Guys BBQ Roadhouse in Hudson, WI.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

So far I’ve had BBQ in Kansas City, North Carolina, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

The best BBQ I’ve ever had was at a place called OMC smokehouse in Duluth. It was miles beyond what I was expecting in Duluth, or anywhere for that matter.

On that note I’ll be in Memphis, TN Wednesday and trying one of their more well-known BBQ joints (either Rendezvous or Memphis BBQ) to try and give OMC a run for its money.

I learned while I was there OMC just stands for “Oink, Moo, Cluck”

bigcrappie
    Blaine

There is a place up 35 half way between the cities and Duluth off to the right hand side green building that has some of the BBQ but can not remember the name.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

There is a place up 35 half way between the cities and Duluth off to the right hand side green building that has some of the BBQ but can not remember the name.

Docs?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Big Guys BBQ Roadhouse in Hudson, WI.

Was at Big Guys on Sunday for lunch. Their candied bacon is the bomb. I had a lunch special, pulled smoked beef on texas toast with mash potatos and gravy. I didn’t eat anything the rest of the day.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Thought I’d bump up this thread, went to Buddy Boy BBQ in Minnetrista last night. It was really good, we had a group of 12 and ordered/shared pretty much everything. All the meats were solid (sausages) to very good (brisket and burnt ends), and some of the sides were amazing. Great Mac and cheese and honey ginger slaw. Only negative was cornbread fell apart and the Buddy Baked Beans were just ok.

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigcrappie wrote:</div>

Docs?

I’d be curious to know as well, been to docs several times, good food but didn’t think they had much for BBQ. Bloodies are great, pull tabs are in the machine tho tongue

Rough cut grill off 169 has some good pork.

Umy
    South Metro

Rack Shack IS GOOD – my favorite
    ZZQ smokehouse in Eagan, in a strip mall right next to the new HyVee/ Carbones has the BEST pulled pork I have ever eaten.
    Not a fan of their sauces but the pulled pork ??!?!!?

CaptainMusky

There are no bonafide BBQ joints around me anymore. Even when there was they werent very good. They dont seem to survive in the St Cloud area for some reason.
    Texas Roadhouse is about the closest thing and that is a massive stretch.

Ripjiggen

Went to the smoke out event at Allianz field yesterday. All the BBQ joints around the twin cities were there. Had to be 25 tents for each vendor. Was able to sample a bunch of places from ribs to brisket and chicken. Favorite thing I had that I have never smoked before is a Picanya. Highly recomend the event. It is out on by Justin Sutherland who runs several restaurants and was on top chef.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

There are no bonafide BBQ joints around me anymore.

Have you been to RM BBQ Beast by SCSU? I have some friends in StC that have posted about them, but haven’t gone myself.

Went to the smoke out event at Allianz field yesterday. All the BBQ joints around the twin cities were there. Was able to sample a bunch of places from ribs to brisket and chicken. Favorite thing I had that I have never smoked before is a Picanya. Highly recomend the event. It is out on by Justin Sutherland who runs several restaurants and was on top chef.

That always looks like a fun event, and the guy I was talking to at Buddy Boy said they’d be there and it’s a good time.

CaptainMusky

Have you been to RM BBQ Beast by SCSU? I have some friends in StC that have posted about them, but haven’t gone myself.

Never heard of it, but will have to check it out.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Good sides are definitely hit or miss.
    Brass rail has the best Cole slaw around if anyone has been to brass rail in grandy

Brittman

For those that do not fear the big city …

Q-fanatic (learned above they are in Champlin Park)
    Ted’s 19

Both are fantastic … take out only at both Minneapolis locations.

CaptainMusky

I think KK might be good. Just a leap here but what a pass.

JEREMY
    BP

“Dumba dumb ass penalty.” Thats a BBQ joint name that will draw them in.

404 ERROR
    MN

Brass rail has the best Cole slaw around if anyone has been to brass rail in grandy

Similar to the Brass Rail Lounge in mpls? Never been but I hear they have a great hotdog selection.

Scoreboard in Nashville is excellent. When the smokers are in the parking lot, you know you have a good BBQ joint.

CaptainMusky

Ha just realized I was posting in wrong thread. LOL

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Bourbon Butcher in Farmington is very good and their Smokey Manhattans are supreme.
    I usually get the Brisket dinner and I cannot eat all 3 slabs they put on your plate, they also have a smoked Elk sausage that they smoke to perfection.

Home

404 ERROR
    MN

EPG nailed it. Bourbon Butcher is the best BBQ I’ve had in the metro. Lucky its only 15 minutes away.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rubberduck wrote:</div>

Similar to the Brass Rail Lounge in mpls? Never been but I hear they have a great hotdog selection.

Scoreboard in Nashville is excellent. When the smokers are in the parking lot, you know you have a good BBQ joint.

No brass rail is just a small place is Grandy with what people say is the best broasted chicken.

Snake ii’s

Mine – all others pale in comparison. Fresh off the smoker is best.
    I’ve tried numerous places, most give you warmed up stuff from days past. Hate the overly sweet sauce most use, too.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Smoke Session BBQ food truck in East St. Paul. Hands down best brisket in east metro!

Brad Dimond

Black Market is a pop up in St. Paul on Fridays. Everything I have had is great. Better because the kid picks it up.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.