Family traditions dying off

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I think our family hunting party is dying off. In 1959 my great uncle bought an acre of land in st louis County. A year later my grandfather (his brother) bought the surrounding 40 acres. Since that time countless members of our family have hunted that property every year. There was a core group of guys who would come up every year come rain or shine. I started hunting with my grandpa at age 15 though I didn’t really commit to it until I was about 27. In the last 10 years I’ve looked forward to deer shack opener every year like a kid on Christmas morning. This year it looks like we have only 3 members of the family heading up and im the only one taking time off work to head up early. Traditionally Thursday was always the night to party and we would all drink and tell stories. Sounds like this year ill be doing that alone.

My cousin is 72 and won’t be able to go much longer. His dad was the one who originally purchased the land in 1959 and my cousin was one of the founding members of the clan. Once he’s gone idk what will happen. Ill still be there but idk who will be there with me. Eventually my kids will be ready to give it a try and hopefully they can continue the tradition.

I guess I’m just feeling sad and a little lost right now. Anyone else feel the loss of a hunting family tradition? This can be an opportunity to make it something different but I can’t help but feel the end of a great era is upon me.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This will be my 26th season at deer camp. When I first started at 12 years old my Great Grandfather was still going for a couple seasons. We’ve slowly lost older guys over the years. We’ve added a few young ones but the dedication is not even remotely close to what it used to be. We all used to stay until Tuesday after opener. Then it was Monday. Now everyone in our camp except my Father and I leaves on Sunday at noon. My Father and I are the only 2 left in a 10 man cabin on Sunday night.

3 people backed out this year. 2 older guys and one guy who drives from Michigan. I understand not going this season with a pandemic going on and their age. But I feel like they won’t be going again in the future either.

To me, the younger generation of hunters that has started after me, including 2 of my younger cousins, are not dedicated. They leave their stand after a couple hours, they spend more time on their phones than they do watching for deer, and they only hunt for a day and a half. Its kind of depressing as crappie already stated. I still intend to go and hunt for the entire 9 day season. The lack of hunters won’t stop me.

castle-rock-clown

My heart goes out to you. My fellow hunting camp partners are either gone or have abandoned hunting. I fortunately have new family members, both grown men who hunt but up until just a few years ago I was estranged from due to a nasty divorce in my family 50 years ago…

What I’m getting at is maybe the originals no longer make it to camp, but others over time may be the next generation.

My immediate family including young granddaughters don’t hunt, but I still get them up in the off season to our 40 acres to help install food plots, tend and harvest the fruit and berry orchard I put in, and camp. They love the outdoors and are showing interest in fishing.

I hope your future becomes rebuilt with new souls and your traditions carry on for many more generations.

Dave R.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I hear you Crappie. Billy’s family deer shack was once a place of gathering for deer season… stuffing 10+ guys and kids into the shack for a fun weekend of hunting, hard work, games of 31 by the lantern, and comradery. As kids grew and went on to college, other activites, and starting their own families the group slowly dwindled. Billy’s dad (Bill) was a bit of a curmudgeon and didn’t want any “newbies” to join the shack for deer season. It took several years of Billy and Don trying to convince Bill to let me come up – he was a “no girls allowed” kinda hunter, but I quickly earned my keep. The group shrank to the 3 of them and me the last few years. Bill and Billy’s passing brought the abrupt end to it all. I’m glad I was able to join the group for those last several years and I have lots of fun memories, but it’s still sad to see it end.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Our group used to be ~15 or so guys who would be there by noon on Friday until late Sunday night (Buffalo County WI). The uncle who really did everything to get the shack up and ready passed, another leader of the group had a major stroke, and some family BS in total has left us with 6 guys who show up the same as usual. Thankfully there are 4 youngins invested in it who will hopefully fill in some voids. Everyone is 100x more invested in archery, with many having homes full of shoulder mounts. 4 of the 6 guys left rarely pull the trigger during the gun season. If it’s not a 160″ deer, they pass. It’s very different from the days of 15 guys stacking up 30 deer opening weekend. The opportunities and number of deer are probably higher now, but the concept of hunting has changed completely in our group and area.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

This is exactly what happened to us. We had a group of almost 15 plus that would see maybe a 100 deer during the opener packed with a ton of traditions and fun. 15 years later the property has been parsed twice due to inheritance and lack of interest. Some of it is due to lack of hunting interests, cost, sports, work and the work to maintain, the deer population being almost nonexistent and others in the group more interested in hunting in leased areas elsewhere that produce “ big “ bucks. None of which I can blame them for, but it seems hunting is less about getting together, but more about the horns each year.I honestly don’t see this changing, so it is what it is..

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

This is something I have always wanted to have for a tradition. I will be trying my best to buy some land and start that. I went to a buddys last year and it was a blast for rifle season. Didnt see much but I totally understand the love of it. If you ever need another guy let me know jester

Brad Dimond

I started hunting with my best friend at his family shack in 1975. The first generation of hunters has all passed on and recruitment from younger generations is down. There used to be 15 of us from three generations, this year will be 8 at most from two generations. Some of my fondest memories come from that place – deer hunting, grouse hunting, summer maintenance and more. Always great to be there in the fall with guys who have been my friends since grade school and their families.

Deuces

PETA looking at this thread like….
    lol

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Just part of life bud! I get where you’re coming from, but if it’s important to you, you can make it happen. It may not be the same, but it could be better in some ways. I think I’ve been a part of 3-4 different camps over the years, and likely will be in one or two more before my sons can hunt. And those should be the best ones yet!

Snap

Hundreds of similar stories, crappie. In our family we’ve lost the older generation. The new generation is losing interest. For my part i’m so fed up with things like APR regs, constant zone and season changes, and perpetual CWD scare mongering that it leaves such a bad taste in my mouth that I have no interest in participating in or funding that nonsense anymore. The kids don’t show much interest yet and with the way things are enforcement-wise i’m not over-enthusiastic about exposing them to it. They can do other things to keep themselves busy and not be worried about getting robbed of their hunting equipment or thrown in jail because they mis-counted tines or some other stupid law like that.

Angler II

Hundreds of similar stories, crappie. In our family we’ve lost the older generation. The new generation is losing interest. For my part i’m so fed up with things like APR regs, constant zone and season changes, and perpetual CWD scare mongering that it leaves such a bad taste in my mouth that I have no interest in participating in or funding that nonsense anymore. The kids don’t show much interest yet and with the way things are enforcement-wise i’m not over-enthusiastic about exposing them to it. They can do other things to keep themselves busy and not be worried about getting robbed of their hunting equipment or thrown in jail because they mis-counted tines or some other stupid law like that.

I completely agree with the apr rules but that shouldn’t be a reason to discourage hunting. We need the next generation of hunters in the field.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I guess I’m the minority in the way I think.

It’s what YOU make of it.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Young people, or many of them, have changed. Technology and the social aspect of it have become their way of life in ways that I see as negative, primarily their dependence on technology. Way too many young people today look at guns [and hunting] as a social bane even if they’ve grown up in hunting families.

CWD has been broadcast all over the country and people who once enjoyed eating venison are now petrified that doing so will expose them and their families to all sorts of untold horrors. Thank you media.

Gun control laws have had their negative effects on hunting too but in large part these laws and the impact on hunting are hinged on some other legal aspect.

APRs may have their place in some areas, but not where deer populations are healthy and offer the big heads without help. Still, accidents can happen with even experienced hunters and fines and weapons confiscation threats probably exist in apr areas which can further remove the fun aspect of hunting and if there was ever a point to be made in the argument against aprs, this one would be a dandy.

The list of probable causes for the lack of interest in hunting could go on and on but the most viable one is best called social one. Just about every reason to not hunt was one that was never discussed or thought of years ago when hunting was an institution that never got questioned and eating what was taken was family tradition boils down to social pressure garnered either on a phone or in social circles where the internet sets the standards. Todays phones and all of the internet access that younger people have access to today, along with an ugly addiction to social acceptance, have left little time for them to enjoy the camaraderie of a hunting camp or party. Darned few kids today want to spend time afield with their parents because of sports commitments or not being able to set aside the phone long enough to find out what the hunting institution means. To those younger people who have or do partake in hunting, my hat is off to them because they are free from the social handcuffs. Still parents need to make a very concerted effort to get kids interested in the shooting sports and hunt and then that interest constant requires nurturing during the off season. Its no different than football or basketball or any other sport….there are those who gravitate to what they are just naturally good at. Hunting/shooting also have these naturals. Its those who need a bit of a push and support that are on the fence and if parents don’t nudge them in the direction of hunting/shooting its all too easy for the kids to fall into the social gaps that are far less healthy.

The shrinking numbers of hunting camps, adult deer hunters and young hunter recruitment is alive and well and social elements are to blame. Getting and keeping these institutions alive starts at home and at a very young age. So if you want to carry on a tradition or start a tradition of hunting or a hunting camp, make time NOW, while hunting is happening, to set down with the kids and share with them what and why you leave the house with a gun. Tradition starts in the living room or the basement or the den or the garage. Its certainly not taught in school nor is it taught in many telephone social circles.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Growing up deer hunting was something we did quickly and during farming harvest.
    Every now and then I’ll go home and pop a deer at the end of the year and that’s about as tradition as it got for us. SW MN.

I’ve been hunting SE MN the past 15 years with a whole variety of friends and their traditions. Most invitations stemmed from college friends. Joining two different hunting parties this year, one this coming weekend and another the next. Ok, both parties have phenomenal land, but I am more excited to be invited to the family traditions. I hope I don’t disappoint in any way, I’m largely laid up right now with sciatic nerve pain and a ruptured disc. Typically I’d offer to take the longest walk or to drag deer etc.

Being invited to a hunting party is not something I take lightly, it’s quite an honor imo. Having been involved in over a dozen family hunting traditions over the years has changed my hunting from a quick hunt and kill mentality to enjoyment from the party of people your hunting with.

Crappie, consider inviting someone into your traditions, with your crews approval of course.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

As society moves into their own little cocoons you will see more and more of this I think.
    Todays kids are home schooling or distance learning which doesn’t encourage interacting with others. In the old days part of Deer camp was getting out of school and being with dad & uncles for a few special days. Today it’s school everyday and dad doesn’t burn vacation days to sit in a cold woods to maybe see a Deer.

I have never been a part of a Deer camp or any hunting trips for that matter. But I can see where things have changed and it’s not for the better either I don’t think.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

WOW very interesting thread!!!!!!! waytogo waytogo

our deer camp has always been the cabin in northern mn. my parents bought that when i was 6. my very first deer camp was in 1972. my dad basiclly had a limit of 6 people. as time went some left, maybe with dads help, some joined. my dad passed 15 years ago and dads friend 2 years later, so camp has been mostly myself my son my brother and his son, and my stepson when he gets his crap together. he’s an adult now and i quit financing his deer hunt so that ended.

we have had friends of our kids, they came and went and now only have one, but we wont have more than 5 or 6. much to Sharons chagrin probably the first weekend, is a no girls thing but after that i am open to allow anyone up. hey if they take an interest in hunting, i’m all for it.my brother and his kid are hunting wisconsin after minn opener anyway!!!!

being th first deer season since i’m retired…i’m not sure when i’ll come home!!!!!!! waytogo devil

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I agree with Fish Blood. I used to hunt with my dad in shotgun only land close to us, so deer camp was not really a thing. I have been lucky enough to be invited to a established deer camp with a friend and for the last 3 years have earned my merit by helping drag deer and cook or clean or whatever was needed. I feel honored to be a part of it and think if you invite the right people you can rebuild a deer camp. Most kids now could care less and just want to be on there phones.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

2 years ago when DNR opened up the regulations in CWD land to allow hunters to hunt both A & B season i got introduced to a very long standing tradition.

I had hunted this land for several years now, and always had heard about the “B” Season guys. When I’d come back for muzzleloading season I’d see all the boot prints and some evidence of hunters. I’d hear stories of the “B” season “Rochester” boys.

So, two years ago i was invited to partake due to a rule change.

There were 12 OF THEM if not 15!
    Talk about feeling like i may be an unnecessary addition!
    All of them family, and all of them very welcoming.

Oldest actually owned the property many years ago. 3 full generations hunting together.

Classic SE MN hunters where the old guys would drink beer and hunt over the pickup truck hoods.

They were very concerned about me and my being safe during the drive, it was fun to hear them describe the woods as i was just as familiar and we quickly became OK with each other in regard to hunter safety. I pointed to the printed aerial maps in the “Shop” that they’ve likely been using for years; i’m a firm believer in “SAFE” drives and planned drives.

I participated in their deer drives, they were hooting and hollering as they pushed the woods – something i didn’t really understand. They have a noisy way about going about drives.

We shot two deer that first drive but apparently they only knew of one that was hit. We pushed that woods again that afternoon and this time i was allowed to be a walker; i ended up finding a doe that was also shot. Yipee!

After dark, the two youngest, 16-18yo girls, asked to go with me and my buddy to go gut and retrieve the deer. I told them they can go, but might have to either walk back or sit on top the deer on the ranger – they were OK with either. I was surprised at their eagerness.

We get into the woods and find the buck, the girls said “OK, you guys gut this one and we’ll go find the other” … I chuckled and said, “Well i’m the only one who knows where the other one is, and it was gut shot, quite well ) so i’ll take care of that one”.

So off we go. We found the doe, had a beer, then I gutted the deer and my buddy and i drag it back to the girls. They were bickering and arguing, apparently each of them had the best way to break the pelvic bone lol – i just stood over and let them have their moment … Then interjected “Hey, do you girls want to see a trick?”, with excitement they say in unison “YES”. SO i showed them how to cut the a- hole out and leave the pelvic bone in place.

Ok girls, drag that buck to the ranger – and away they go down the hill. We followed with the doe. *Turns out they dropped the knives on the hill, we went back for them the next morning – i’m just glad one of them didn’t end up in us as it wasn’t a graceful hill to drag a deer down!

This party is the type to bring a full deer to a locker. I volunteered to debone the meat for them the next day.

Next morning, late, I’m butchering these two deer, Vikings game on, 12 guys watching the game drinking beer and who helps me butcher these deer? The two girls!! How awesome!

The party ended up giving me the two deer as they just weren’t too interested in the meat anyway, more the comradery.

Quite the ‘different’ group that I’ve been with before. Their routine is to get hammered drunk Friday night. Do a deer drive or two once the hangovers settle Saturday. Repeat Saturday night with the drinking, and maybe hunt a little Sunday depending on how they feel. Some might describe this to be the “Orange Army”.

Prior to meeting the group, I thought “Who the heck are you letting plumule through the woods on B season?” After hunting with them, I realized they’re doing a lot to try to keep the family going back to the old family farm for the weekend. I was honored to be a part of their group. Also honored the landowners (My buddies dad) let them have their way with the woods and property every year.

Last year I could only participate on the Friday night activities as I was driving to North Carolina the next day to see my daughter.

So we got proper drunk per tradition. One guy was doing that shot where you lick the salt, put lime in your eye, and drink a shot!

He’s a family man who i think just lets loose on this trip, as do several of the group if not most.

I hung out while they did their first drive that morning before i left (I was quite hungover myself). First drive is about a 2 mile walk with a break in between. I waited at the break to give rides to the posters. Shot in the eye guy was ‘hurtn’ lol. So i had water and other beverages one might require doing a drive in SE MN. )

One of the others might’ve lost his breakfast along the way. Ha. hurtin units they were. I shuttled folks around and then waited at the end of the drive, my hangover just wasn’t motivating me to drive yet or hunt frankly and i enjoyed their company. All deer were safe that weekend )

Here’s a photo of them walking (most of them) out of the woods at the end of the first drive. Not a shot fired, not an excuse given. Bunch of stinky boooze sweating guys just out enjoying their traditions. I handed each of them a bunch of brats i made from the deer they gifted me the year prior! Happy happy group. I cannot wait to see them in a few weeks!

That’s one good think CWD brought to the Party Tom, introduced me to the B season party.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20191123_205810_356.jpg

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Our tradition has spanned over 100 yrs. It was basically all drive hunting until the mid 90s. At one point it was a neighborhood hunt then family only. Over the years the old guard is gone or retired. The group has become quite small and there have been limitations to land access for various reasons. I have primarily bow hunted the last 10 years. New take on deer hunting with all the ideas that come with it. Even though the area and participation is smaller a lot of things are fresh and new for me. The years of standing on drives with hearing deer coming in to materialize has shaped the experience I enjoy. I commonly seek similar situations with the bow despite the lack of productivity. There are always nooks and crannies to explore.

I think of it more as a new chapter of a long book.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I totally agree, Crappie. Deer camps are a priceless experience and they are disappearing fast.

My father was a member of a big northwoods MN deer camp, the only Czech in an otherwise all Finnlander camp starting in the 1960s. It was a huge group, the shack slept about 18. Whack and stack style drive hunting, lots of card playing and cigar/pipe smoking. Great times.

I started going with him as soon as I was old enough to hunt. My memories of dad as a hunter will always be rooted in the big woods era, as an on-the-run shooter of running deer in thick timber, dad will never have an equal. He shot his Remington pump gun so fast I swear I’ve seen 2 empty cases hanging in the air as he touched off yet a third shot.

The group broke up for rather tragic reasons as two of the organizers died together in an accident. From there, we all went our separate ways. Dad and I hunted for many years as guests on a large farm owned by a family friend. Great hunting, but over the years the party on this VAST property has dwindled from 20+ hunters on opening weekend to 3-4 hunters.

I bought my own property coming up on 10 years ago now. Even in that time, I have seen neighboring camps dwindle to half or less of the hunters that were there when I first took over the property.

It is just my father and I hunting my entire property. I have tried to get others to join, but here’s where I’m going to disagree with what others are seeing as the causes of the decline of hunting camp.

I don’t blame cell phones, iPads, the internet, or anti-hunting in society. They all may well contribute, but I think there is a bigger factor–time.

We are a chronically, maniacally time-starved society. Nothing can be done in moderation anymore so we literally have no time for anything, much less hunting.

Example? Well, obviously, kids’ sports and activities. Hockey used to be the worst and now all other sports and activities have caught up. 20 game youth football seasons, 8-year-olds playing in multi-day basketball tournaments, 4 seasons of the same sport, dance competitions with international contestants.

Adults are the same. My father was very hard working back in his workdays and put in so many hours I hardly saw him during the week as he was gone before I got up and for days on end he came home after I’d gone to bed. Now it seems like every other adult is working like this. My wife works for a big name software firm out in the Valley and she regularly is on the phone before 7 AM and does her last call after 10 at night.

Who the hell has TIME to hunt anymore? This chronic business has a lot to do with the decline of hunting.

BTW, I renew my offer if anyone out there has no place to take their son/daughter hunting and is interested in a doe or cull buck hunt (rifle or bow) in MN, get in touch. I am considering opening up my property to guests with youth hunters so they can experience hunting and a hunting camp.

Grouse

Anonymous
    Inactive

Grouse, Most every time you post I am more impressed with you. What an incredible generous offer. I hope some day I can meet and shake your hand, you are a good guy.

Jeff

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

I really hope people are not still doing the “boys only” type of trips. You can’t complain about lack of attendance or lack of interest when you are purposely excluding over 50% of the pool of candidates. Our hunting group includes one of my sisters and she is more excited about deer hunting every year than any of us!

Scott

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I totally agree, Crappie. Deer camps are a priceless experience and they are disappearing fast.

My father was a member of a big northwoods MN deer camp, the only Czech in an otherwise all Finnlander camp starting in the 1960s. It was a huge group, the shack slept about 18. Whack and stack style drive hunting, lots of card playing and cigar/pipe smoking. Great times.

I started going with him as soon as I was old enough to hunt. My memories of dad as a hunter will always be rooted in the big woods era, as an on-the-run shooter of running deer in thick timber, dad will never have an equal. He shot his Remington pump gun so fast I swear I’ve seen 2 empty cases hanging in the air as he touched off yet a third shot.

The group broke up for rather tragic reasons as two of the organizers died together in an accident. From there, we all went our separate ways. Dad and I hunted for many years as guests on a large farm owned by a family friend. Great hunting, but over the years the party on this VAST property has dwindled from 20+ hunters on opening weekend to 3-4 hunters.

I bought my own property coming up on 10 years ago now. Even in that time, I have seen neighboring camps dwindle to half or less of the hunters that were there when I first took over the property.

It is just my father and I hunting my entire property. I have tried to get others to join, but here’s where I’m going to disagree with what others are seeing as the causes of the decline of hunting camp.

I don’t blame cell phones, iPads, the internet, or anti-hunting in society. They all may well contribute, but I think there is a bigger factor–time.

We are a chronically, maniacally time-starved society. Nothing can be done in moderation anymore so we literally have no time for anything, much less hunting.

Example? Well, obviously, kids’ sports and activities. Hockey used to be the worst and now all other sports and activities have caught up. 20 game youth football seasons, 8-year-olds playing in multi-day basketball tournaments, 4 seasons of the same sport, dance competitions with international contestants.

Adults are the same. My father was very hard working back in his workdays and put in so many hours I hardly saw him during the week as he was gone before I got up and for days on end he came home after I’d gone to bed. Now it seems like every other adult is working like this. My wife works for a big name software firm out in the Valley and she regularly is on the phone before 7 AM and does her last call after 10 at night.

Who the hell has TIME to hunt anymore? This chronic business has a lot to do with the decline of hunting.

BTW, I renew my offer if anyone out there has no place to take their son/daughter hunting and is interested in a doe or cull buck hunt (rifle or bow) in MN, get in touch. I am considering opening up my property to guests with youth hunters so they can experience hunting and a hunting camp.

Grouse

I could not agree more with everything you said. Time is the factor. Time in a lot of ways is also linked to those annoying devices that people like to blame. Everyone needs to be connected and see instant gratification in real-time. Sports updates, notifications, emails, snapchats, etc. By the way, before we bash every teen and child as “device addicted”, who exactly purchased/pays for those devices? whistling To me, the people purchasing the devices are the issue in many cases.

My life is a rat race and I admit its faults. I have become worse and worse at stopping what I am doing, leaving email, game film, work, projects, etc alone. Gun season hunting is the ultimate time waster – but in the best way possible. Sure there are other things that could be done, need to be done, should be done…but at some point the cliché old saying of whether people live to work or work to live comes into play. Take the time and enjoy it. Time is the most important unknown variable in life.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Gun season hunting is the ultimate time waster – but in the best way possible.

When I was younger and I first started going, I found it to be ungodly boring. Kids and teenagers have an incredibly short attention span. The first couple of seasons were so boring I contemplated not going again. Then I started seeing more deer because I was more patient. You can’t just sit there for an hour or two and then bail. I found that out the hard way.

Nowadays, I find myself simply enjoying the time out there and the solitude and peacefulness it provides. It really offers some stress-free time just sitting there and observing nature. It can still be boring for long periods of time, but I’ve learned to tolerate it now and enjoy it for what it is.

I’ve also learned that you can’t make people do something they don’t want to do. If they don’t wanna go or be a part of it anymore, that’s on them. If they won’t sit there for more than an hour or two and wonder why they don’t see any deer, its obvious why. Its their own fault. It comes down to will power and mental fortitude, and the amount of patience a person has. Just my 2 cents.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I really hope people are not still doing the “boys only” type of trips. You can’t complain about lack of attendance or lack of interest when you are purposely excluding over 50% of the pool of candidates. Our hunting group includes one of my sisters and she is more excited about deer hunting every year than any of us!

Scott

I think this is an important part of hunting’s future. And I love seeing it. A few days ago I was in our Scheels on a boot buying expedition. After getting the boots I swung over to pick up 209 primers and checked on some powder and there was a young lady, maybe 20-24 years old, with a salesman shouldering a Savage slug shotgun. I overheard her say “nope this is exactly what I want but I will need a scope to go with it and an assortment of slugs”. That’s what the hunting future needs….well informed women with a mind of their own. I love seeing that.

In many ways, “tradition” has nearly dealt the dead blow to hunting and shooting sports so , by today’s standards, the more women who get involved, the better in my opinion.

I have two very adult daughters and both have had their times on the shooting bench with me. The oldest daughter accompanied my on many hunting outings but didn’t want to carry a gun or shoot anything. The youngest is 39 years old, single and happy as a lark. She surprised me the other day when she texted me saying she’d just passed her conceal carry class. I about fell out of my chair. I asked her where this was coming from and she said that she wanted to learn more about gun safety and handling and was maybe thinking about buying a handgun in the future adding that we could do the range thing again together, her with a gun she can handle and me with my “blunderbuss”. She asked me about reloading of all things. Miracles do happen.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

…and there was a young lady, maybe 20-24 years old, with a salesman shouldering a Savage slug shotgun. I overheard her say “nope this is exactly what I want but I will need a scope to go with it and an assortment of slugs”. That’s what the hunting future needs….well informed women with a mind of their own. I love seeing that.

Totally agree. This is what hunting needs and it IS happening.

I have a number of women customers at Midwest Monster who are quite clearly in charge of managing their hunting properties. One customer in particular is becoming quite well-known but going back years she was just a woman who loved hunting and happened to be the one who had the time to manage her family’s hunting property, so she makes all the seed and planting decisions. She does “getting started” hunting camps for women and they now book up years in advance.

Anyone who cares about the survival of the sport cannot also be carrying on with an outmoded “boys only” attitude. The future has to include everyone.

Grouse

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

We have seen the same thing at our camp and I HOPE we are now at the bottom of the cycle. When I started hunting 16 years ago, there was roughly 10-12 people (depending on the weekend) rifle hunting our 500 acres, but nowadays its myself, my dad, two of my uncles, and my great uncle. My grandma and great aunt passed, some others have moved on to their own property, and my grandpa spends his falls/winters in Texas now. As they say, “you don’t know what you got ’til its gone” is too true with our camp. What I would give to pull up to the house (our “shack” is my grandparents house) and have the hustle and bustle of everyone eating dinner after each day hunting and telling stories about how the day went.

That being said, my daughter is 2.5, my uncle has a 3 year old, and we both have another on the way so hopefully our kids will have a similar camp experience that I was fortunate enough to have.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

crappie

This has Been on my mind since I first read this.

What have you done or attempting to do to continue what you have done or establish a new tradition? Just knowing life evolves, new people come to be, other die, life circumstances alter our activities. We had nearly 100 years of tradition change when land was sold to outside the family following a death, land lost in another family situation, older members passed away, and we ultimately had to move on. My Father and I bought a small farm and started over. Now it’s a much smaller scale, but the quality of time with a close friend, my daughters and hosting a free hunt to a youth hunter has been incredible.

Our circumstances have changed, many of the people have changed, but I’ve kept the tradition of sharing time and experiences continues

Gitchi Gummi

By the way, before we bash every teen and child as “device addicted”, who exactly purchased/pays for those devices? To me, the people purchasing the devices are the issue in many cases.

Thank you for pointing this out! I wanted to say something along the same lines after watching person after person continually bash the “younger generation”… Everyone loves to put the blame on the younger generation for how they act, yet the people who raised that younger generation don’t take any of the blame themselves. Ironic.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.